Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Ideas on steel suppliers or fabricators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on steel suppliers or fabricators?

hi guy's, I'm doing a special build at the mo but need some material to finish it.

I have tried searching the net, but with little success to find a supplier of steel hollow tube with the dimensions I need.

I am looking for a rounded steel hollow tube a meter long with a 30mm outer diameter, but with between 8-10mm diameter hollow through it (enough for a inner barrel to fit).

The inner hollow can be slightly bigger as I could always make up some spacers, but no more than 12-13mm

So if any one knows of a supplier that can help or a fabrication company that has the means to drill 8-10mm through a meter length bar please let me know guys.

many thanks

mike

Re: Ideas on steel suppliers or fabricators?

You'd best talk to a gunsmith/weapons company, you need a gun drill to drill that sort of thing out.

The other thing to search for is thick walled pipe. A quick google lead me to these guys.
    http://www.elgcarrs.co.uk

You do realise how heavy that much steel will be right?
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Cheers fella, although I don't think I really need to talk to a gun smith as there should be lots of fabrication places that could do it.
      Because it wouldn't of been a problem until the factory next door to my work went bust, as they did that kinda thing all day long, but on 8-10 meter lengths.

plus that link is to a company that mainly make high speed steel tools etc.

As for weight, it could be any grade steel i.e mild steel really. plus most of it will be lathed down, just one end which is the thickest is 30mm.

Comment

What dave38x means is that when you're drilling that kind of depth, you need to use the process known as 'gun drilling' (the same process they use on barrels) because the industry standard for deviation in normal drilling is about 1mm in every 10cm, I think. So with a 100cm-long tube the chances of the drill bit poking out the side of your tube before it reaches the end are high. Most fabrication places I've spoken to can't even promise to do a 14" barrel with any accuracy, so a 40" barrel would be a bit of a struggle.

I think dave38x's got the right idea, though; buying extruded pipe (which comes in much longer lengths at a much lower price than buying cylinders and drilling them) is probably the best solution. You could also get the end that you want 30mm thick sleeved up to that length if the rest of the pipe isn't that wide?

Comment

Mikey- I came across their website searching for small batch thick walled pipe, which is why I pasted the link

Sent from outer space

Comment

most motor factors will sell 30mm exhaust tube ,very cheep then cap the end and use spacers like you get for sniper barrels only bigger ,it will be miles lighter as well ,a meter of 30mm near solid steel will be uber heavy ,way heavier than you want to carry as an airsoft gun.or try metals4you

Comment

Ah i see puresilver, plus my apologies dave as only saw the link on my phone.
              I need it to be thick walled as its to make a gpmg barrel from steel. So the fattest point is 30mm but the smallest is 18mm as the bar will be lathed down, hense i cant use a steel tube because walls arent thick enough. I have found places that do hollow bars but the inner diameter is either too big or too small. Cant seem to find 1 that does a 10mm hole. To be honest the outer diam could be bigger as its getting lathed anyway.

Comment

It is a bit of a quandary that then.

Suddenly the weight of the thing makes sense, if its for a gimpy!

Comment

Would you settle for aluminium? Much easier to get in the dims you require.

SAS

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                    Suddenly the weight of the thing makes sense, if its for a gimpy!
                    yea, theres been a bit of a co*k up and the barrel has been stuffed up a bit (too long to explain) but its possibly fixable but need to have a another built in case.

Originally posted by Sidewinderforge View Post
                    Would you settle for aluminium?
                    afraid not as need it to be steel.

Comment

what i did for my bren barrel was use several sections of tube sleeved over each other and welded then lath turned to appear like one seamless piece, time consuming but a simple solution and can look perfect given enough time and effort , the sleeved steel tube came from metals for you http://www.metals4u.co.uk/Mild-Steel/6/products.asp not the cheapest but very good company.

Comment

There are a few companies that do custom orders but I'd imagine it's for bulk only...

This company
                        does 30x15mm, bit bigger ID but some nice inserts wouldn't look out of place...?

EDIT: didnt see the bit about the 18mm lathing...
                        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

I'm a blacksmith. And I think you'll struggle to buy in the dimensions you require. I can't think of anywhere that would stock tube like that.

You're better off buying solid bar and getting it machined.
                          http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/produ...teel-round-bar

These guys are very good.
                          Originally posted by Coz
                          Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                          http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

I still think weight will be a massive issue here... I don't mean to cause any offence here as I don't know your background but do you release how much it will actually weigh?
                            sigpic

Comment

Same as a RS gimpy barrel possibly?
                              Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                              If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Darkmikey22 Find out more about Darkmikey22
                              Working...
                              X