SRC G36 Gen 2 vs Gen 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRC G36 Gen 2 vs Gen 3

Differences, I know the gear box is a lot better but what are the external differences that you can see to tell the difference between them?
    I am looking at getting the Gen 3 but want to know little bits about it like 9.4v is ok in them?
    can I use a lipo? is a lipo a lot better?
    etc.
    thank you in advance

Re: SRC G36 Gen 2 vs Gen 3

Externally they are identical .

Comment

If you're going to run a 9.4V through the SR36, make sure you remove the fuse*, as it will blow out.

---Edit---

*and put a link in there
      sigpic
      "I are God, lol."

Comment

My friend had one of those. I found SRC's Gen 2 gearboxes to be utter garbage. The piston is very susceptible to stripping and the gearbox casing can shatter very easily since its not reinforced. The Gen 3's however are amazing, they're shimmed correctly and perform better in every way than the Gen 2's. Externally they are identical. The trigger response on a 8. something battery leaves a lot to be desired so I would recommend 9.6 but if it has a fuse inside it, which the one my friend had (Gen 3 G36C) didn't, then you may need to take that out or replace it with a higher rated fuse.

- - - Updated - - -

7.4 Lipo batteries often give comparable performance to 9.6 nimh batteries in terms of trigger response and rof. I don't know if you'll be able to fit a 9.6 inside the handguard of a G36C as I have no experience personally with those, but lipo batteries are very small and can fit just about anywhere with the right one.

Comment

Thank you all, so without opening the gun up (that will void your warranty with some places) there is no way to tell if they actually sent u a V3 or a V2... Has no1 ever been scammed? I just don't know if I can trust them like that (not zero-one they are ace) and what do I need to do/buy to make a lipo work?

Comment

My son has a gen 2 and it has been running on a 7.4 lipo 2200 mah for 2 years with no issues whatsoever . I just treated it to a madbull tightbore and new hop rubber and it massively increased its range and accuracy . Not a bad gun at all .

Comment

Hi guys, I have just purchased a SRC G36 from a mate of mine... i know nothing about the gun and my mate can't remember.

I have no experience with the tech side of airsofting yet, so how do i know if it is a gen 2 or 3 gearbox? is there going to be anything obvious?

Cheers,
              DSharp90
              DSharp90

Check out my website: DSharp90.co.uk | Gun reviews, Site Reviews, Tips & Tricks and Lots, lots more to come...

Comment

Gen 2 box uses 6mm bearings gen 3 uses 8mm bearings

Comment

Thanks for the reply Stealthkiller. After carefully taking the gun apart this morning I measured the bearing and they appear to be 6mm... meaning it's a Gen 2 gearbox. Perfect, I now know what I'm firing n the field.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful reply.

DSharp90
                  DSharp90

Check out my website: DSharp90.co.uk | Gun reviews, Site Reviews, Tips & Tricks and Lots, lots more to come...

Comment

I had that gun, here are some useful pointers for upgrading:

The gun uses a non-standard G36C hop up, this is a pain because the hop is not great and if you want to upgrade it you need to buy a JG magwell.
                    The standard SRC piston is awful, I have had two strip on me. Replace it with a better one such as lonex.
                    The spring in the gun loses FPS quite quickly. I recomend replacing it or even better buying a powerful spring and then cutting it down.
                    The motor is very ineffectient and will eat up your battery. A 1600mah 8.4v gets used up in about 3-4 hours.

Message me if you want any more infomation about the gun.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Charlie_,

I am sure that over time your advice on upgrades would be very helpful! What would you suggest I upgrade first? I don't know how much it's been used in the past so I have no idea it is time to resign it or it's just starting it's life... =P

Thanks
                      DSharp90

Comment

Theres nothing special about the Gen 3's at all. The Gen 2 were a better bet. It's simply a marketing tactic that consists of commonplace and forum known upgraded specs (such as 8mm bearings, super torque motors, etc..) The fact is that they did with good intentions attempt to provide a better gun, but the benefits of the "upgraded" parts are larged washed out by the fact that they overlooked the other key areas which are prone to failure, particularly with the higher performance parts that have been installed, the motor is one of them.

I have worked on countless SRC G36's and can say these are probably the worst value for money. The external feel is about the best they have going for them, but as soon as things start to go wrong, it can be a slippery slope. Only the V3 gearbox is compatible. The barrel assembly and takedown is different to TM and those that have cloned it (the majority), it appears SRC used most of the TM as a base, but changed barrel takedown and made it long winded.

Problems that Plague the Gen 3's in particular (in order of severity through my experience of repairing them)
                        * Switch Block Terminals (accelerated wear due to the high torque motor that they use drawing significantly more current than the v3 spec terminals were designed for) - Semi auto heavy users will see this first
                        * Cut off lever (made of cheese, wears out fairly early if you are a heavy semi auto user) - When these go, you will have intermittent semi auto, or none at all.
                        * Piston rack (SHS OEM 1 steel tooth, Green piston) Seems soft. Nylon rack wears out quicker than it should, have had various patterns which can also suggest QC issues/improper meshing due to either piston body spec, or off spec mechbox dimensions.
                        * Gears - Axles, similar to the problems that plague G&P Gears - I have seen a few snap. Bevel gear also seems to give out fairly early.
                        * Cylinder Head - Possibly a bad batch from OEM (poor QC from supershooter/SHS), snapped nozzles.
                        * Tappet Plates - Had a few Fail without warning.
                        * Lower receiver/Fire selector seating. Soft nylon in conjunction with poor design means that the ball bearing (the click in the selector) wears away the plastic and you eventually end up with a mushy feeling fire selector.
                        * Tamiya battery Connectors (not suited at all to the setup, the motor they fit draws too much current for these and they heat up, problematic as they wear, and subsequently Performance drops)

Just a few parts I could find in the boneyard box this eve;

It's also worth pointing out that the inner barrel + paired cylinder are severely mismatched meaning reduced efficiency with common weights, and also un-nescessarily detrimental to piston timing, which could become an issue if you were in future looking to increase Rate of Fire.

All guns were stock, from new and only ran on 8.4v 1600mah Vapextech Packs.
                        dsgdreamteam

Comment

Hey sniperjesus, thanks for the post...

I mean... I only brought the gun really to be able to get on the airsoft easier. I just really liked the feel for the G36 layout and wondered if over time it could be upgraded and kept as my primary weapon for some time... I have been planning on another gun but that won't be for a little while. =P

I just have no idea about upgrading, so I'll likely break it anyway haha. but just wanted to know options....
                          DSharp90

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

You Fail Noob Find out more about You Fail Noob
                          Working...
                          X