Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silencer that works ?

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
    Air/gas coming out of an airsoft muzzle doesn't have the power to make a 'crack', if that's what you're getting then it might be more to do with the piston head... Do you have a sorbo pad installed?
    not sure if directed at me or OP, but i have a sorbo pad fitted and still get the 'crack' sound.
    it was most noticeable when i had the mp9 QD suppressor mount fitted to it, as without the suppressor it was pretty much just a sound hog.

im running a standard compensator on it now though and still have a distinctive 'crack' sound, just not as noticeable as when the QD mount was fitted.
    For Sale!
    TM M870 with a load of stuff
    A&K massada sniper spec
    Chronograph
    leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Was aimed at op, but that's what quietened my AKs74U down (as much as you can seeing as the steel trumpet muzzle makes a 'popping' sound...).
      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guy's.Plenty of interesting ideas and opinions.
        To answer a few questions.Yes I have done everything possible to reduce noise including sorbo and filling the stock with foam.
        Its also been shimmed perfectly and had the bushing replaced with bearings.
        It seems then that there is not enough air coming from the muzzle to be effectively silenced.
        I suppose I should just buy the biggest silencer I can fit/put up with and fill it with high density foam.

Si

Comment

Another well Silenced aeg is the aug shadow . Very rare , expensive and hand built with lots of soundproofing . Gearbox / receiver and a massive silencer. . They used dynamat and expanding foam and totally sealed the gearbox up . A really silent gun for an aeg .based around a tm aug .

Comment

Suppressors utilising baffles and insulating foam have a great effect on HPA guns. It's all to do with expansion of air and vibration of parts.

AEGs do not use compressed air, it simply pushes a volume out through a small hole (like putting your thumb over a hose pipe). The majority of the noise in an AEG is from the gearbox.

From my Polar Star's point of view, the sound is generated due the expansion of the compressed air. A suppressor that contains baffles and insulating foam is incredibly effective at making it quiet. The baffles and insulation foam create areas for the gas to expand and transfer the energy to. On the other hand a sound hog is also incredibly effective at making it stupidly loud... The sound isn't from any moving parts such as in a GBBR either before anyone tries to point this out.

The way a real suppressor works is it allows the gas to expand onto a metal surface. The metal conducts heat (heat causes expansion of gas) and causes the gas to contract. The aim is simply to reduce the volume, temperature and speed of the gas. A gun will actually make 2 sounds when shot - the sonic crack then gas expansion. The suppressor is designed for slowing down the gas. However it will not make the bullet subsonic. They are nothing like in movies/games with a quiet sound, in fact you can still damage your hearing with them. Imagine a phone book being slammed onto a concrete floor while your face is next to it. I spend quite a bit of time in the US every year on business and shoot with a load of "muh right to bear arms" folk, I get lectured about it.

Most suppressors will only reduce the decibels by 10-50. This is, however, dependent on calibre, powder, suppressor, gun internals etc.

Comment

The great majority of sound in an AEG comes from the movement of the gearbox. As has been suggested already, seal the gearbox up with insulating foam and then whack a full-length suppressor over as much of the barrel as you can manage.

Or buy a TM MK23. It's non-blowback so virtually no sound comes from the mechanism, and is incredibly quiet with the silencer fitted, as stated.

Comment

I've got the longer version of one of these, which made a noticeable difference to the noise on my MP5. Longer version used to be sold by Z1, but I can't find it on there at the moment (SS-100 I think)

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=2722

Doesn't suppress the gearbox noise, but it turned the noise out the barrel into more of a thud than a crack. Really surprised me as I only got one for the aesthetics. Only downside is that every suppressor (on every gun) I've tried has reduced the range a tiny bit. Not sure if it's a case of the hop needing minor adjustment though (although I spent a fair bit of time fiddling with it when I last took it out)

Comment

This is the kind of thread I was looking for. I thought real suppressors were illegal - not even the SAS use them (in this country)?

Aren't we essentially trying to make 'real' suppressors here?

Someone correct me, please.
                  sigpic
                  "I are God, lol."

Comment

I think the terminology most companies that sell them use is "Sound moderators" which is a legal technicality if I recall correctly?

Though I await some Google barrister pointing out my mistake chapter and verse.

Edit: They can be bought in a face to face transaction.
                    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by WillGreen View Post
                      This is the kind of thread I was looking for. I thought real suppressors were illegal - not even the SAS use them (in this country)?

Aren't we essentially trying to make 'real' suppressors here?

Someone correct me, please.
                      Nope, a suppressor is a lot more than just foam in a tube.

You can buy suppressors (sound moderators (as BAMF said) for .22 cal rifles,not sure on the legalities but ive seen them for sale when i was looking at getting a .22

Comment

Originally posted by WillGreen View Post
                        It's definitely bollocks to say that 'they' don't use them, and for replica and air weapons suppressors are 100% legal. In the U.S., you're absolutely screwed, but in the U.K. - as with much of the rest of Europe - we take a much more sensible approach, which is that the noise of firearms is usually extremely annoying at range, bad for your hearing up close, and generally ought to be suppressed as much as possible. I don't know the exact statutes, but quoting the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                        In the United Kingdom, sales of suppressors fall into four categories of use. For replica and air guns, the purchase of a suppressor requires no license and in most cases, no identification requirement. For shotguns, [purchase of a suppressor] will probably require the presentation of the buyer's shotgun certificate but will not be recorded. If the shotgun is classified as a firearm (where capacity exceeds 3 cartridges) the firearm certificate (FAC) will need to show permission for the purchase of a suppressor. For a small- or full-bore rifle, the firearm certificate (FAC) will need to show permission for the purchase of a suppressor and also the gun for which it is intended. All firearms certificates have the firearm and caliber approved by the police and annotated to the document before a suppressor may be purchased. Police forces usually approve applications for a suppressor for hunting and target shooters, as the risks of litigation for personal injury, especially high-tone deafness resulting from shooting-induced hearing loss, are significant; and noise pollution in general is a problem for shooting sports.

Comment

Yep, you just need a firearms license for a suppressor in the UK (and probably a good reason too)... I'm sure the SAS have some kind of FAC exemption, I think it's called the MOD... If there are no images/records of the SAS using them it's probably down to ballistics/tactical reasons, or just because.
                          Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                          If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

They use MP5 SD's so i assume they have them on other guns.

Probably not many pics as when you put a suppressor on a gun it means you are out to kill without others being alerted, not something they want in the media.

Here we go

http://www.eliteukforces.info/galler.../sas-mp5sd.php

Comment

Supressors aren't banned in the UK, however if one is on a fac ticket then it stays on ticket, especially if proofed for certain calibres, one example is the old SAC silencer, it could be both for airrifles off ticket or on ticket for fac, as for silencers/moderators used by 'professionals' we use then in the UK and are the full deal all that was needed was an authorisation from the govt for them to be used in this way.
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sigee Find out more about sigee
                              Working...
                              X