Barrell extension silencer - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrell extension silencer - help please

Need some help everyone, my ca m15 cqb doesn't have great range and whilst this is fine for cqb I just can't compete in woodland.

I did think about getting a longer barrell and putting a silencer on the end but when playing cqb it is a bit to long and I don't know if I want the hastle of swapping barrells out.

I have seen a qd barrell extension silencer - madbull gemtech or similar and was wanting peoples opinions on these, such as does it work and actually provide a longer barrell as ideally I would be to keep existing short barrell and then when I go to woodland I can throw on the extension silencer, I don't expect it to be as good as a normal length barrell but am hoping it does increase range

any help/assistance welcome
    sigpic

Re: Barrell extension silencer - help please

2 things.

The "barrel extensions" do not extend the inner barrel, so have no effect whatsoever on accuracy. In fact, as the occasional BB can clip the side of the silencer, they can actually reduce accuracy.

The length of the inner barrel has very little effect on range. In a real gun, the longer the barrel, the longer the range (as a general rule) as the propellant has longer to accelerate the round down the barrel. In an airsoft gun, the acceleration is almost instantaneous as there is no expansion of gasses, just the volume of air in the cylinder being pushed in 1 big lump into the inner barrel.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi mate i am having the same issue and from what i have been told by others its best to do the following:

Upgrade hopup parts
      Add a Tightbore barrel
      Get a substancial FPS

thats prety much the cheapest option ithink and you can pickup a tight bore barrel off an auction site for £27 and it does the job well.

Apparently a tb (tightbore) can add 30 to 40 ft to your rage its what i am doing at the moment and should hopefuly have it done for this saterday if so iel let you know how much of an improvement it all is.

Comment

Is your M15 like this one?

If so I'd just add a new hop unit and rubber to it. CA hops aren't the best so a new one will work wonders.
        You can pick up a Madbull hop unit which comes with a hop rubber for around £25.

Comment

Originally posted by badas View Post
          Hi mate i am having the same issue and from what i have been told by others its best to do the following:

Upgrade hopup parts
          Add a Tightbore barrel
          Get a substancial FPS

thats prety much the cheapest option ithink and you can pickup a tight bore barrel off an auction site for £27 and it does the job well.

Apparently a tb (tightbore) can add 30 to 40 ft to your rage its what i am doing at the moment and should hopefuly have it done for this saterday if so iel let you know how much of an improvement it all is.
          Tightbores generally don't add range, just improve the accurate range. Airsoft ballistics isn't like real guns, adding speed doesn't increase range, it just means the BB get there faster. The only thing that give noticeable increases to overall range is the hop.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
            adding speed doesn't increase range
            Newton would disagree. Drag reduces range. Higher speed gives increased effective mass, which overcomes drag effects longer, hence more range.

A more accurate version of your statement is "adding speed doesn't increase range significantly".

Comment

Adding a TB with a new hopup will increase range dramitically. Iv'e never found a CA hopup to be bad. Just put in a Systema/TM hop rubber and bucking and it's good to go.

Comment

my advice given is from hunters help and experience with the same gun,

Comment

Originally posted by badas View Post
                  my advice given is from hunters help and experience with the same gun,
                  The advice you gave was flawed. You forgot to mention the hop rubber.

Comment

you also have terminal velocity. The weight of the bb's needs to be balanced with the fps. Too heavy and you won't get the range anyway and too light the resistance caused by the air around it will slow it significantly.

You can shoot something out but if the aerodynamics are not right then the flow of air over the projectile can actually slow an object down and the harder you shoot it the greater the effect. Thats why a bb imparts backspin and not sidespin like a bullet.

Obviously it's a little more complicated than that but thats basically a laymans description
                    Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone, much appreciated
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                        2 things.

The "barrel extensions" do not extend the inner barrel, so have no effect whatsoever on accuracy. In fact, as the occasional BB can clip the side of the silencer, they can actually reduce accuracy.

The length of the inner barrel has very little effect on range. In a real gun, the longer the barrel, the longer the range (as a general rule) as the propellant has longer to accelerate the round down the barrel. In an airsoft gun, the acceleration is almost instantaneous as there is no expansion of gasses, just the volume of air in the cylinder being pushed in 1 big lump into the inner barrel.
                        The shorter the barrel of an AEG, the nearer the vent port will be to the front of the cylinder on a decent gun that's not made from a Chinese part's bin. Search a shop for an MP5K cylinder and compare it to an M4 cylinder. Then compare it to an AK cylinder, which has no port at all.

If you put an AK cylinder in an MP5K, for instance, the BB would have left the barrel well before the cylinder was emptied, so it would have gone while the piston was still accelerating. A long barrel doesn't necessarily mean more range, but the combination of correct parts will have an influence on velocity, accuracy and, to a certain extent, range.

I am talking extremes here to give an example. Compare a TM MP5K to a TM AK74 and you will see differences in all of the above.

If you are looking at a longer barrel, you can hide a longer inner barrel inside any silencer.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Rainbow6 Find out more about Rainbow6
                        Working...
                        X