Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

TR4 CQB-R cosmetic changes?! Help anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR4 CQB-R cosmetic changes?! Help anyone?

Hi guys,

Newbie to this forum, so firstly Hi to everyone!

Secondly, As I mentioned in the title, I've got a G&G TR4 CQB-R which I'm looking to make a few minor changes too. After hours of trawling the internet & different sites and getting conflicting reviews I thought I'd pose the following questions in the hope that a few other people have changed some of the things I am looking to change on the gun.

1. Colour change - The standard black looks good but I'm keen add some colour to it as well, thinking of going for a foliage green or urban grey addition. Cant decided between buying aftermarket parts to achieve that look or painting. Any thoughts (obviously I don't have endless amounts of cash!)?

2. Front sight - From what I have been able to gather online & the G&G manual, the front triangular site post can be removed. Has anyone actually done this and did they encounter any problems? I've seen a few videos on youtube showing some epic fails etc ...

3. Mags - Not a big fan of the rattly 450rd standard mag you get with the gun, great capacity just not a fan of the winding action. I like the look of P-mag styled mags but can't seem to get a clear view on whether they are compatible or not. Reviews vary on the internet and the main thing thats popped up on my surfing around is they seem to mis-feed in G&G aeg's. Is this is the case and if so can anyone suggest a suitable mid-cap alternative?

I appreciate any info/help that anyone can provide and I appreciate questions like this pop up all the time. I am a newbie to the sport and just need a little direction if possible!

Cheers guys/girls!

Re: TR4 CQB-R cosmetic changes?! Help anyone?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have never had a G&G so can't comment on the front sight but for a colour change you could dust it with krylon in your colour choice (there is a thread on how to do it somewhere on here, the search function works well here). P mags will fit and are reliable and robust. Stocks seem to be coming back into a few places now but have a search around.

Comment

1. painting would be cheaper but almost invariably lowers the resell value of your gun. But it's also a great way to add a personal touch. Your call.

2. Don't know about this one, but if it's removable then it's removable.

3. G&G hicaps are actually worth quite a bit for some inexplicable reason. If you are worried about mag compatibility, get EMAGs. My Beta Project EMAGs feed perfectly in G&G AEGs.

PTS has "divorced" Magpul so PMAGs and EMAGs are both going to be out of production for a while in addition to being stupidly expensive. It's a pretty hefty cost you've got to pay for beauty.

Comment

[QUOTE=IrishOAF;1280166]Hi guys,

Secondly, As I mentioned in the title, I've got a G&G TR4 CQB-R which I'm looking to make a few minor changes too. After hours of trawling the internet & different sites and getting conflicting reviews I thought I'd pose the following questions in the hope that a few other people have changed some of the things I am looking to change on the gun.

1. Colour change - The standard black looks good but I'm keen add some colour to it as well, thinking of going for a foliage green or urban grey addition. Cant decided between buying aftermarket parts to achieve that look or painting. Any thoughts (obviously I don't have endless amounts of cash!)?

You will be hard pressed to find, if at all, a upper and lower receiver in those colours. Magpul did do an Urban grey colour, however since they have now withdrawn from the airsoft market, you will find getting their stuff very hard. You say your limited on budget, so I am guessing your not looking to buy the real steel spec stuff and either import or pay the full whack on the price. Lots of companies do foliage green stuff, so you can replace the stock, pistol grip, trigger guard, rail covers and fore grip in a green colour without issue. Painting looks, in 95% of paint jobs I've seen, poor. The occasional one looks superb, but generally I think they don't work.

2. Front sight - From what I have been able to gather online & the G&G manual, the front triangular site post can be removed. Has anyone actually done this and did they encounter any problems? I've seen a few videos on youtube showing some epic fails etc ...

Seeing as the TR4 is one of the pro line G&G guns, I see no reason why It cannot be removed. On most M4s with a triangle site, there are 2 pins that need to be removed on the underside, as well as a small grub screw sometimes. Should be fairly easy to see in person

3. Mags - Not a big fan of the rattly 450rd standard mag you get with the gun, great capacity just not a fan of the winding action. I like the look of P-mag styled mags but can't seem to get a clear view on whether they are compatible or not. Reviews vary on the internet and the main thing thats popped up on my surfing around is they seem to mis-feed in G&G aeg's. Is this is the case and if so can anyone suggest a suitable mid-cap alternative?

In my experience, (I had the TR4 CQB-S), G&Gs seem pretty good at accepting the majority of mags. Again, Magpul P or E mags would work a treat, but these are almost impossible to buy new now. You can still get the clones, IE, Beta Project or Green Label ones. Some people rave over them, I bought some, found them to be absolutely shocking and promptly sold them all. MAG madcaps get a good rep from a lot of people. More than anything, you might have to buy some and see if they work.

I appreciate any info/help that anyone can provide and I appreciate questions like this pop up all the time. I am a newbie to the sport and just need a little direction if possible!

Cheers guys/girls![
        /QUOTE]
        sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Guys, Many thanks for the input!

If I could be as bold to ask one more thing, which I left out of my original post! Its in relation to the pistol grip & changing it. If I purchase an aftermarket pistol grip will it be a universal fit for the motor which is housed in the standard grip? That might seem like a bit of a daft question but while I've been looking around some make reference to that point and other don't.

Many thanks again!

Comment

+1 for MAG mid caps. Work well in my GR15 but you do have to remember to put the odd squirt of silicone spray down them otherwise you get double feeding issues (well, I do, might not be the same for everyone)

If you never intend on selling your guns I'd looking into some of the painting methods. Have a look at this thread for inspiration:
            http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...4-amp-Variants

This M4 by RiflemanLizard is particularly unique but of course its your choice!
            Upcoming Games:
            None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
            Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Well, for starters make sure you buy an AEG grip! And even then, not one for a PTW or anything. Once you have the grip, 99% of them will be a universal fit. If you buy a chepo clone form Ebay, there is a chance it will be such a bad clone that the motor won't even fit inside it...rare, but does happen.

As for actually changing it, just remove the base plate screws, remove the motor wires from the motor, slide the motor out, then remove the screws that hold the grip into the gearbox casing. Then repeat the steps in reverse order to install the new one.
              sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Try a Magpul MOE grip - imo much nicer than standard M4 grips.
                They're reasonably cheap and you shouldn't have any probs with fitting/compatabilty
                h e y d r i c h
                L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

The grip will most likely fit as in it'll let your motor function, though it may not perfectly mate with the receiver of the AEG and let a little bit of your gearbox shine through (had this problem several times with clone Chinese grips). In which case you'll need a file & patience, or a dremel, to get the grip to mate 100%.

Comment

Cheers again for all the pointers! Much appreciated!

Comment

[QUOTE=Caldymoose;1280187]
                      Originally posted by IrishOAF View Post
                      Hi guys,

You will be hard pressed to find, if at all, a upper and lower receiver in those colours. Magpul did do an Urban grey colour, however since they have now withdrawn from the airsoft market, you will find getting their stuff very hard. You say your limited on budget, so I am guessing your not looking to buy the real steel spec stuff and either import or pay the full whack on the price. Lots of companies do foliage green stuff, so you can replace the stock, pistol grip, trigger guard, rail covers and fore grip in a green colour without issue. Painting looks, in 95% of paint jobs I've seen, poor. The occasional one looks superb, but generally I think they don't work.

Seeing as the TR4 is one of the pro line G&G guns, I see no reason why It cannot be removed. On most M4s with a triangle site, there are 2 pins that need to be removed on the underside, as well as a small grub screw sometimes. Should be fairly easy to see in person

In my experience, (I had the TR4 CQB-S), G&Gs seem pretty good at accepting the majority of mags. Again, Magpul P or E mags would work a treat, but these are almost impossible to buy new now. You can still get the clones, IE, Beta Project or Green Label ones. Some people rave over them, I bought some, found them to be absolutely shocking and promptly sold them all. MAG madcaps get a good rep from a lot of people. More than anything, you might have to buy some and see if they work.

Cheers guys/girls![
                      /QUOTE]
                      +1 To everything said here.

I wouldn't paint if you're worried about money as it will probably devalue the gun - just buy some aftermarket bits in the colours you'd like - you can sell the original bits on and re-coup some of your costs!

I had a GR15, and the sight wasn't removable but the gun you have is a high end one so you can probably just knock the grub screws out and it'll slide off!

You'll be hard pushed to find an AEG mag that doesn't feed in the G&G m4 magwell!

Comment

Beta project PMags fit and feed perfectly in my TR4 CQB-R. Just don't over feed them, that's a mag problem not a gun one.

Comment

If you want an alternative to winding hicaps you could try flash mags 360 rounds and pull cords to wind. One wind will feed the whole mag. I got lonex flash mags for a little over 20 quid on a popular auction site.
                          If you're going to remove the front sight be careful not to scratch the finish on your outer barrel and you will need something to replace it to hold the foregrip/rail in place.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDodds View Post
                            If you're going to remove the front sight be careful not to scratch the finish on your outer barrel and you will need something to replace it to hold the foregrip/rail in place.
                            Yeah that's a key one I've seen people forget in the past. If the gas block/front sight on your G&G does come off (unlike the combat machine line) you'll just need a small punch, hammer and a set of metric allen keys for the grub screw underneath. If you've not got the proper tools got on the bay and spend a few quid (you'll definitely be able to get some drifts and allen keys for less than a tenner), they really pay for themselves as you work on different guns over time. Especially since 90%+ of the M4 style guns on the market have that exact same foresight setup.

I'd go for either a low profile gas block if you're not fussed about having back-up irons and might want to change the handguard in future and want the maximum flexibility, or just go with whichever gas block you like the look of that's got an integrated folding front sight. That'll clear your view for using red dots.

Wouldn't advocate painting furniture unless you really want to go low-vis grey because there's barely any of that around in the UK (if any), if you like FG that'll be much easier to get a hold of. Problem is your stock, pistol grip and foregrip are some of the highest wear areas and spray paints have very little resilience to wear and abrasion, they'll look pretty ratty after just a couple of outings. A whole gun sprayed up then worn through use looks nice, but IMHO the same thing on just the furniture ends up being pretty ugly.
                            REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

I use G&G GMAGS with my Gen3 CQB-R. They feed flawlessly and are good looking too, midcaps so hold 120 bbs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

IrishOAF Find out more about IrishOAF
                              Working...
                              X