Cheaper Gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaper Gear?

Just a question about how much you regular players decided to pay for your starter gear?
    I've decided on a G36c as my Starter AEG, then i decided to go for a TM version as I have read and heard they are very reliable. Now without starting another Cheap-soft Vs. Airsoft discussion, I was told by a mate who has been airsofting a bit more then me that I'd be better off going with a cheaper make such as a JG. Id prefer to get a TM however, so I've been pricing up my TMG36c on Zero One and with a sufficient amount of mags and battery etc it comes to £430. I don't begrudge paying this as then I'll know its of good quality and should last, but as I am a newbie I don't know if I'd be better off with cheaper gear until I'm at least registered... as then I wont have to modify the G after the two-tone period is up. A similar problem arises with the gear I'm eye-ing up. I'm liking some of the warrior gear but again that mate has said I'd be better off just getting an NBC suit from a certain auction website.
    So to get back to the question...
    Would it be worth paying out for better quality gear, Or as I've read in a thread off of her before, Should I buy cheap and buy twice?
    Many thanks

Re: Cheaper Gear?

hi LiaMDooD,
    personally i would wait to get membershipped then get a tm there are a really good started gun make and are relaible,
    second of all two tone are the same fps and insides but just dont look all that good,you dont want to spend £430 on something that will make you stand out and look tackey.
    hope this helps.
    What's the situation?Two blokes and a hell-load of cutlery!

Comment

If you are getting a two tone.... STOP!

Once you have your registration you'll never use it again. So, my suggestion is pick up a cheap two tone. Either new, or second hand. You only need it to last 3 games...then sell it on! The FN9000 (although not to everyones taste) are about £60! In 3 months time, it will still be worth what you paid, so a free gun really!

Once you have done that, you can set about choosing an AEG to last you for a while. JG/TM are considered about the same now. Star/Classic Army/ICS are supposed to be the higher brands. But my advice is.... don't buy new.

When you have your UKARA, just drop into the "For Sale" section. For half your estimate you'll pick up a good gun, most probably with upgrades, and all the mags you'll need. In my opinion buying a new gun is like buying a new car, you'll take a big dip in value just for being the "first owner".

Comment

Agree with jagillham, but....Two tone JG G36C, cheap :D. Plus instead of selling any gear you get with it (mags vest ect.) you can use them with ur TM G36C when you get that.
        Armoury:
        JG MP5 SD6, TM G36C.

Sandhurst in May .

Comment

Or use hire guns for the first 3 games, saves you alot of money - and you get to try out a few guns first.

Comment

Thanks guys you've really helped. Your right, it is only 3 games when you think about it :p Hmm I shall have a look at some second hand 2-tone guns then. Thanks again!

Comment

just a word of advice with regards to your gear. tm guns are the dogs knackers but mags and batteries dotn have to be tm to be good. i use dboys hi caps in my g36 and they are great, and whats more they only cost me a few quid per mag. Batteries there is a shop that sells high quality batteries for around the £12 mark. As for plate carriers and the like why not try surplus shops and auction sites, there is usally alot of second hand gear that is still in really good condition but just without the huge pricetag. ;p

Comment

I agree with Jig, use the three games with rentals, you can also use this time to work out what guns you like! (I should have paid attention to my wrist after using an M14!)
                Now personally, i think the JG G36C is a fantastic gun, without a doubt one of the best cheap guns out there. I have litterally seen a guy run into a tree with one and it got up and kept going, it really shouldnt let you down, there is very little between the TM & JG, externally and internally.

Vlad is right about mags especailly, i have a mix of JG, Dboys, CA, TM, MAG, and alot of other kinds of mags and never had any problems with any except the STAR & the KA ones, and you can pick up batteries pretty cheap from certain shops

Your webbing and clothing, especailly your eye protection, thats where you dont skimp, as you really do get what you pay for there, the cheap stuff jsut doesnt match up
                G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
                RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

If you do get a JG two tone then buy the same gun as again from TM you will be disappointed.
                  Everyone and their cat has given you gun advice so heres some gear advice.

Dont get an NBC suit. They're cheap and nasty things.
                  You can usually pick up some Grade 1 DMP for about £10-15 for a shirt and trousers from most surplus shops.
                  For kit, when your first starting you dont need much, for the first few games you'll be able to get away with just carrying a spare mag and a bag of bbs in your pocket.
                  When you do start getting kit surplus PLCE is a cheap and easily available on auction websites and if you want more fancy kit replica kit from Pantac and Bulle are very good quality.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention I've got some good condition woodland DPM's I'm looking to sell. Roughly M/L shirt, and 32-34 trousers. PM me if any good.

Comment

For gear mate you can get grade 1 stuff like evansy said or try soldier stuff theers a link at the top (MMUK).
                      I started off with a £10vest moved on to webbing and now have gone for a Warrior RICAS for £80 comes with 5 mag pouches 2 utility pouches double pistol pouch and radio pouch. It works out alot cheaper than buying every thing seperate.
                      Alpha Elite Gaming, Jersey C.I

Comment

me, intervention and another mate first started by hiring from the site we went to this was good because
                        1. no spending money on two tone guns
                        2. at £10 a day gun hire thats what £30 and then you can get your licence
                        3. your not going to stand out like a bad hair cut
                        and 4 your get to test out different type of guns and see which ones to like.

Comment

Thanks for the Info guys It is all really helping!

Jagillham, thanks for the offer mate but I've already got a few pairs of trousers knocking about (Woodland & Desert S95 DPM. Truspec Tactical Tiger. Black S95) As I use them for work, very comfy! So i may just get an Issue shirt or two like suggested.

Interventon, Aeviv & Twitchy, I would like to hire guns, for the reasons you've said, When I went to GZU I hired one and got on with it really well. But the local site We're thinking of using does not rent guns and as much as I'd love to go GZ for my local, its a 274 mile round trip :p

Wipeout, Im liking the Warrior TMV Vest but I can only find it in black atm when the pouches all come in OD or Tan but as Evansy has said I will probably be able to get away with just using deep pockets for the first few gamedays.

Thanks again for all your help, it is really appreciated! :D

Comment

Honestly, theres no point picking the TM over the JG unless not having trades bothers you. They are both made out of the same materials, both have the creaking front end, the plastic top Ris rail, no extra side rails, and the plastic goes shinny after lots of use.

The JG G36c does however have better gears for use with woodland level springs, comes with a tightbore barrel and costs roughly half for what a TM costs these days in the post cristmas Hyper-inflation of airsoft equipment. Having used both TM and JG there is no obvious difference apart from the trades. I even think the fire select works better on the JG but that could just have been on the guns i've tried.

If you want a high end gun, get the CA G36c if you can afford the little extra. Proper polymer body similar to the real steel, pre-upgraded gear box, metal front end so no creak, metal top Ris rail and side rails included, and trades (even though there not the real ones there pretty damned close.) I'm hoping to change to a CA G36 variant when my economic fortunes improve

My two pence.
                            "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Ok here we go!

I have posted this same advice elsewhere so if it sounds like a repeat, well it is!

For your first few games it makes absolutely no difference what gun you use. You are new to this sport and therefore have nothing to compare it to. All you need is a gun that will work for a few months, then you are going to sell it on here and buy something decent.

The best advice is this.

Don't spend much more or any less than £100 on your first gun.
                              (a few pounds here or there makes no odds but don't buy one for £29.99)

Dont buy used as your first gun unless it comes recommended buy someone you trust.
                              ("needs minor work" could mean anything)

Dont buy 2-tone unless you really really must.

Only buy "high end" when you know what you are doing. If you are not into upgrades and tinkering then get the best you can lay your hands on. A simple guide would be if theres a Chinese gun you like get the Japanese version that costs at least twice as much and then leave it alone. If you want to get into tuning then always start with TM, then you know that anything you buy for it will fit.

Buying guns is a complicated and confusing affair. Here's a quick example for you.

JLS introduced the FN Scar L this was a villainousness thing and was only surpassed in its greatness by its crapiness. There are now 3 very good models from Classic army Star and the Mighty VFC. They all cost a fortune but will all run forever (probably) However the one to buy is the CA clone from Dboy's, it cost's about £100 it's surprisingly well made parts are cheap and upgrades are easy and effective.

So hire a couple of guns, spend about a ton on your first gun just to break your duck then spend months on forums trying to decide what gun to get just like the rest of us...

Good luck and welcome to the sport!

"These opinions are mine and you are welcome to them"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

LiaMDooD Find out more about LiaMDooD
                              Working...
                              X