Right gun for the job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right gun for the job?

I'm contemplating doing a little M4 project, ie. heavily upgrading something...

I'm looking at using the G&P MOE CQB as a base for it, and really just wanted to get a bit of advise as to whether this would be a good/bad idea and generally how well they're thought of.

I like this as it's:

- Short - I play CQB as well as outdoor
    - Probably quite light due to the polymer furniture
    - Nice quality metal body
    - Tm compatible making upgrades easier
    - I already have mags etc to work in it
    - Large space for battery in front handguard - I have too many crane stock'd M4's so this would make a nice change.

I'm not that fussed about it being magpul, I like their stuff, but I'm no fanboy, but the weight would appeal to me, as does the high quality externals (the metal body).

I like the VFC externals, and would make a nice base, but I already have a 416, and fancy a nice M4 externally.

Really, my question is; Do you think this would make a good base and am I perhaps overlooking another gun that I could use, which meets what I'm after.

Cheers

Re: Right gun for the job?

Sounds fine, but really doesn't sound any different to any other M4. PDWs are a good bet thanks to a folding stock and ambi controls.

I personally prefer an MP5 as I shoulder and fire it a lot more comfortably under stress or awkwardness than an M4.

The only real thing to take into account is (if you can) keeping everything ambidextrous like the torch, mag changes, selector and grip locations etc. being able to shoot lefty indoors is a big bonus, and it's even better if you can still use your torch to do so

Comment

No sure, I appreciate the ambidextrous advice, but I do have other stuff that I use for CQB, I'd just like to perhaps get a hold of something with nice externals (maybe G&P or VFC) and upgrade it as a bit of a project.

I just fancy a short barrelled M4 as my current one is not suitable for indoor stuff

Comment

Here is my latest project, CQB M4, Might give you some ideas, even if its because you hate it

Optimized-m4 stubby.jpg
        Wont bore you with all the internals, but the headliner is I short stroked it by removing 3 teeth off the sector gear on a 13:1 gearset and then made up for it by putting in an m110. So its a really snappy cycle, both in trigger response and sound, and shooting a nice CQB friendly 310.
        Also you'll see the 9v battery bit, that is for a home made tracer unit in the hop up. Love this in dark tunnels and cost me £3.80! In the end I'll put that battery in the PEQ box, but I need to source a smaller lipo to give me room, the current one fills that PEQ, so for now the 9v is taped to the outside (I'd run it off the lipo, but I'm so forgetful about switching things off I'd just leave it on and run the lipo dry).

Picked up that stubby ris rail for £30 posted which I was well pleased with for such a solid but of kit.

This month I plan to lose those iron sights and replace them with flip up ris sights (just for cosmetics) and swap out the stock with an LR300 folding and sliding stock. Will probably pick up a better torch soon too, but not decided what one.

Skirmished at The Mall the other day, that front grip is really nice, and how short it was was very handy in the tight spaces.

Comment

Haha, cheers! Like it!! So by removing the teeth, I take it that you're just making the cycle quicker?

What else have you put inside it? I'll probably do some barrel and hop upgrades too, so I can use it outside too.

Like your tracer! Very clever, I've got one, but it's a silencer... Still a lot of fun though

Comment

Yeah, such a short barrel, it doesn't need all that volume of air, so I figured do without it, speed things up, but you do lose FPS, so its a bit of a game to find the right balance with a bigger spring. Nice trigger response, always good.

Got a Rhino torque motor, but honestly don't rate it over the TM EG3000 I usually use, and especially not for the money it cost, and the gears are SHS and then dremelled teeth done by me.

Hop wise its actually all Madbull unit and bucking on a 6.04 G&G inner barrel. I've hated that Madbull unit in my bigger aegs and had written them off as hype, but its actually doing a really nice job in there so going to stick with it, maybe it suits lower FPS?

Things still a bit of a mutt, but I'm gradually tidying it up. I do like a project.

Comment

For externals if you want something a bit old skool and different how about a G&P CAR15 compact, lightweight and stands out a lot from the sea of uber-tacticool-hispeed lowdrag m4's. Just please for the love of all thay is holy dont magpul it.

If not the KAC pdw is a very good little base gun for cqb use.
              Last edited by Hunter512; 18 February, 2014, 22:22.
              Originally posted by tackle
              For the haters who feel that bamf, & others, are picking on you, GROW THE FUCK UP, their actually trying to stop you destroying our sport or having even more draconian measures foisted upon us.

Comment

Like your style Figjam! Yeah, I've had a madbull hop in a G&P and have to say it was the one part that let the gun down slightly, was shooting at about 340fps I think, so perhaps it does like it a bit lower!

And thanks for the recommendations Hunter! Haha, like I say, not a massive magpul fan, it suits some guns, but others... just no.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Wilkes 1875 Find out more about Wilkes 1875
                Working...
                X