KWA LM4 vs WE OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWA LM4 vs WE OB

I am looking to get a GBBR this year and was going to get the WE open bolt M4 due to parts availability, price of mags etc as I want a GBBR with a 12.5" barrel.
    After visiting one of the stands at the Airsoft show, I handled the PTS Mega Arms GBBR which I have read is made by KWA. I compared that to a WE Scar (not that I want a Scar but that's all the stand had), which felt plasticky and not as solid as the PTS.
    I know the KWA is more expensive and the mags are over twice the price but is it worth saving a bit more up or will the WE be a better bet. Or another option is to wait to see what the GHK M4 will be like. It's looking promising so far!
    Bear in mind that the GBBR won't be used as often as my TM recoil gets used!
    Look forward to your replies, thank you.

Re: KWA LM4 vs WE OB

GBBR's are finicky buggers at the best of times, and i've done a lot of work on pretty much all the major GBBR M4 platforms, so, my thoughts on the two platforms:

WE M4

+ Cheap, excellent availability of spare parts
    + Cheap magazines, Version 2 mags - if looked after - are almost leak proof. AVOID Version 1 magazines at all cost!
    + Large number of real steel parts can be fitted with no mods (LEGAL parts, I hasten to add), such as stock tubes, forward assist, ejection port cover etc etc
    - Can feel a bit nasty in the hand. WE plastics are TERRIBLE - like some cheapo nasty bargain basement ACM manufacturer supplied them
    - Stock charging handles are weak. If you're using the original M16/M4 manual of arms way of charging, you'll be ok. If you're using a more modern technique, its going to fail (that said, i've modded many real-steel charging handles to fit the WE platform)

KWA LM4

+ Well built
    + Efficient gas usage
    - Not as many optional parts available (internally and externally) compared to the WE, but more are coming onto the market, slowly.
    - Hop up will need work at some stage
    - You WILL end up with the double-feeding problem
    - Not 1:1 scale upper receiver, so may have issues with some rails (like the ARMS Swan Sleeve). Blame the Yanks, particularly BATF, for this.

Personally, i'd wait for the GHK M4 to come out - 'cos I think thats going to shake the market up somewhat.

Comment

The GHK is looking rather good and the G5 does get some good reviews. Would like to know a price for it though to compare but wouldn't we all? Lol

Comment

Not sure you'll get an unbiased/representative set of replies on here somehow.

End of the day the Mega Arms is more expensive because it's made to a much higher standard. Steel internals out the box, a set of very unique and neatly machined receivers featuring a proprietary upper that locks the handguard on absolutely rigidly with KeyMod that's manufactured to the RS spec rather than the corner cutting that most airsoft KeyMod displays. However WE wouldn't be as popular as they are if they pumped out terrible guns, their QC isn't as stringent and it's priced lower because it's built to a lower standard but end of the day that's because there are different markets with different budgets and wants/needs within airsoft. If you want more customisation options, don't plan to use it as and would rather spend less money then WE would be the better option. Nothing stopping you waiting to see what the GHK comes out like either way.

Also LM4 system mags shouldn't be more than twice the price, WE STANAGs around £30-35 from what I've seen? LM4 mags certainly shouldn't be priced over £60, I paid about £45/ea for all of mine.
        REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I have seen the KWA mags for £69.99 in the UK which is a bit pricey!!
          So CK, are you saying the PTS is built better than your LM4 or are they the same?

Comment

£70 is a mega rip.

I'd say the receivers/handguard of the MKM are a fair bit nicer than the original LM4 yeah, which is reflected in the price. If you wanted to go with the KWA system and the Mega Arms styling is to your taste then I'd say yeah go for it, otherwise do what I did and buy a normal LM4 then make whatever customisations you fancy (as is usually expected with ARs).
            REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

£70?? Thats a rip off, I paid half that for mine. Not sure where you have seen them then! But I doubt they are shifting that many for that price. I know the mags are super hard to come by though right now
              sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Agreed on WE OB V2 mags, they really are excellent.
                - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Curly68 Find out more about Curly68
                Working...
                X