Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fairy power spray alternatives

Originally posted by PLAYGOD View Post
    As title says, can't find it anywhere except the bay and before I buy I of course am wondering does anything else out there work the same at taking off top layers of paint without compromising the plastic?
    You might want to consider Ocado (presumably not a competitor to Zero One?), definitely on their website when I looked the other day...

As I'm bored, I thought it might be fun to ponder all this stuff - it's sort of related to work... Kind of...

I suspect that Power spray works well due to the presence of Ethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, (both comparatively alkaline) and phenoxyethanol... The ultimate paint stripper along the same vane would be sodium hydroxide found on its own as 'Lye', in Mr. Muscle Oven cleaner (Great for the lungs) and in water based paint strippers (have a mooch in B&Q). None of these should be overly problematic for plastic. Not my first choice having had a close encounter with something similar whilst not wearing eye pro.

As for Ecover, that doesn't contain bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) in the standard sense, it uses anionic surfactants (just like most 'soapy' products in this class) along with a fair whack of Citric acid (presumably to dissolve limescale?) and limonene. Not sure what is having the biggest effect here, but I'm beginning to wonder if limonene's your guy. If that is the case, then the best option would be 'Citrus based Ski wax remover'. Dissolves ski wax (and therefore probably paint) without harming the underlying plastic (UHDPE) ski bases - One to seriously consider and not expensive for a quick experiment.

R

Comment

Dettol works well too.

Comment

Fire works...lots and lots of pretty fire. The fire cleanses and Quiets the voices
        -'Sly villain! Thou does not acknowledge thine hits!'
        -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

PLAYGOD Find out more about PLAYGOD
        Working...
        X