Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun case foam help

Evening all,

I've just bought myself a case and am now looking at getting some foam so I can cut out spaces for my M4 and goodies. The case is about 10cm deep, I was thinking about ordering 2 identical pieces that are both 5cm deep, using one for the bottom and leave uncut and then cut the other with the outline of my gun etc so this can then go on top.

Is this the right way to go about it or is there a better way? Conscious that it's going to cost about £20 for the foam so want to make sure I do it right the first time if I can

cheers
    sigpic

Re: Gun case foam help

I use memory foam ! My gun cases are so damn comfortable now . Comes in hAndy when the missus demotes me to the garage to sleep with my guns

Comment

I think 5 + 5 cm would probably not be correct I would use something like 3 + 7 cm to ensure that nothing is sticking out of the top layer. As you say draw outline on reverse side and cut slightly smaller using a sharp long Knife (not a craft knife) this will ensure a snug fit and you can always slightly adjust as required.
      I have a double layered case that holds 2 fully kitted M4s on top of each other but it came with 1 solid block of Foam about 20cm thick which was a bugger to cut in to 4 layers LOL (possible but very tricky).

Comment

Cheers johnno, any reason why not to use a craft knife? Seemed like the best thing to use, or is it due to the length of the he blade not being enough?
        sigpic

Comment

The best thing to use is a heated wire cutter. Gives the smoothest results. But if you don't already own one then then next best thing is an electric caring knife or a kitchen bread knife. preferably one that is partially serrated but not the ones with the really pointy teeth that would snag and rip the foam.

Comment

Also, yes the craft knife is sharp enough but they are not long enough and if you use the extendable ones they are too flexible to cut neat edges

Comment

I used a Kitchen Devil 10" Knife (non serrated Blade") excellent tool and only about £5.00 from Th'Asda (legal disclaimer: other Stores may sell this product or similar). You could also use a Hacksaw Blade with fine Teeth and at least 32 teeth per inch so it doesn't snag.

Comment

So the case has arrived and it has 2 layers of foam, the bottom is smooth and about 2cm thick and glued down, the top layer is the ridged type, looking at it I'm thinking I can save £20 by turning the top layer of foam over so it's smooth side up and cutting this out to the relevant shapes and placing my kit in the relevant places.

has anyone every done this and does it work ok?
                sigpic

Comment

I have done it with egg box shaped foam in pistol cases, works fine.

As you were planning on buying new anyway its worth trying first,
                  G&G GBB M4, MP5K, TM Glock 18c

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Rainbow6 Find out more about Rainbow6
                  Working...
                  X