Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting an ABS M4 body to metal a metal one

How hard is this to do?

If I were to buy an ABS bodied M4 (something along the lines of a standard JG) and then wished to add a metal body at a later date how serious a bit of work is that for a mechanical newbie?
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: Converting an ABS M4 body to metal a metal one

Not very, rather easily to do. Remove the old barrel by using a 'C' wrench to remove the teeth, screws off completely. Remove two screws on the top, and one on the bottom. Whole barrel assembly comes out.

If you know how to open up the armalite, remove the pistol grip, but stock, then mechbox and Transfer the pieces.

Simples. :D

Comment

Pip squeak! all you'll need to do is possibly get a new hop unit as the metal ones I know of take one piece design and the plastic ones take a two piece design. Other than that all youll need is a screwdriver set to take the pistol grip off (and take the motor out), take the stock tube/stock off, remove the body pins then pull the gearbox out then simply re do the above in reverse to put it back in.

To take the front end off you just need to unscrew the delta ring, and whist being careful of the wiring (depending if it is front or rear wired) gently pull it off. The as before re do this to put it back together with the metal body..

Doesn't take long and isn't too hard to figure out, youtube is the way forward if you get stuck .

Actually take the front end off first.. makes the whole thing a lot easier if its front wired, if rear wired then it doesnt really matter.

This should give you a clue!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4avuzdCllGM

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents.

I thought that might be the case.

To be honest I'm on the lookout for either a standard metal M4 or S-System but I just thought I'd ask in case the right ABS came up at the right price.
        102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Just be aware that not all makes are interchangeable. Normally the problem is with the way the outer barrel fits to the upper receiver. A d-boys body is hard work to fit to a JG barrel for example. When you find something, post on the forum and ask if anyone has managed it before you spend the money, most possible variations have been tried by the members here at some time or other.

Also, s-system fronts don't fit on standard upper receivers. But you can buy a whole s-system front end including the upper, or if you look around, there are s-system specific bodies out there.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey,

Doing the same thing as Longshot, will this http://www.*********.com/metal-body-ussf-p-2243.html fit my JG M4 CQB? I heard you might need to get new hop for it :S

Comment

Originally posted by Brute062 View Post
              Hey,

Doing the same thing as Longshot, will this ************ fit my JG M4 CQB? I heard you might need to get new hop for it :S
              Read the forums rules dude, your not allowed to post links to other retailers!

As I said in my post before you will need to get yourself a one piece hop unit as they plastic bodies use two piece hops which arent compatible with metal bodies. But essentially with the new hop it will fit yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                Read the forums rules dude, your not allowed to post links to other retailers!

As I said in my post before you will need to get yourself a one piece hop unit as they plastic bodies use two piece hops which arent compatible with metal bodies. But essentially with the new hop it will fit yes.
                Sorry forgot about that.
                About the hop, thanks its clear now

Cheers

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                Working...
                X