Barrels Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrels Questions

I have a few sniper barrels kicking around, and i havent used them because ive literally bought PDI Barrels for my 2 snipers, But heres my question when i roll them on a flat surface they seem to have a bit of a curve to the barrel, ive been told this is just the outer barrel that has the curve and that the inner diameter was bored out straight. Is this true or are they just bent?

Thanks
    Adam

Re: Barrels Questions

try shooting rounds through them and see?
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

try dropping a 6mm dowel through the barrel, if drops out the other end its fine, if it gets stuck, then someones been bullshiting you.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Point the barrel at a lit light area (white ceiling) and look down it, you should see concentric rings of reflection or shadow, if it's curved some of the rings will be off centre.
        Not definitive but an easy indication of straightness.

Inner barrel test.jpg

Comment

Going on real steel equivalent.
          The two absolute critical things about the barrel is that it is not constricted and that the bore is dead square to the exiting face.
          Obviously, a constricted bore will be catastrophic, whereas an unsquare face or badly c'sunk bore will cause a shot to swerve as the tail of the bullet has not left the bore evenly.
          This is also why that when threading for a moderator the smith must align off the bore and not the outer diametre. Again, catastrophic if the bullet hits the mod on the way out.

So, in summary, a banana shaped barrel will not create a banana shot, as a corkscrew shaped barrel will not create a corkscrew shot. We'll leave that to the cartoons!
          Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Viper Scout; 12 April, 2014, 15:35.
          sigpic
          "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

Originally posted by adam859 View Post
            ive been told this is just the outer barrel that has the curve and that the inner diameter was bored out straight. Is this true or are they just bent?
            you cant bore a straight hole through a bent bar i spoke to the toolmakers at work yesterday and they thought i was stupid for asking if you could,

imo if there sniper barrels then you want them perfectly straight, you could use a surface plate (granite prefebaly) and a small fly press to try and straighten it, but this is incredibaly hard and you have to have the knack for it (i don't)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

adam859 Find out more about adam859
            Working...
            X