What rifle for my wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What rifle for my wife?

a lot of people seem to be suggesting guns with shorter barrels/ same size barrels as the m4, which i don't think is the point? the Aug is great and most forces that used it have the civi one with a green body because the sight i the military one isn't very good and they wanted to change sight to suit the scenario i.e. red dot for cqb/fibua, x4 for long range jobs. jg are a good choice and cheap.

l85's are great and star are the best, but a little on the heavy side.

if she likes using the m4 set up and you want something like it with a longer barrel metal body and reliable then get a ca m16a3, you can change the barrel length and put just about anything on it, its a standard 300-320 fps and fits a large battery brilliant all rounder!

hope it helps

Comment

I have the CYMA AKS74U and its deadly-wouldn't really recommend it range wise though... I would advise you to opt for a FAMAS-reliable, tough and good long barrel-perfect with a 1J upgrade.
      Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 6 April, 2009, 07:00. Reason: removing retailer
      Trader feedback: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8590

Comment

Gud call on the FAMAS liquid snake. The TM is quite cheap, and very reliable. It feels really nice to hold to, fits comfotably into the shoulder, and its got a great ROF .
        Armoury:
        JG MP5 SD6, TM G36C.

Sandhurst in May .

Comment

not only is it good in many ways it also looks stunning :D

Comment

It does actually, theres something quite appealing about it. Mags are easy to carry too. Prefer the SV to the F1 though.
            Armoury:
            JG MP5 SD6, TM G36C.

Sandhurst in May .

Comment

The only problem that I can see with the FAMAS is that I really don't like the look of it.

I've nothing against the RS, from what I've been told it's a really good weapon, and I've nothing but respect for the FFL who use it. I just don't like them.

As for the L85, I don't want to have to do anything to it, to begin with at least, and the piston really needs sorting on these from the word go.

I found this list of barrel lengths on another forum:

650mm - PSG1 +
              590mm - PSG1 (Std)
              550mm - M16A1, A2, VN, AUG +
              534mm - SIG550
              509mm - M16A1, A2, VN, AUG (Std)
              469mm - G3, SG1
              455mm - AK47, AK47S
              407mm - M4A1, SR16, SIG551 +
              363mm - M4A1, SR16, SIG551 (Std)
              300mm - M733, MC51 +
              285mm - MC51 (Std)
              247mm - G36C, P90, CAR15
              229mm - MP5A4, A5, SD5, SD6
              208mm - G3SAS
              141mm - MP5PDW
              110mm - MP5K

*info courtesy of Prometheus

My logic is: Good barrel length, all things being equal, should equal good(ish) range. In a few months time (when I can be arsed to do it), I can swap the hop for a TM one and fit a TB.

The full length G36 falls between the G3 and the AUG, plus having a bipod and being used in the real world as a support weapon, Dragon Valley should accept it with a drum or c-mag. I know that version is a bit heavy, but I think she would enjoy the range and rate of fire, plus the option of sitting (well, lying) back and putting down a heavy amount of fire if she gets tired.

Any thoughts?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skinandbones View Post
                Gud call on the FAMAS liquid snake. The TM is quite cheap, and very reliable. It feels really nice to hold to, fits comfotably into the shoulder, and its got a great ROF .
                what do you mean good call......i said a FA-MAS ages ago...lol
                VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

sounds like your wife and mine are similar, mine is tiny and cant handle heavier aegs though, she recetly bought a thunder maul and the range kicks most stuff in the ass. i tried to get her using my m4, m15, sa80, mp5, g36, sl9 and AUGs most of which were to heavy.

best option is ask her what she wants or likes the look of or your in for a world of hurt when she complains even more that the new gun is crap and worse than the last and its all your fault!!! (belvie me i have been there, let her choose but give reasons for and against and she wont say a bad word against it no woman likes the told you so conversation lol)

I recomend an AUG over an sa80 as its more reliable than most of the cheaper sa80's and far lighter with better weight balance. and for very little money you can stick a stupidly big barrel on one.

stock 509barrel, i think they are better than most guns on market despite what people say (its looks there talking about not performance). JG civ model is by far the most useful and can be bought for around 95 delivered if you shop round (i can point you in right direction) you can swap barrel lengths easy enough on these and there compact naturaly but you can swap for a cqb front end and make it tiny or stick a sniper outer on and give it room for a 630 inner barrel (i did).

they can be a little heavy for slightly built people though so best thing is for her to get hold of one if possible but if you think she can handle an sa80 she will swing one of these about with ease.

DONT get the A3 its lovely but even i think its front heavy and i am 16 stone and 6'3. (also they dont all come with mosfet as previosuly mentioned depends on batch) may as well buy a standard one for the benefits you get with the a3 do not equate to the extra money. though you cna alwasy take the front riz off and sell it for parts to make money back.

Comment

I took her into a certain shop in Portsmouth over the Easter weekend, but their range was lousy. I would have gone into Z1, but their opening hours aren't exactly customer friendly for someone who's only able to visit at the weekend!

M14s were too long in the stock, as was the G3 and HK33. She tried an SLR and the stock was the right length, but the whole think was too heavy (no surprise there). They didn't have an AUG or SA80 for her to try, nor a FAMAS [pukes in corner of room at the thought of buying one!].

She got on best with a full stock MP5 and the G36. The MP5 seemed the best for her. If I got her one of the SD versions, how big a barrel would it take if I run it to the end of the silencer? Also, JG do a full metal MP5 navy, but I can't see an SD5 in full metal. Do they do one?
                    sigpic

Comment

The only metal MP5 they do is the navy. Got a review of the mp5 sd6 in the review section, it is AWSOME. The barrel only runs a little way down the scilencer so you could put a longer barrel in. The stock barrel is 229cms, i did some measuring and i think u could get another 90-100mm in there, will do some more measuring when i get the chance.
                      Armoury:
                      JG MP5 SD6, TM G36C.

Sandhurst in May .

Comment

Thanks mate.

I've just seen the ICS SD2 on Z1. What are they like?
                        sigpic

Comment

what about an ebr?

Comment

i'd say TM FAMAS is the way to go, theyre indestructable, upgrade fps maybe,

and the dboys scar, amazing guns, accurate as f**k
                            but be careful of the folding stock as mine and my mates broke in exactly the same spot, but once hopup is adjusted it is an amazing gun.

Comment

I would recommend an TM MC-51. It can be upgraded over time but all you really need is a G3 stock(big battery), tight bore barrel and a small tune. If you go the whole hog like my mate then chuck a systema gear box in it. On Sunday he got a confirmed 70m hit, all he could see of the guy was his elbow sticking out from behind a tree.
                              TM MC-51 (Full Systema Energy gearbox and all the other internal fo shizzal)
                              Star AW-338 Sniper Rifle
                              Maruzen APS Type 96
                              TM P226, Tac Master .
                              WE SCAR + VFC UGL
                              KSC GBB MP7, KSC USP .45 XM survive

Comment

Just the thought of buying something as ugly as a FAMAS makes me want to vomit. I don't care how good it is, it's fugly. After all Jo Brand is bloody funny, but I wouldn't want her in my bed!

The MC51 is probably too long for her. She's only 4'11", making each arm about 2" and as far as I know, the stock on them is either fully in or out.
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                                Working...
                                X