Gas RIFs for starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas RIFs for starters

So I'll be starting airsoft soon, come about October. Coming from a real steel (Was an Infantry conscript NCO) and IPSC (sorta, I went through a course) background. My choice was determined by Fun and realism from the GBB system.

I would like to know if this is still advisable. My intended purchase for the GBBR was either a GHK G5, a ASG/KWA MP9 or a WE PDW. Any advice on the said models? I'm leaning towards the MP9 admittedly due to its super compact nature.

My other questions come to maintenance, I know GBB RIFs are fickle beasts and hence require maintaining, is it much more complicated than stripping/cleaning a Gimpy or AR-15?

With regards to gas choice, since my sidearm is likely to be a TM HK45 or TM M&P (should it release by then), I was intending to use Predator Gas, any opinions/advice on this choice?

Lastly, I am still open to consideration for an AEG, but if I go this route I've already decided on the model I intend to obtain (This is the backup plan )

Thanks!

Re: Gas RIFs for starters

Hi,

My advice would be to get an AEG first, airsoft is not real life by any stretch.. and your generally playing with people with AEG's, if your just skirmishing, so best fun/enjoyment option (imo). That said, I'd get a GBBR too so you can try both : O )

A decent AEG will get you skirmishing out the box (with decent batteries and ammo obviously), GBBR's are far more expensive to run (and temperamental?) and require more maintenance (not to mention been no fun mid game day if you need to sort something..Though personally I take a couple of AEG 's just in case, they break to...).

If you look at AEG's in my experience ICS pro (metal receiver/turbo3000 motor) stuff is good (and with split gear box for easy / semi real maintenance) without breaking the bank, and TM or BOLT are fun to use with the recoil engines.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

The G5 is awesome, as is the MP9. Either of those would make a good introduction to GBBs I'd say, the WE maybe less so. If you can strip and clean a real gun, you should have no issue with airsoft GBBs, they do have some fiddly small parts but after a few disassembles you'll be fine with it.

Abbey Predator is fine, it's somewhere between 144a and green gas/propane in terms of power - certainly it seems to be the go-to gas for people who don't want to risk breaking their TM pistols on green. My only concern would be that you may end up spending a small fortune on Predator, using two GBBs will go through it fairly quickly. I'd advise propane and an appropriate adaptor to keep costs down, the MP9 will be fine with it - it may even run better due to propane not having any lube in it which can mess up your hop rubber. The TMs may or may not break on propane, the HK45 hasn't been out long enough to tell and obviously no one knows about the M&P yet.

AEG is definitely cheaper (or it can be anyway), and pretty much the only running cost is BBs. Depends what you want. Realistically it may be worth having a cheap (second hand?) AEG on hand just in case something breaks (which it occasionally will), or if you just can't be arsed gassing up all your mags and loading them during/after every game, cleaning the thing before each day etc. - which will also happen from time to time :P

Although GBBs, especially pistols and SMGs, aren't nearly as problematic as a lot of airsofters would have you believe.

A spare AEG is also good for lending to friends if they decide to come along, saves them the cost of hiring.

Comment

G&G M4 GBB's are excellent starter GBB rifles. The internals are made by GHK and are very solid performers.

Comment

I would advise you to scrap all your plans and to completely empty you mind of any thoughts of this or that gun......go to some games, if you have to hire a rifle so be it, but just go to the game and focus on the experience.....nothing else. What this should do is highlight where your strengths and weaknesses are (in game terms), it will also guide you to aspects of skirmishing that frustrate or excite you.....once you understand these things.....then I would worry about what gun to buy.

This hobby can be really expensive, there's so much going out there, not to mention advertising hype and fan boys who want nothing more than to influence your spending and ultimately how you interface with the hobby. Its so easy to get lost in all the crap and lose sight of why you're doing this. Before you know it you'll have spent £1000's and will have more crap polluting your home than you know what to do with, and you'd still be none the wiser to which tool best suits you!

I know its obvious, but never confuse airsoft or its associated products with being real.....its not! Unlike in the real steel arena much of what is touted as quality wouldn't know quality if it bit its own arse! Airsoft manufacturers routinely use customers as Guinea pigs for their latest tat, because they can't be bothered to invest in TQM or even QC, and you'll be forced to become McGuyver just to keep yourself in game. This is why its not worth basing your gun purchase on what you think will be fun, or what you think looks cool......instead you base your purchase on what you KNOW you need and realise looks are only important in two places - 1. When your in the safe zone prancing around with your toy looking ELITE, and 2. When your sitting at home in your underpants polishing your weapon by candle light......

Anyway, welcome to airsoft....some days are good, some days are bad.......everyday costs you a little bit more

Comment

I'd say don't go with the flow and buy a aeg, be different and get a GBBR!

Comment

I'd say just go out there and have fun - don't over-analyse it, and buy a gun you like the look of as they all hurl plastic balls out of the pointy end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              WE G39C GBB | ARES G36K EBB

Comment

Thanks for the rapid replies!

I probably should have noted that I have played airsoft in several locations and used to paintball a bit, so I definitely know I love this sport/hobby! I also just need 2 more games before Decemeber for a UKARA (don't worry I'm buying only after I get that). Plus I've been saving up spare cash since 2010, I basically have a 2nd hand car to blow once I'm over.

I have used different rentals before, from MP5s, M4s and G53s. Do not worry, I still intend to use rentals at least until I get above said UKARA.

My biggest concern was size, since the RIF has to be stored off the hostel grounds, the university club chair has to hold onto the RIFs for those in hostels, so I'd rather not have that fella lug a large M4 or AK just for my sakes. That being said though, for AEGs, I was thinking of either an E&L AK (that durability though. Internals can be worked on) or a PTS M4 ERG (close enough I suppose).

I believe that we don't look at said gun when firing it (Except pistols, pistols always look cool), my needs are instantaneous trigger response and keeping me practiced with my real steel drills (I also am a reservist on standby till my university ends).

Thanks again!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

suaytemplar Find out more about suaytemplar
                Working...
                X