Metal vs Plastique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal vs Plastique

Hi all looking for a bit of advice/nudge towards ABS..
    I've always opted for the metal version of any AEG I've bought dont now why..always thought it was better,but after my recent shenanigans with removing my AEG from my loft I'm looking towards plastic(ABS?)..
    I'm looking for known user differences such as wear rates,what is better,why and how do they compare side by side,ICS M4A1 btw and grateful for any advice...cheers..

Re: Metal vs Plastique

Heh, I wouldn't buy one of the plastic ICS M4s. Our society had four as rental guns and we managed to break the lower receivers on all four before the end of the first day. ICS seem to use fairly soft plastic.

In general, it depends what you want. Most people buy metal guns because tbh there aren't that many guns out there now that are plastic where they should be metal. If it is a conscious decision then it's because metal is more realistic and stronger (certainly I'd only get a metal ICS M4). The notable exception is the popular G&G Combat Machines, these seem to be made of stronger stuff than the ICS ones and their light weight is great for moving quickly and reducing user fatigue.

Comment

For AR15 type AEGs, My advice would be to steer clear of plastic. If you plan on putting any aftermarket rail system on it, or anything particularly heavy on the front end your just buying a time bomb that will crack, either at the front of the upper receiver, the rear of the upper receiver, or the rear of the lower receiver. (I've seen VFC, ICS and a couple of other METAL lowers go in the join between the stocktube mounting ring and the body of the receiver. This is a structural weakness on the real thing as well, just have a google :P )

I've had a plastic JG ak, and it was kickass, absolutely kickass. Unbreakable too. Similarly, high quality polymer (that used by KWA or ARES on the PTS guns for example) is incredible. My MP9 is absolutely solid, and again apart from the bits that make it go bang, it's all plastic.
      Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

I've had a G&G raider (basically a combat machine) thats seen itself in a variety of incarnations with different rail systems, its always been solid. Definitely recommend G&G if you're going the ABS way.

Comment

I own an ICS sportline, and it's been through all hell.....and it's doing fine. Now, all hell for me may be a cake walk for you, so your experience may vary....one thing I've always been fearful of are the tabs on the upper body snapping off.

In general, G&G plastics (as others have said) do appear to be quite capable. But no matter what you use, anything will only take so much abuse before it pops!

Comment

After advice and g00gling I've decided to stick with metal,I just made a stupid mistake...doh!Cheers for the help...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

snuff Find out more about snuff
            Working...
            X