Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which M4 to get

Hi

i'm a relative noob, have been on the forums since i heard of airsoft, and have got a game this coming Sunday when i will have fulfilled the requirements to obtain UKARA.

im planning on then popping down to the showroom to pick up a nice shiny new gun, but this is where the dilema lies. i feel pretty confident that i want an m4, but which one.

i think i have narrowed it down to 4 different ones, but would greatly appreciate your advice because there is a large price difference between the models. its not that i mind spending the money, its just more of a case of whether i would get the added benefit of the extra cost, or should save my money. anyway, the guns im currently looking at are:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=6098
    http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5764
    http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5763
    http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5374

all 4 are CQB based guns i believe, but that shouldn't make any difference with using them whilst in woodland or urban environments - please correct me if im wrong.

the G&G and the MOE G&P arent too dissimilar on price, where as you add an extra £90 to get the Spec Ops one, and short of replacing the magpul kit and adding a red dot sight i dont see that much of a difference. lastly the TM, about another £90 on top again, i know it has the recoil system and TM's are immense out of the box, but is it worth £200+ more than the G&G, especially when you add the cost of batteries and chargers on top.

like i said im not against spending the cash, but want to make sure i get my moenys worth. i wont be buying over the net, as especially for my first RIF feel that getting a proper feel for the gun is best, but these are currently what im thinking of, and would welcome other users advice or experiences with these guns.

thanks in advance

Re: which M4 to get

Are TM recoils worth £200 more? Well, a lot of people seem to think so. The add an extra bit of realism/interest to your play that you wouldn't have with a conventional AEG.

The G&G is a good bit of kit. Solid, if slightly uninteresting externals, but you get good pretty good internals (MOSFET/High Torque Motor/Decent Barrel etc) and overall they are great shooters. Recommended for 'players' rather than people in the pursuit absolutely perfect replicas.

G&Ps are ok, externally very nice, internally nothing exceptional for the money. I've just sold my G&P Magpul rifle, lovely to look at and fondle, not bad at shooting, but not compelling/interesting enough to keep amongst the other guns I've got.

In my humble opinion, the best deal is the G&G in terms of performance/price ratio, especially for a first gun. Money no object? The TM, simply for the recoil/bolt stop coolness. The G&Ps, whilst fairly decent guns, would come out in last place.

Comment

Thanks for the response Speedbird, i do have one further question. i now have my UKARA, so can now be seriously looking at guns, not that i wasnt before. but whilst at my last skirmish i noticed that some of the guns had definitely more range than others. being that im just starting out, i dont want to get a sniper rifle, and to a certain extent i dont see the point - in the real world yes where you can pull off 1 mile shots, but in airsoft, where distances are nowhere near that - hmmmm, plus i like being able to provide cover fire if necessary but also want something that i can take out longer range targets. i understand that range has very little to do with FPS, and is majory down to hopup, piston and barrel, so i was wondering.....

would i be better getting a cheaper gun, with metal body and then upgrading the sh$t out of it, like replacing the piston, hopup/nub and barrel, to give me that distance/ accuracy, or would the money be better spent in just buying a gun that will be a distance shoter, and accurate out of the box (with some adjustmane to hopup)

many thanks

Comment

Do you plan on doing the upgrades yourself? If so I would look at a broken or non working m4 and upgrade that. The 2 that I have upgraded have cost me 60 quid for the base gun and a lot in upgrades

Maybe buy a new one to use for a while and keep a eye out for a good deal on here for a non working one get that and start upgrading chances are you will mess it up first time and either break your heads or piston so start off cheap until you know what your doing. It took me 3 sets of worn gear sets until I could shim correctly and I'm not sure how many pistons I have smashed I now use a full metal tooth one.
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a JG, and have slowly been replacing all the weak spots with upgraded components. Best way to learn, as you notice dramatic improvements as long as you get things right. So far in balls-ups, its cost me one piston when I corrected the AoE, and about three hop nubs (they're crafty little buggers for disappearing).

How long did it take for gear wear to show Richard? I'm relatively confident my shimming is okay, but I want to know how long before I know for certain.

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

I'm the same, ive been upgrading two or just one at a time, modifying it to fit properly if it doesn't (eg some pistons need filing to fit smoothly in some gearboxes)
            Although haven't broken anything yet did have to replace a lot of wiring because I kept eyeballing measurements. I now use a tailors tape measure and have had no problems lol. Take your time and read up and you'll have no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can usually tell gear wear rather quickly As it will ruin gears or bearings. Obviously the worse the shimming is the quicker the damage will happen. I think I fired 2 hi caps then took apart and checked everything
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

chrisbirley Find out more about chrisbirley
              Working...
              X