Is it worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it??

Hi people. I am in need of your help. I am new to airsoft but I shoot clay pigeons regularly and the odd paintball sesh. I have no idea about these guns.
    I have been offered a dessert eagle with two mags for £120. Is it worth it???
    Can this be modded in anyway???
    Thanks for any help.
    Here it is

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Re: Is it worth it??

What brand? With airsoft, the brand is important and can easily be the difference between a great deal and a rip off. Japanese companies make things to a much higher quality than Chinese ones for example. If this is a Tokyo Marui , who are a well known Japanese brand, then the price is about right if it's in good shape. Not a steal, but about right. I assume it's TM, the mags look right, but there are cheaper versions out there like the Taiwanese KWC which are less valuable. Good quality guns will have the brand/maker marked on it somewhere. All Tokyo Marui guns will. If it's a TM, then yes you can upgrade it with various internal parts, as well as some external bits like scope mounts and metal kits.

Comment

If you're as new to airsoft as you say, do you have any form of VCRA defence?
      REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Ok I'll ask what make it is. Do you know if it's upgradeable as I don't like that red bit on the end!

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

No I don't have any defence as yet!!!

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

It's a TM dessert eagle.

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

The red bit on the end is just a plug you stick in there when not using the gun (it's the US that has to paint the tip of their guns red).

In relation to having a defence you don't technically need one. The law in this country is weird (so much so that most airsofters don't understand it), but essentially as long as you're 18 or over it's not illegal for you to but a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF) like this. It's actually the seller that would be breaking the law by selling this to you. It would therefore be the seller that needs the defence, which he would normally have to establish by assuring himself that the reason you want this is to play airsoft with it at a proper airsoft site.
              102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

He has a defence and is registered. I quite like the look of the TM M1911 is that a better pistol? Seems to be more mods for that on the few sites I've looked at.

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

And thanks to everyone that's commented so far.

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

The seller would indeed be breaking the law. It doesn't matter that he's registered. He needs to check that the buyer has a suitable defence to stay within the law. The buyer must have the defence. There are many discussions on this in the relevant section.

As to your question, is it worth it? Then as answered it is just about right as a tm. Personally I think they're great but quite big to handle. You either love them or hate them! 1911 is a great pistol too. Easier handled.
                    "Praise the LORD, who is my rock. He trains my hands for war and gives my fingers skill for battle." Psalm 144:1

Comment

I'm sorry, last I'll say on this (anyone can PM me if needed) but the buyer does not "need a defence" (why would you need a defence against prosecution for something you can't be prosecuted for?).

Just to be clear for you snailz (as these laws are really confusing!) any time someone over 18 buys a RIF they are not breaking a law, therefore they cannot be arrested or prosecuted for doing so. Any time someone sells a RIF they are breaking the law, therefore they can be arrested and prosecuted for doing so.

This means that if you are over 18 and buy this RIF, no matter whether you play airsoft or not, you cannot be arrested, cannot be prosecuted and therefore do not "need a defence."

The person who is selling you this on the other hand will be breaking the law. After the sale he could be arrested for doing so and he could then be prosecuted (and face a five year jail term!). He could avoid this prosecution by showing he had a defence against prosecution for this particular sale (NOTE: This is needed for each particular sale - just being 'registered' with someone does not allow him to have some catch-all defence against any prosecution related to RIFs!). In this particular case his defence would be that he was providing the RIF to you for you to use it at a site with proper insurance. Now, if you can't give him the evidence he would need to establish this fact then he could be in big trouble!

Essentially the confusion lies in the misuse of the wording. When people say: "the buyer needs a defence" what they actually mean is: "the buyer needs to be able to provide a defence (for the seller)." Having and providing are not the same thing!

MESSAGE: If you don't want the person who is selling you this RIF to potentially serve up to five years then you should ensure that you can provide them with a defence by, for example, showing that you will be using the RIF to play airsoft at a proper airsoft site.

Sorry it's long, but I hope that helps!
                      102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Thanks longshot! I will be using it at combat action games In Norwich Norfolk.

Guns, guns, guns!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                          I'm sorry, last I'll say on this (anyone can PM me if needed) but the buyer does not "need a defence" (why would you need a defence against prosecution for something you can't be prosecuted for?).

Just to be clear for you snailz (as these laws are really confusing!) any time someone over 18 buys a RIF they are not breaking a law, therefore they cannot be arrested or prosecuted for doing so. Any time someone sells a RIF they are breaking the law, therefore they can be arrested and prosecuted for doing so.

This means that if you are over 18 and buy this RIF, no matter whether you play airsoft or not, you cannot be arrested, cannot be prosecuted and therefore do not "need a defence."

The person who is selling you this on the other hand will be breaking the law. After the sale he could be arrested for doing so and he could then be prosecuted (and face a five year jail term!). He could avoid this prosecution by showing he had a defence against prosecution for this particular sale (NOTE: This is needed for each particular sale - just being 'registered' with someone does not allow him to have some catch-all defence against any prosecution related to RIFs!). In this particular case his defence would be that he was providing the RIF to you for you to use it at a site with proper insurance. Now, if you can't give him the evidence he would need to establish this fact then he could be in big trouble!

Essentially the confusion lies in the misuse of the wording. When people say: "the buyer needs a defence" what they actually mean is: "the buyer needs to be able to provide a defence (for the seller)." Having and providing are not the same thing!

MESSAGE: If you don't want the person who is selling you this RIF to potentially serve up to five years then you should ensure that you can provide them with a defence by, for example, showing that you will be using the RIF to play airsoft at a proper airsoft site.

Sorry it's long, but I hope that helps!
                          Finally.....someone who gets it! You should take a picture of yourself and send it to the Daily Telegraph! You're a Unicorn, and therefore as rare as rocking horse sh*t!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

snailz Find out more about snailz
                          Working...
                          X