Looking for a metal pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a metal pistol

I'm looking for a new pistol. Specifically, I'm looking for one's made of steel or with the option of a kit to upgrade to steel. Realistic trades are also a huge factor. Currently, I've narrowed it down to two.

WE M9A1 Marine Version
    Pros - Steel, laser-etched trades, overall the cheap option, can take a double stack magazine.
    Cons - It's WE which makes reliability hit and miss. Horror stories all over the interwebs, but I presonally haven't had an issue with my WE Hi-Capa 7" for the year I've owned it.

TM M1911A1
    Pros - Known for its reliability.
    Cons - Would require a steel body kit, which makes it twice the price of the WE.

These two are my choices so far, I'm just after advice on which I should be throwing my money at. I'm open to other pistols, as long as they're an M1911 or M9. Steel and realism are the deciding factors, double stack magazines would be a bonus. Money's not a huge issue, I'm happy to turn this into a long term project, but obviously keeping costs down would be great.

I'm going to continue doing research into this as well, if I find anything, I'll post it on here. Hopefully someone else in my position will find it useful.

Re: Looking for a metal pistol

Are you sure you mean/want 'steel?'

There are plenty of good metal pistols out there, but very, very few steel ones.
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Thought the metal used is steel? If not, that's just my speak, I'll put an edit in the original post

Comment

No, the vast majority of metal airsoft guns use Chinese pot metal, it works fine but is nowhere near the quality of steel. There are a fair few steel rifles about now though, most noticeably AKs (GHK, LCT and some CYMAs for example), but the only steel 1911 I can think of off the top of my head is the Inokatsu. It's worth a Google though, because it's a thing of beauty.

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Ha, I'm familiar with Inokatsu's. Ok, well from now on, the terms steel and metal in the OP mean metal.

Comment

I think you should keep meaning steel and go buy the Inokatsu 1911, it's so purty. If you don't like it you can give it to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
              If you don't like it you can give it to me!
              If

Comment

I suppose I should actually try and be helpful now in relation to your original question!

Here are my 1911s:

They're all metal except for the short TM Warrior at 6 o'clock.

The grey and chrome at 12 and 8 are both WE. They're fairly well made, but have no trades. Quality with WE 1911s is a bit hit and miss. I was lucky with these two, but both need good weather to perform and even then aren't going to have the performance of a TM.

The grey and Nighthawk Custom black at 4 and 10 are both KWC. I've bought two of these KWC CO2 1911s recently because they have really really impressed me. Three full mags out of one CO2 capsule and the kick is the hardest I've felt on a metal pistol. The build quality is excellent too; far less wobble than most pistols. They do both have trades but they are of the 'printed' variety rather than etched in. The only really downfall with these is that it's really hard to play with the externals as most aftermarket parts won't fit them.

Finally in the 2 o'clock slot is the gem of the bunch. That's a Mike Cripps build, a TM 1911 MEU base with a Nova LA Vickers Custom body and a load of Nova steel fixtures. In all honesty is you really want a nice metal 1911 (and don't want to spend the £500+ on an Innokatsu) then this might be the route to follow. Just make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing to install the kit (and any other upgrades needed). Mike Cripps is/was the best in the business, but last I heard he wasn't doing 1911s anymore. The odd one of his does come up for sale every now and then though.

Comment

Ah, thank you. Sounds like I'll be avoiding the WE 1911's. KWC seems like a good choice if I can't be bothered with the Marui, haha.

So, go for the MEU, not the A1 then? I've seen a lot of people use the MEU, I'd just rather not buy a pistol and the wrong kit for it. Is the Nova kit any good, how's the construction feel? Solid, no wobbles?

Comment

If you want a solid feeling, hard kicking 1911 that performs out of the box then the new KWCs are a good bet. Just remember that you need to get one that's made for the UK market so it's sub 350 FPS, and also that most upgrades won't fit them without a fair bit of work.

If you want the best combination of feel and performance then a TM (I assume standard or MEU, but I'm no techie!) as a base with a good kit on it is the way to go. I highly rate the Nova kit and parts over something like Guarder. Mine is very solid, but kits sometimes need some work to fit, so you want to ensure it's fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, otherwise you will end up with wobble and ill fitting parts, as well as effecting your performance.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ItsRainbowDash Find out more about ItsRainbowDash
                    Working...
                    X