Which Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Gas?

I know this subject will have been done to death, but I have searched and not been able to find a thread with the answer I need. I so far have two GBB pistols, KWA HK45 and KWA 1911 and I will be getting an M9, either TM or KWA. So that's one, possibly two metal guns, possibly a plastic gun and a plastic lower with a metal upper gun. I want to use them all year round, mostly at an outdoor site, so what's the best all round gas, or more to the point, what should I stay away from to avoid knacking my guns?

I've heard some gases are only to be used in specific temperature ranges, not to hot, not to cold and some are advised not to be used with plastic guns. I don't really want to be buying three or four different gases, so just want a decent all rounder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.
    The only stupid question is one that was never asked.

Re: Which Gas?

If you've got KWAs (presumably with metal slides?), use green gas or propane all the time. You may even find if it's a bit nippy out you need something even stronger to keep the cycling snappy, like propene or Guarder Powerful gas.

Comment

Yes use Green Gas/Propane for all of them, metal guns will be fine, and most of TMs GBBs are pretty happy with it. Their new M9A1 is, so you can use the same gas in all of them.

Comment

Cool, green gas it is. Any particular make or are they all pretty much the same?

Comment

There are different brands but the main choices are propane or green gas. I use propane because its cheaper and works fine if you lube the gun and seals well.

Comment

Use MAPP during the colder months for when Propane is at it's weakest.
            - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

All the branded green gases are pretty much identical, if you want super cheepz you can use propane with an adaptor (as I'm sure you've heard green is just propane and lube). Either way if you use metal slides in the winter you're going to want something like MAPP gas or Guarder Powerful Gas to keep the gun cycling well.

Comment

Pretty much all types of "green" gas run from 120 to 160 PSI, so no big difference. Buy a quality brand one so you know there is enough and good lube on it.
                MAPP gas can be up to 250 PSI, and can damage the seals pretty quickly, as I found in my research.
                Propane is the base of green gas, with pressure around 140 PSI, but no lube and bad smell make it a hard choice, and price in the Uk is not so great, plus you will be needing a propane adaptor...

I do have a KWA and I recommend sticking to green gas, and preferably not the cheapest...

Comment

Originally posted by A07 View Post
                  Propane is the base of green gas, with pressure around 140 PSI, but no lube and bad smell make it a hard choice, and price in the Uk is not so great, plus you will be needing a propane adaptor...
                  You're joking right? Propane is wayyy cheaper than green gas, the adaptor pays itself after a few bottles.

Also, if you use your gas guns a lot then not having any lube in it is a bonus because it doesn't get all over the insides and attract dirt, your hop will be a lot more consistent when it's not covered in silicone oil. I find most GBBs, particularly the rifles, run very well relatively 'dry', with lube only on the rubber seals and high wear moving surfaces like the bolt rails.

Comment

Well, got some Nuprol 2.0 green gas. It'll be a few weeks before I get to a game to try it out properly so hopefully it'll be fine for summer and winter.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Super64 Find out more about Super64
                    Working...
                    X