Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&D DTW: Is it worth it?

Hello,

Im after a no BS evaluation of the DTW platform from people who have owned/own one: Is it actually worth it?

Now, i realise that it wont be anything compared to a PTW, but thats to be expected from something that is more than half the price.

I have done a search of the forum before posting, but i found nothing directly relating to wether or not DTW's are cost effective. Ive heard that despite the low initial investment, in the long run, they can cost a serious amount of money.

In addition, does anyone have any views on the newest spec DTW with the programmable ecu?

Thanks in advance.

Re: G&D DTW: Is it worth it?

I have one of the older version and have used the 2014 version, I personally rate them quite highly.
    The clown has no penis

Comment

As you have already stated, its obviously not systema, but its still very good for something more than half the price.

I actually own 2! One of the older, original types that had a fair number of proprietary parts and one of the max3 variants which so far has seemed totally ptw compatible bar the inner barrel and hop chamber sleeve (which will need changing if you want to use an aftermarket hop unit for example).

I dont know where people are getting such a bad experiance with them from or quite why they are having to sink soo much money into them as ive never had a single issue with mine after getting past a handful of changes in set up out of the box which i wont bore you with now, but feel free to PM me with questions). The programmable ECU in the max3 variants is a absolute doddle to set up and as i never actually use automatic fire in my guns anywhos, ive got mine set up for single and 3 round burst. Its crisp as anything on an 11.1 lipo too!

The only big downside ive found are the G&D magazines. The spring in them is poor and wont keep up with burst/auto on anything over .2 weight ammo. Ive just picked up a load of Vanaras PMags however that are flawless.

If you have any questions, fire away!

Comment

Yorik thats spot on. I think combined with the MDD hop and hyperion barrel i think they are on par with basic systemas for accuracy, regardless what the systema fan boys think.

The only thing is that the externals arnt as good as systema obviously which is where i thnk the price of systema's are calculated most.

I have only changed the electrics to etiny as i want and am turning mine to a L119a1 and the inner and hop to STTS.

externally all the parts except reciever, buffer and outerbarrel.
        Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

Cheers bud!

Just to make you aware if you haven't purchased the STTS hop yet (i presume the MDD), then you will need to get a new hop chamber sleeve as the DTW isn't compatible with a STTS hyperion barrel when paired with the MDD hop (or at least is wasnt on mine!)

I play with mine as a DMR on sites that will allow it with a G&D gold cylinder and lock it to semi on the ECU. And that has to be one of the best parts of the entire setup. The G&D cylinders are SOOOOO cheap in comparison to everyone elses! To put it into perspective, when looking at Systema cylinders, i could spend an extra $80 and get a whole DTW gun!

Comment

Again Yorik is spot on. I would like to buy a second upper. Lime an m16 length and a gold cylinder and swap it out on the fly.

Comment

How is the stock accuracy/range?

How much of a difference does the MDD hop unit make? Ive heard the original hop units are rubbish when running anything over a .2, but this was on one of the original DTW's.

Also god84 why did you change the electronics to an etiny setup? Was it a personal preference or did the orignal set decide to melt?

Thanks

Comment

Personal preference mate wanted to have a smaller mos get so I could use the car 15 stocks as I'm can't stand the crane stock lol plus I'm putting an L119 together.

Comment

Originally posted by Arbiter View Post
                  How is the stock accuracy/range?
                  Its been pretty spot on with mine, run everything up to .28 bastards through it. The only real reason ive changed my hop out is so ive got access to it on the fly via the ejection port rather than de-magging and faffing with an allen key every time i change weight/brand etc

Comment

Yorik I can't alter my hop via the ejection port if the reciever are together as it's proper stiff so I have to undo the recievers

Comment

Tried pulling the charging handle back a little? Having it locked forward locks my hop solid in place (which helps i guess), it will adjust happily once the charging handle is no longer locked forwards against it. Sound stupidly simple but worked for me...

Comment

Ah ill give that a go ha.

Comment

In terms of stock tube and threads, are they aeg spec, or like the ones found on a ptw?

Ive also heard that all DTW's have a 14mm ccw thread. Is this true or is it just promotional hype?

Also, ive pm'ed you yorik about the changes youve done to your DTW.

Comment

Stock tubes a definitely not AEG, they are GBB/Real steel type and screw into the receiver and lock in place via the castle nut, unlike AEGs that lock into place via a bolt and nut.

Both of mine have a standard 14mm ccw and take any standard accessory

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Arbiter Find out more about Arbiter
                            Working...
                            X