Advice on this mask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on this mask?

The mesh is good as it's 20 something gauge wire mesh. No BB will get through that. It was only the nose part.

Update: Here's a video showing these masks. As far as I can see, they look pretty rock solid. I'm not sure if this one was modified in any way, though I was considering putting a coat of lacquer over mine for a bit of extra defense. If not then I'll just reinforce it in some way (it's too nice to have broke).
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T_H51yVvDDk

Comment

Yeah, from that video it looked alright to me. Hopefully just a "bad batch" and you'll get a great new one soon. Test it first though, Billy what do you mean by laquer? Sounds like a great idea, when i get mine what do i need and how do i do it? Thanks
      Current Armoury
      TM M14 (OD) Red Dot Scope

ICS m16a3 - standard (as it should be!)

TM Spas 12

Comment

Lacquer is usually a protective coating for paints. I use it on all my spray jobs so they don't wear away easily. I'm not sure if these masks have been lacquered already, you'll have to ask someone about using the right lacquer in the right way. It'll stop as much paint chipping on the mask but may add a little glossy-ness to it.

Comment

Had my mask since Christmas and my brother's arrived today.

They're freakin badass! Very comfortable and very well made.

As for testing, well I shot myself at point blank (literally point blank, in the side of my own head with a Mac 11 which I CHRONO'd at 295 FPS) in the side of my mask, 1 shot. A little dent and some paint scuffing, as expected.

People must remember that these and basically all other masks are NOT meant to be shot at that distance. You'll never get shot that close and not in the head either. From a distance of about 10 meters with a pistol chrono'd at 310 FPS (warmed green gas mag), there were no marks at all.

HOWEVER, I can now confirm that BB's DO shatter on mesh. I shot my brother today to test it, the BB fragmented on the mesh. It didn't hit his eye luckily, it was on the side of his nose. These are high quality BB's, they were Excel 0.25g BB's. They aren't cheap and crap, they will fragment. I highly recommend a cheap pair of clear sun glasses or plastic goggles to wear under your mask. They fit nicely, but they press into your face a little bit. You could even just cut some thin plastic and tape it around the inside of the mesh to make sure.

Overall I'd recommend these masks. They could probobly resist a 500 FPS sniper rifle shot from about 15-20 meters, but constantly shooting them will damage them.

Oh it is also worth noting that you CAN look down iron sights and scopes with them. I can look down my M4A1 iron sights (just about) and the ACOG sitting above. My brother can look down the sites on his M79, G36C and SPAS 12, so they're no problem to aim with

Comment

More and more Im getting the feeling I got a shitter...

Comment

Here's pictures of us with our AO2 gear:

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
              Working...
              X