Need advice on charging battery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on charging battery!

Hey guys, so I'm new to airsoft. I bought myself a CM16 Carbine (G&G) a few months ago. The battery I bought died after 7 x 1-2 hour shooting sessions. So I just bought another one and I think it could be the charger that made my first battery die.

So I need advice on what mA I should charge my 8.4v Ni-MH battery as it says "Charge for 14 hours on 150 mA" But the only problem is, my charger only has 50, 80, 120, 180, 240 and 300 mA options. There is no 150 mA option.

What should I do? Anyone know a way I can get around the problem without having to buy another charger? Maybe I can charge it at another current without damaging the battery?
    Please help guys, I really want to start going airsoft regularly!

Thanks!

Re: Need advice on charging battery!

You don't have to charge at exactly the rate it says. Charge at 300mah and it'll take half the time. Sounds like you don't have a decent charger though. You can fast charge NiMh batteries with no issues so perhaps you should look into buying a decent charger with fast charge ability. Google it and you'll find a fair few.

Comment

The charging rate only applies to charging flat batteries, your battery might not have been able to turn the gun over, but it wouldn't be flat. I suggest charging your battery at 1/10th of its capacity, ie 1600 mah, then charge at 160 mah (or less) for 10 hours. If your first battery showed signs of condensation under the wrapping, then you were charging it too fast and the safety vents were lifting and releasing electrolyte. This reduces the capacity.

Personally I would change to a 7.4 lipo and decent charger.

Comment

Two questions:

1. Are you sure that your battery was fully charged when you started playing?

2. How many BBs did you get through in your 3.5 hours?

Comment

Alright man, thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Q1 Answer - Yes, I'm sure

Q2 Answer - Around 300 or so, I was mostly using semi fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, man, I had no idea airsoft was so complex xD

Or maybe it's because i'm new, but this stuff is very interesting.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Ok, no battery should die that quickly! If you want to stick with NiMH batteries then I strongly suggest that you get a smart charger.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
              Ok, no battery should die that quickly! If you want to stick with NiMH batteries then I strongly suggest that you get a smart charger.
              I do have a smart charger, at least I think it is. On the pack it says: "Auto detect battery voltage - Selectable constant charging current - Reverse polarity protection - Short circuit protection - Overload protection - Built in polyswitch (resetable fuse

Is that what you call a smart charger? or do I need to buy a new one?

Please reply soon, I don't want to keep buying new batteries!

Thanks

Comment

A smart charger is one that detects when the battery is fully charged and then switches into trickle charging mode. You do not have to worry about the charging current or how long to charge it for.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
                  A smart charger is one that detects when the battery is fully charged and then switches into trickle charging mode. You do not have to worry about the charging current or how long to charge it for.
                  Oh that's awesome, I'm buying one now, thanks for the advice dude, really appreciate it

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Name Find out more about Name
                  Working...
                  X