Ares Amoeba M4 for CQB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares Amoeba M4 for CQB

Hey guys, had a search in the review section and didn't get any joy.

Does/has anyone here own/owned an Ares Amoeba? I'm looking at it as a viable CQB solution on a budget.

Specifically, is the EFCS any good? Can the gearbox be worked on with TM compatible parts? I like the idea of the programmable MOSFET, electronic trigger quick change spring. I've got my eye on the AM-007 with a plan to front wire it and place the battery in a PEQ box. I'm not a fan of the top-riding battery housing on the 001 style gun, and from what I can see, it's not removable, otherwise that would have been perfect. I'll be replacing the rear stock with a sling look plate.

I'll be looking at replacing the gears and bushings, shimming, correcting AoE with sorbo and running on 9.6v (yeah, still haven't made the jump to lipo, seems like my mates running them always go through 2-3 batteries when my 8.4v 1600ma lasts all day in the P90).

Re: Ares Amoeba M4 for CQB

I'm confused as to why you'd spend so much on a gun for CQB (unless you plan to use it everywhere), when you can buy a [enter china brand name here] and still dominate ? Especially if you plan to replace parts straight away.
    Additionally to programme the amoeba line you need to buy the separate control box for £40-45.
    Maybe we have a different idea on the term budget ? :P

Comment

AFAIK the Amoeba line is the Ares budget range? Even the JG stubby is selling for around £180, the Ares I'm looking at is £160. I know about the cost of the programmer, but again, a burst fire module is about £35. I had my P90 wired with a Kong mosfet. I like three round burst 😁

Comment

I got myself an Amoeba CCR (AM-001) - the one you didn't like - and so far it's been great. Trigger response is really good out of the box with a 7.4v LiPo and, thanks to the mosfet, it doesn't miss a beat. The only internal upgrade I might make is a higher power spring (it currently shoots around 280-290fps), but I need to do some research as to whether I'll also need to upgrade the motor to maintain the fast trigger response. Also, I've no doubt I'll be getting the programming box thingy - 3 round burst seems like a good idea (and an ammo saver!)

For a 'budget' gun I'm happy. So far.

Comment

Three round burst is great, had a MOSFET on my P90, only went auto for suppression. Without digging through reviews, I remember a comment about the quality of the motor bein okay-ish.

At that FPS it sounds like an M90 that's fitted. An M100 should see you hit 320-330 fps and the motor should cope, but you will notice slightly less responsiveness.

If it's range you're after, change out the hop bucking first. You'll maintain your RoF and trigger response and may see a dramatic increase in range.

Comment

Cheers Ritchie,

Do you think an 11.1v LiPo would compensate for the more powerful spring? Or will I then be putting too much strain on the motor/gears?

Sorry to hijack your thread! :D

Comment

The stock internals wouldn't last too long from what I've seen, and I've heard of these things blowing their MOSFETS, but I've never worked on one so I can't comment. The speed increase can cause other issues like pre-engagement etc. Try the bucking first, then work your way back. A high torque motor and 13:1 gears with an M110 spring, corrected AoE, tooth removal and shimming will get awesome results from a 7.4v, but how much money do you want to chuck at a budget gun? I've done it, and enjoyed learning. It's up to you. Are you going to keep this gun for a while? Are you interested in learning tech?

Comment

Isn't the P90 designed for CQB?

I'm not against buying new guns that you have no real need for (guilty myself), but if your P90 is great, why not use that and get a completely different gun (especially given Ares' reputation)?

Or are you looking into it just for the sake of gutting the internals to upgrade?
                sigpic
                "I are God, lol."

Comment

Hey Will! I should have closed this thread really. I gave my P90 to my brother because I wanted a rifle more suitable to field games, and I was getting frustrated with a few niggles with the P90, mag length being one of them.

Finally settled on a WE SCAR AEG and a G&G custom stubby for CQB.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RitchieTheBrit Ex-squaddie, graphic designer, guy who keeps tripping over. Find out more about RitchieTheBrit
                  Working...
                  X