Advice on upgrading a G&G CM16 Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on upgrading a G&G CM16 Raider

Need some experienced input into my decision making process. I have the gun mentioned in the title. Happy with it as my 1st weapon, but after a few skirmishes, I'd like to improve the range on the weapon if I can. I guess the answer is to fit a 6.03 bore barrel to it? Would I need to change anything else in order to support the upgrade? Any internals need beefing up for example. Is it even worth it? Would it be cost effective?
    Any input greatly appreciated.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Re: Advice on upgrading a G&G CM16 Raider

Barrel alone doesn't add range.

First, take apart your hop unit, rubber and such, clean the barrel properly and try again. Could just be dirty.

Try using heavier ammo. 0.25g minimum, up to around 0.3g. Anything heavier will probably be too slow at sub 350 FPS.

Replace the hop rubber. Try a Prometheus Purple, Firefly soft or even a straight TM black rubber. For ultimate performance, an R Hop is the best. But time consuming and tricky to install correctly and require a lot of fine tuning.

Finally, barrel. Don't go tighter than 6.03 if your looking for range. a PDI 6.05mm barrel will be even better, and there is an argument of the Orga Magnus wideners at 6.10 and 6.23mm. But these come with other things to be considered, not least the fact that a wider bore means less air pressure pushing the round, so you need to compensate for the loss in air volume around the BB.

Have a look through other threads on here. What you're asking is pretty much question 1 in the Airsoft players question book. Very popular question!
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Caldy has pretty much nailed it. I owned a raider and probably dropped £150 in upgrades into it in the end, and it wasn't terrible, but I had my head in my hands in dispair quite a few times on the way, it didn't add much to the eventual resale value, and it worked out that I'd have been better off selling the gun unmodified, and putting the money I dropped on it into buying something better.

In light of that, my advice: Don't go much further than trying a nicer hop rubber (a bit of searching here will do you wonders, loads of recommendations, my favourites are guarder clears and fireflies). After that, honestly, save some cash, and then sell the raider to someone who needs an entry level gun and buy something along the lines of a top tech. It'll work out as about the same total cost, for a reliably better result, without the pain of trial and error, and the end result will have a higher resale value.

If you have a hankering to actually get your hands greasy doing tech, never do it on your only gun. Buy some clunker for £50-70 and work on that, take the attitude with your skirmish gun that if it ain't broke, don't mess.

Comment

Thank you guys. I have the answer I need. Leave it alone and buy a better gun
        Oh I do love shopping time
        Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Figjam View Post
          Caldy has pretty much nailed it. I owned a raider and probably dropped £150 in upgrades into it in the end, and it wasn't terrible, but I had my head in my hands in dispair quite a few times on the way, it didn't add much to the eventual resale value, and it worked out that I'd have been better off selling the gun unmodified, and putting the money I dropped on it into buying something better.

In light of that, my advice: Don't go much further than trying a nicer hop rubber (a bit of searching here will do you wonders, loads of recommendations, my favourites are guarder clears and fireflies). After that, honestly, save some cash, and then sell the raider to someone who needs an entry level gun and buy something along the lines of a top tech. It'll work out as about the same total cost, for a reliably better result, without the pain of trial and error, and the end result will have a higher resale value.

If you have a hankering to actually get your hands greasy doing tech, never do it on your only gun. Buy some clunker for £50-70 and work on that, take the attitude with your skirmish gun that if it ain't broke, don't mess.

What he said, or just get closer to your targets.
          sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

David J-S Find out more about David J-S
          Working...
          X