GBB SMG as a primary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB SMG as a primary?

I love the realism of a gas gun but don't have the budget for multiple guns. What do you all think about an MP9 as a primary weapon, my main issue is the cost of mags and there tiny capacity compared to hi caps even mid caps. Also i feel the accuracy at range may suffer and i'm not sure about gas maintenance.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Re: GBB SMG as a primary?

If you don't have the budget for multiple guns, don't go gas. You'll always need a backup if you're using a gas gun as a primary!

Comment

Why will you always need a back up if using a gas gun? If you take care of it properly and don't mess with it it will be fine. Been using GBBsmgs & GBBRs for the past 6 years as primaries with no problems what so ever. Only issue is the occasional woodland games with hicap heroes spraying and praying every leaf that twitches.

The KWA MP9 is a pretty rock solid platform, I used one for 2 years as a primary with no issues. 50 rounds a mags is plenty, just pick your shots and dont spray n pray. It will make you a better player and you will have much more fun!

Overall leave it stock, apart from maybe a low power bolt/CQB if its above safe levels. They are also pretty decent when cold. Accuracy and range on the MP9 is also very good for such a tiny weapon!

Maintenance wise -

Keep all oil away from the hop unit and barrel
      Keep the barrel clean
      After a skirmish/long storage drop of silicone oil on the release valve, drop on the fill valve of each mag
      Once a month or so get some Frog Lube and add a few drops into the trigger mech

Thats it really.

Comment

Because 9 times out of 10 people won't maintain them as they should do. Especially if it's a first or only gun. It'll get worn out, and stop working, leaving that person with nothing to play with

Comment

4 steps 2 of which are the same for AEGs so two extra things you have to do.... There's nothing else to it

Comment

I've been running a TM MP7 GBB for the last few skirmishes. Works well in all weather and its VERY satisfying to skirmish with. just make sure you maintain it after every game.

Comment

One rifle I can highly suggest as a starting off point is the WE G39.

Very simple internally, excellent magazine and highly resistant to the cold. Used mine in -3 temps before with no issues.

They are also generally pretty cheap. Only downside is the magazine shells are a little brittle in places, drop it wrong and you need a new shell.

Ive had 4 G39s each one ran through to about 20 - 25k rounds through with no real issues. To save more I would suggest buying the rifle new and get second hand mags.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

thanks for everyone's input, how about the issue of mags, say if i had 4 mags i'd be carrying less than a hicap! and i'd also have to carry gas on me and manually load each mag?! thoughts?

Comment

It's a decision you'd have to make yourself Fred, I play AEG mostly, but don't like Hi caps, so the compromise is, I have to carry 7-8 mids, for me changing mags, is a great facet of the game, while others prefer the convenience of a hi cap, just a game choice really, niether option is going to kill you, and if gas is your thing, any disadvantages will be more than made up for, by the pleasure you get from using it.....good luck with your choice mate..
                  "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Ive never had a problem using 5 mags in total. You just dont need more, it will take time to get used to playin with less ammo but over all better.

No need to take gas out with you, maybe a speed loader as most gas mags should give you 2 mags worth of bbs before the gas runs out.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                      If you don't have the budget for multiple guns, don't go gas. You'll always need a backup if you're using a gas gun as a primary!
                      Got to say I agree with this. GBBRs and GBBSMGs are a lot of fun to shoot, and (if you're an experienced player and play in very particular circumstances) are not necessarily totally crippled by their obvious performance inadequacies. Outside those scenarios - e.g. if you encounter very cold weather, very long-range engagements, other players using a lot of fully-automatic fire - you are going to be at a severe and likely frustrating disadvantage that can ruin your day's play. At best you will be hugely outgunned; at worst you will be disarmed by adiabatic cooldown and inherent shot-to-shot inconsistency. That's without mentioning the much greater propensity for GBBs to suffer mechanical problems - the MP9's Achilles heel is its disconnector, IIRC - which will literally disarm you.

If you want to accept those limitations, that's your choice. But you should bring an AEG (or spring) backup gun just in case; spoiling £30 game days for lack of a £75 second-hand CYMA or £50 trishot is stupid.

Comment

The MP9 disconnector breaking almost every time I went shooting was the only reason I sold my MP9.

One thing I and some of my team have learned is that an AEG backup is necessary. At Infiltration Airsoft Operation Colossus it was too dark to use my VSR10 and my G5 was not playing ball at all due to the cold and other factors. I had my King Arms P90 with me and it was so nice to have a gun I knew would fire every time I pulled the trigger. GBB's are fantastic, I don't even care if I get outgunned sometimes, but when they go wrong and you don't have a backup, it's so frustrating.

Even if you think your gun is indestructible, have a backup for those times something does go wrong.

Comment

Realistically it falls down to whether you want the hassle of the reloads and maintenance or if you would rather rambo full auto all day.
                          Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

True points, then again I don't airsoft much in the winter months, RS shooting takes over.

Very true about being an experienced player etc... IF my primary GBBR (usually my Kriss) fails (once in 2 years due to 4c weather and being very trigger happy) I switch to one of my other GBBRs. Though I have learnt when it is cold to use one GBBR for the first game use another for the second and back to the first again. Alternating their use which helps to stop the mags from becoming freezers.

Either way I am a massive advocate of GBBR use, I feel they add much realism and generally better game play overall. As actual planning and tactics become a thing if you want to win. As I said before Ive been using GBBRs 99% of the time for the past 6 years and I rarely feel out gunned, only time I do is during large woodland games.

As for very long range engagements my KWA LM4 & KJW KC-02 (10/22) have out ranged almost all AEGs every time, the KC-02 even gave some high spec VSRs a run for their money. When it comes to cooldown it is simply how you use your GBBR, if you run around doing 1/4 mag bursts, then yes you wont last long, but single shot and choosing when to shoot - remember it only takes 1 maybe a double tap to get a kill, not 250rds from a hi-cap.

As with anything its a learning curve, once you get to grips with the platform and how everything works its fantastic. I personally would not pick up another AEG, I'd rather not play than use one. Except my P90 but it was my first gun its 9 years old and runs sweet at 325fps @39rps and i LOVE P90s.

As I said the WE G39 is a great starter platform, cheap, reliable and very resistant to the cold (in comparison to other GBBRs).

Regardless a back up is always good to have.

So it comes down to if you want some realism and use tactics or spray and pray.

Comment

Regarding not have as much ammo, I carry 4 40rnd mags and I rarely run out of ammo. I find I'm less inclined to take pot shots when running a GBBR. Have a sidearm with you and make sure to reload when you die and you'll be fine.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FearlessFred Find out more about FearlessFred
                              Working...
                              X