Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Newb Guide: guns, gear, and game types for SMALL groups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Guide: guns, gear, and game types for SMALL groups.

New here. Looking to get into airsoft. I know a few guys who play and I have a few game ideas. So I will break this up into numbers.

1) Is there a type of gun a newb should look for?

I am very experienced (20 years) with a REAL firearm (hunting and target). Paintball too. I am good with a handgun and I do a lot of martial arts. Pain tolerance and training is good. I understand physics so adjusting a gun won't be an issue.

I've seen a lot of people say go for handguns first. I will need one so I might as well. Should I also look for a springer pump? I have lots of experience with shotguns.

2) Any gear I need?

I have a bunch of cheap BBs. I have plenty of camp, including my own leaf suit. Not much "mil sim" stuff though. A bunch of stuff suited for the Florida climate though (green and light). Got gloves too. Net face masks as well. Should I look to get a walkie??

3) The group I'm with is 5 guys. I have a few law enforcement type scenarios and one I got from node. Anything else I should look for? Got land to play on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Newb Guide: guns, gear, and game types for SMALL groups.

I would also add that my primary concealed carry pistol in real life is a Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm. I also have hands on experience with the REAL berreta px4 storm in .45 acp

Comment

There's no such thing as a noob gun buddy, buy what's within your budget and play and build it up over time...
      My first Airsoft gun was a double eagle m58b which was great untill I snapped it in two...

Also cheap 'Walmart' BBS are no good for a good quality aeg or shotgun in accurate and will more then likely jam your gun...

Oh and just so you know this is a uk based forum so mostly our concealed carry is a phone and our wallet and keys lol

but welcome from all the way across the pond enjoy our tea and crumpits old chap
      I'm on here so much I should be a moderator lool

Comment

As an absolute novice, wear some camos and go to your local site and rent a gun. Talk to the guys, everything will be explained.

Real world experience will only give you a slight edge in Airsoft as for the most part people will just run around shooting and the range of Airsoft guns is so short that your training and expertise won't help you that much.

Still, it's very enjoyable

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
          As an absolute novice, wear some camos and go to your local site and rent a gun. Talk to the guys, everything will be explained.

Real world experience will only give you a slight edge in Airsoft as for the most part people will just run around shooting and the range of Airsoft guns is so short that your training and expertise won't help you that much.

Still, it's very enjoyable
          This is some REAL good advice. I've handled REAL advice for 27 years
          "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Another View Post
            This is some REAL good advice. I've handled REAL advice for 27 years
            I've been waiting a real long time this comment

Comment

1) no. Just get one you like the look of and go shoot it at friends. REAL experience doesn't mean a damn thing here. Nothing else you've mentioned really matters either. Just get something that looks cool. Maybe don't get a handgun for your first game, you'll only be disappointed by how crap most of them are.

2) you need eye protection. Everything else is sauce and fancy dress.

3) no, the only 'scenario' you really need is 'the other team are over there, shoot them.' Again, everything else is just sauce.

The key thing is not to get so hung up on real guns and stuff while playing that you forget to enjoy yourself.
              - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
              - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

Thanks Super lol.

Are you telling us that you have made a career at the Citizens Advice Bureau for the last 27 years, Another?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERPROOPERATOR View Post
                  1) no. Just get one you like the look of and go shoot it at friends. REAL experience doesn't mean a damn thing here. Nothing else you've mentioned really matters either. Just get something that looks cool. Maybe don't get a handgun for your first game, you'll only be disappointed by how crap most of them are.

2) you need eye protection. Everything else is sauce and fancy dress.

3) no, the only 'scenario' you really need is 'the other team are over there, shoot them.' Again, everything else is just sauce.

The key thing is not to get so hung up on real guns and stuff while playing that you forget to enjoy yourself.
                  Thanks man.

As far as real shooting experience, about the only things that are going to be applicable are the understanding of ballistics (and sighting something in accordingly), and movement/cover/concealment. The difference between the last 2 won't be a big deal on airsoft, of that I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by stonewall50 View Post
                    sighting something in accordingly
                    Honestly this isn't that important :V
                    - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
                    - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERPROOPERATOR View Post
                      Honestly this isn't that important :V
                      Really? I would think at 50m you would want to be pretty accurate

Comment

A 50m most people are just watching where they land and adjust accordingly.
                        For Sale
                        Madbull Landmine / Black Hellstorm Gloves / DPM South African Assault Vest

Comment

The issue with sighting is that BBs are very light (even the heavy ones are light!) and it does not take much of a breeze to send them off target. Watching the fall of your balls (!) and correcting your aim is often more useful.

Comment

Might also be worth asking these questions at a US based forum rather than a UK one as you will probably get more suitable advice for your location.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
                              Might also be worth asking these questions at a US based forum rather than a UK one as you will probably get more suitable advice for your location.
                              Not many forums on Tapatalk with as many users. I looked. I figure the sport won't be much different here or there. Any differences will be slight. And I'm well versed in reading legal differences

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

stonewall50 Find out more about stonewall50
                              Working...
                              X