Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintball masks for airsoft

Hi all,
    I went paintball yesterday with a friend and he lent me his Dye Axis Mask. After a whole day I had no issues with fogging at all.
    So, I was wondering if anyone knew if paintball masks could be used for airsoft?

Re: Paintball masks for airsoft

As long as it can withstand a bb from a 500fps rifle at point blank range it should be fine
    I'm on here so much I should be a moderator lool

Comment

Only problem you'll find is some of the vents being over 6mm. Also your likely to find not all pb masks hold up to fogging so well.

Comment

Ahh okay, is there a way to know if it will withstand that kind of force before I buy it?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh okay, is there a way to know if it will withstand that kind of force before I buy it?

Comment

Put your paintball mask on Sir and let's put it to the test!
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

Originally posted by heroshark View Post
            Only problem you'll find is some of the vents being over 6mm. Also your likely to find not all pb masks hold up to fogging so well.
            I think you'll find that paintball masks tend to handle fogging much better with things like thermal lenses and fans built in. They also tend to have much better ventilation with huge air vents along the top allowing the warm humid air to escape. I recently built a paintball mask fan kit from FANZ into my revision locusts and haven't looked back since.

Comment

I had a big full helmet paintball style job and it made my head more than toasty...

Comment

Thats why I say "not all" .As with all polycarb eye-pro your mileage may vary even with fans and thermal lenses, what works for one may not for another which is why I find the whole "what eye pro won't fog up on me?" Q's pretty pointless . For exsample I've read some swear by ESS turbo fan with thermal lens then others say the manage to fog them up easily. Op most PB masks afaik have a rated 2-3mm polcarbonate lenses which are fine for AS guns firing @500 fps, and I see them used plenty in AS feilds.

Comment

Good point. I have the added handicap of using a prescription lens carrier too so ended up drilling air holes all around the edge of the lens, removing all the foam, eventually having to resort to the fans. On top of that I use anti fog but in the end there's nothing you can do about sweat running down the lens. Wrap around glasses like guarder eyepro seem a better bet

Comment

Oh okay, thanks for the help and I gather that there is no way to tell if it will withstand a bb before I buy it?

Comment

If they are rated for paintball, it's fine for airsoft (you see the copious amounts of US based players using them) However if in doubt contact the manufacturer for it's ballistic rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical Airsofter View Post
                        Oh okay, thanks for the help and I gather that there is no way to tell if it will withstand a bb before I buy it?
                        Don't know if there is a ballistic rating for the lens but as previously mentioned the size of the openings in the face protection might be more of an issue. You could basically get the same thing with fan assisted goggles and a mesh lower. Buying genuine military issue ballistic goggles or glasses is your safest bet for something absolutely guaranteed to shrug off beebs.

Comment

As heroshark, Polarblair and ReaconRabbit said above, it's you who is going to wear it. I tested my set up in a cardboard box and shot my sniper at it from 5 mtrs away.
                          Yes, it will cost you to buy the mask up front, and it may fail the test.
                          But how much is your eyesight worth to you?
                          sigpic
                          "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

Indeed a nice set of ESS turbo fan with a thermal lens will set you back a similar amount to a high end PB mask and you know it'll take it and probably the best goggle for staving off fog .

Comment

Okay, thanks. I think I will just buy some ESS Turbo Fans then

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Logical Airsofter Find out more about Logical Airsofter
                              Working...
                              X