Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for views on the Umarex/VFC mp5a5

Hi there,

I am fairly new to airsoft but I am almost settled on buying the vfc mp5a5 because they're a reputable brand and I want an mp5 with a retractable stock (for that reason I am not going with the Umarex G&G mp5a5 which has the UMP folding stock).

Does anyone own or have experience of using the VFC mp5a5? I was slightly worried because the US version of the gun has good reviews but that shoots c.390fps when the UK version is dropped down to c.305fps; I was just worried that it might not be made for shooting at that lower fps and so performance on the UK versions might not be good. I had noticed that retailers don't seem to be getting new mp5a5s in stock and I'm only seeing second hand guns for sale at the moment. Has anyone had any problems with this product?

Would appreciate any insights that anyone can give!

Re: Request for views on the Umarex/VFC mp5a5

FPS means (pretty much) jack. Some of the best guns I've owned are less than 330.

I'm sure someone will come along and shed more light on the subject, as I'm no tech, but range/accuracy is all in the quality of the hop-up and the air seals.
    sigpic
    "I are God, lol."

Comment

Are you talking about the AEG or GBB MP5? VFC's GBBRs and GBB SMGs have a very poor reputation. Their AEGs are much better, but still better on the outside than the inside, although that's preferable to the other way around; it's much easier to upgrade the insides of an AEG than change the externals.

Originally posted by watabouthim View Post
      Does anyone own or have experience of using the VFC mp5a5? I was slightly worried because the US version of the gun has good reviews but that shoots c.390fps when the UK version is dropped down to c.305fps; I was just worried that it might not be made for shooting at that lower fps and so performance on the UK versions might not be good.
      This is back-to-front. Lower FPS in this case means a weaker spring, which means less of a struggle to draw the spring back, which should mean faster ROF and less component fatigue. Yes, the power level is lower, which might mean shorter range, but that's irrelevant - you can buy the USDM version, but you won't be able to skirmish with it anywhere until it's also shooting ~330fps. You could look into a slightly more powerful spring to bring you closer to your local site's limit (likely to be c.330-350fps) but it won't make a huge difference.

Comment

I've got one....its not working atm mind...the trigger is locked a depressed state. And I know enough from past experience with gearbox internals that I'm not going to bother touching it...I'll pay someone else to do that for me. Anyway. Its a pretty nice gun....mines not too accurare. Not that that is too important To me anyway. Three round burst is nice, but it make maneuvering the selector somewhat uncomfortable for someone with small hands like myself. Build quality is very nice, it's pretty rigid. Barely anything is steel though. I'm not a metallurgist or anything so can't comment on how hardy it actually is. I'm a fan anyway, the polymer feel nice to the touch and have good give..so not likely to snap so easy from bumps and such.

I don't review things as you can probably tell...feel free to ask me anything specific about the gun...that might be more useful to get the info you need!

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your helpful responses! I decided I would go ahead and purchase it. It's so nice to get some other views on the worries I was having, feel much more confident with going with it now.

I probably won't worry about a stronger spring but I might go ahead and see about getting an r-hop installed in a few months just to improve accuracy a bit if it needs it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

watabouthim Find out more about watabouthim
          Working...
          X