Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Purchasing G36c AEG Model: WE or Umarex (Ares)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing G36c AEG Model: WE or Umarex (Ares)?

Just to put a bit of context down. I own a King Arms 556 Shorty, after a little usage and a couple of issues, I've decided to sell it and get a G36c instead. Primarily because it shut down and I ended up with a hire gun which so happened to be a 36c, after three of us physically couldn't get the blighter open to figure it out. Later we found put that if the hop unit was damaged it would be hard to find a replacement. Guy said that it might be worth getting something a little more simple to deconstruct or find parts if something goes wrong.

So I went looking at models and saw two that stuck out: Both the WE and Umarex/Ares models use nylon fibre bodies instead of ABS. Both have a bolt lock and release, which was one of the issues with adjusting the 556 on the spot. From here there opens up differences. The WE model uses universal parts (as far as I know) and may be more upgradable. On the other hand, Ares are known for supposedly poor quality control, use unique parts, but with them being the main retailer in the US, parts should be available, plus it has blowback.

Thoughts?

Re: Purchasing G36c AEG Model: WE or Umarex (Ares)?

The WE is very well made, although the plastic charging handle lets it down slightly.

Like the other WE AEG's its got a spring release, and and gun coming through WE's EU QC team should run at 330fps. Parts are mostly standard, other than the spring release system, and the little hands on I've had with the G999c it felt great. Solid and weighty, no plastic creak.

Not had my mitts on the Ares model, but knowing their reputation, I think the WE would be the superior out-of-the-box option with the benefit of easily sourced replacement and upgrade parts due to their non-proprietary nature.

Comment

G&G are bringing one out; I would be inclined to wait for that.

Comment

Believe it or not, the internals on my WE are far superior to my G&G. The motor is a bit noisy, but very torquey, at least on my SCAR.

As far as I know, the G&G has some propietry parts as well, mostly at the front end (hop up and maybe the furniture?) and I read that the magwell isn't compatible with other manufacturers mags?

Comment

G&G magwells rarely take other manufacturers' magazines. What you say about the G&G is interesting; it might well put me off buying one.

Comment

My G&G is VERY picky. ICS and WE mags are fine, APS and Lonex flash are hit and miss.

Best ones so far have been the G&G 120 polymer mags. Great bits of kit!

Might be worth waiting unto the reviews for the G&G start coming in, but if you can't wait OP, of the two options, my money would go on the WE.

Comment

The G&G 120 round polymer mags are fantastic, mainly due to the extended follower.

Regarding a choice between the two guns mentioned, I would have to agree with Ritchie; the WE would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
                The G&G 120 round polymer mags are fantastic, mainly due to the extended follower.
                Yeah, they're an all-round great design. Nicely tight in the magwell so no wobble, extended follower, ranger plate compatible and TOUGH! Saw a video of some driving his SUV over one, then loads and fires the full mag!

Did I mention they're also pretty damn cheap? All round win!

Comment

I'm looking a little deeper at the WE model now. What confuses me now is that some claim it is an EBB and other claim it lacks blowback. Did they release a new model or something?

Also, how do they fit the PTS Pmags? On the subject of which, will those fit in STANAG pouches? Still got 3 on my plate carrier from the Ares mags and was wondering if the PTS ones will fit in.

Comment

Bamf did a review on YouTube, can't post it because it was sponsored by a non-existent competitor, but no, it's not EBB. Afaik, WE haven't released any EBB's.
                    Last edited by RitchieTheBrit; 26 April, 2015, 19:12.

Comment

Their own site states it as Electric Blowback, that's what confuses me.

Comment

The WE is definitely non-blowback, unless they have just released a new version. I suspect that it is an error on the website.

Comment

EBB is a gimmick anyway, it adds nothing to the realism of the rifle, it just adds complexity that's not needed.

Comment

It is something else to go wrong.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GroverA 125 Find out more about GroverA 125
                            Working...
                            X