Comtac XP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comtac XP questions

I'm hoping some of you guys that are more experienced with comms kit can help me out here.

I recently bought a RS set of Comtac XP ear defence for shooting.
    I'm hoping that I can connect a PTT/Mic/Radio to them for airsoft use, but am thoroughly confused as to whether this is even possible.
    Really looking for the parts that I would need, and possibly a recommendation on a radio.
    Any advice is appreciated.

The numbers on the box are:

MT17H682FB-02
    COMTAC XP
    XH-0016-6058-4

Many thanks guys
    L.T.F.D - All day every day.

Re: Comtac XP questions

This is a thread I did a little while ago, should help.

First off, I started out with a couple of Motorola TLKR T8 licence free radios. They are ok and they allowed me to hear and communicate with my partner and also the team leader and marshals. However, at 0.5w they were pretty gutless and in GZ woodland they had extremely limited range.

I upgraded to Motorola GP300s and got a pro licence. This upped the power to 5w and the quality of the radios massively.

Having run with these using earpieces and small PTTs I wanted to get headsets and bigger PTTs for ease of use. The earpieces and tiny button mic/ptts we had were just bloody annoying.

So...here's what I personally did.

First off, I wanted a fist mic to attach to the molle rig rather than a boom mic and PTT. It's just a personal preference thats all, as I find boom mics get in my way.

The Components

1 x 3m Peltor Comtac XP - £105 (well known auction site band new and genuine)
    1 x Motorola GP300 on professional licence - £65 (well known auction site pre-owned and refurbished) – included charger and new battery/antenna etc
    1 x 3M Peltor FL6H 3.5mm Mono Cable (genuine 3M) - £20
    1 x Motorola MDPMMN4013 remote speaker mic c/w jack (genuine Motorola) - £30

Total spend = £220 per setup

The radio.

I elected to go for good kit. The Motorola GP300, although old now is the benchmark for this level of preofessional radio and whenever you look for connectivity, these are always referenced. Slightly large compared to more recent radio's, but damn near bullet proof.

The Headset

What can I say!. These are 3M Pelter comtac XPs - used in the front line by the real deal. Fantastic build quality, rugged and the two built-in, level adjustable mics pick normal conversations right up to 'super-human' hearing if you want to. They also noise cancel explosions and loud noises near to you. In essence, you can be in a battlefield situation with flash bangs going off around you and both hear and have a normal conversation. Just look them up on 3M or review sites for details.

Cables and mic

As I wanted a fist mic, I went for a Motorola mic specific for the GP300s (two pin) that has a 3.5mm jack to enable connection to the Comtacs. The only other item I needed was a comtac cable to connect the fist mic to the headset. This setup then allows receiving comms direct to the headset and outgoing comms via the fist mic.

Other stuff

I'm now tracking down a pair of 3M Camelback gel rings to replace the standard comtac headset cups - just coz they are even more comfortable (although not necessary). Also ordered a padded camo headband for additional comfort.

Overall

Obviously this isn't the only setup out there. There are many, many variations. Also, some people prefer boom mic, so if you want to go that way, you'll likely have to factor in a PTT with the appropriate connections. This setup is also for 'team only' - it won't allow comms with the commander and marshals as they tend to be on the licence free wavebands. But, I can always carry a little T8 for that if i want to.

The quality of the reception is outstanding and I can't talk highly enough about the Comtacs. Damn, they are so nice.

Some pics:

The 'components'

1.jpg

The Setup connected

2.jpg

The Mic showing 3.5mm jack to connect to Comtacs

3.jpg

The back of the Comtacs showing the audio in from the mic

4.jpg
    sigpic
    Member of the Outlaw Gaming Airsoft Team
    http://www.outlawgamingairsoft.co.uk
    "It's all about the Toky"

Comment

Thanks for the fast response and great info.

I think I'll be going down the boom mic route.
      I guess I'll have to decide what radio I plan on using before I can determine which cables and PTT I need.

Am I right in thinking that the PTT will connect to the headset, and the radio + boom mic then connect to the PTT?
      L.T.F.D - All day every day.

Comment

I don't think you can fit a boom mic to Comtacs that don't already have it pre-fitted (there are a couple of models). Give 3M UK a call and ask them, they are very helpful.
        sigpic
        Member of the Outlaw Gaming Airsoft Team
        http://www.outlawgamingairsoft.co.uk
        "It's all about the Toky"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Cornish Find out more about Cornish
        Working...
        X