Decision: MP5 or UMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision: MP5 or UMP?

So, I'm trying to decide which AEG I want next. I've been using the CM16 Raider for 5 months now and I like it, but I want to make the step into something new. I've ruled out snipers/DMR's I don't want that game play for now (plus too much money), and I don't really want another M4 or similar rifle. I want a sub-machine gun.

Not sure on the many choices but I had 3 favourites: MP5, UMP 45 and P90. I'm eliminating the P90 for now because cost and mags primarily. So I'm left with the UMP and MP5.

UMP: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5769
    MP5: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=6094

I read around and selected the G&G UMP because more reviews favoured it over the ARES. The MP5 I was looking at a retractable stock, although might go for folding.

I'm torn over the two of them. I wanted a SMG because generally smaller, and the UMP is fairly large and I've always had a soft spot for it (Blame MW2 & BF3). However the [G&G] MP5 is heavier but smaller. I've also got to think about attachments and mags. [G&G] MP5 gives choice of 200 and 40rds mags, and the UMP is 50 and 530rds. I'm still not decided if I want low or high, carrying isn't an issue I use a MOLLE vest, but the MP5 mags are smaller and more choices for pouches.

So if people have either or both AEG, or something different but similar, can you give some advice on what SMG to buy?

Re: Decision: MP5 or UMP?

I have that umg and can not praise it enough! Shoots like a lazer! Awesome gun. Would not sale

I have a tm mp5 which never gets used and will sale. Mp5 mags are cheap and loads of parts to change the style anytime

Comment

If your local to me you can have a look/shoot

Comment

UMP is rare & nice looking, but never see mags etc on the forums, whereas mp5's are common, loads of variants available, mags cheap as chips, as well as some great upgrade stuff such as swordfish front ends.
        Mp5 for the win.��

Comment

SH,

I can say from experience that the G&G MP5 (assuming that this is Gen 2 top tech) is excellent but unlike the UMP (which I understand is also very very good) has a higher number of aftermarket upgrade options and good mag availability; so would be my choice from those two options.

That said, I would seriously reconsider the P90. I own a TM P90 TR (with some minor upgrades - TBB, hop rubber, M100 and MOSFET) and it is without doubt the best gun I have ever owned by a country mile. The accuracy and range is phenomenal (especially with upgrades) and far exceeds anything else in my collection (great hop unit design). Its diminutive size makes it great for CQB and really gives an advantage allowing you to get safely tucked away whilst still being able to fire on target as well as allowing rapid change of hand and quick targeting. At the same time, the range and accuracy mean that it also works for FIBUA and Woodland and particularly on the ground where the magazine of an MP5, UMP or even M4 forces you into a higher firing position making you that bit more vulnerable - not a problem with the P90. In terms of messing with the guts of the P90, its a doddle... The P90 uses a v6 gearbox which is so easy to work on and remove if and when the need arises or you want a little extra performance.

There are downsides and the P90 is not as cheap as the UMP or MP5 although I reckon you could get a TM TR version (don't buy the red dot version) for around £250-270. Yes the mags are a pain to carry (I use thigh mounted mag pouches) and they're not exactly cheap (especially hi-caps which can also be unreliable), but its not financially crippling. The trigger isn't great (due to rear mounted gearbox), but again, that can be fixed. Even the plastic nature of the front end of the TM version for me isn't a problem and I've always hated plastic guns.

On balance, P90 all the way - can you tell I'm a fan?!

R

Comment

Sorry I don't have much time to answer this fully but I really do like the UMP though for compatibility; (ease of parts and mags) Mp5 is better. V3 gearbox although popular is not as popular as V2 (mp5).
            I find the mp5 look quite 'stubborn' but throw on a mp5 swordfish conversion kit and you'll get people drooling

Comment

P.S. If you decide to try a p90, consider getting the box mag kit, much better than the fiddly p90 mags, & you can then use your m4 mags.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the MP5 for that ease of mags etc but it may come down to the feel. As soon as I can I'll probably pop down to the showroom in Hurn and have a feel/go.

Thanks for the info on the P90 rjb, I may get one at some point

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SlyHuntsman Find out more about SlyHuntsman
                Working...
                X