APS - Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APS - Worth it?

Im looking to get a AKS-74 (ASK204) - steel body, real wood, MOS-FET [APS] as a second gun as i run a sniper but i was wondering if APS is a brand which i can rely on or should i spent the extra to go for a better know brand?

Re: APS - Worth it?

My son uses an APS m4 guardian, he uses as he won't let me! We have 14 guns and he won't part with it! Looks great well made and runs great.
    Only APS I have had but would buy another!

Comment

Funnily enough, I just bought an APS Aug para model and it came with an spare barrel as well, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, much better than the JG version, plus it's a quick spring change jobbie as well, which is always helpful. Solid construction overall, I'm impressed, my only grip, a little to much play in the mag well, but hey, I'm being picky. I did try an APS AK a few years ago when they first came out, but they did suffer from some bad press about some quality issues, however the one I had was okay, and was good quality for what I paid at the time.
      Hopefully they have sorted their woes out with their hybrid gearbox, and better things are to be heard expected.

Comment

Not too sure on the quality of their other models but my mate had an APS guardian and it was horrid. Terrible build quality and very unreliable electric blowback.
        They may have stepped up their game on their other series of guns, but I for one and not convinced by them to be honest.

Comment

My GF has an early gen M4, pre-hybrid. Stock internals aren't great. External paint is nice, barrel shroud is loose though.

From what I've been told by other users, the newer gen guns have improved a lot (from the hybrid onwards), same as Bolt, but I can only comment on hers. Long story short, it's taken a lot of fettling to get it to an acceptable standard.

The smart money's on Cyma. Out of the box they are very skirmishable, good range and I've been inside a stock one, and there's no gremlins waiting, just more grease than I would ever personally use.

Comment

I've got an APS UAR and I've been pretty happy with it, the internals seem pretty decent. A lad at our site had an EBB guardian M4 and it lasted about 3 skirmishes before the blowback stopped working.
            A cyma AK would be my first choice, a dboys or JG AK would be my second.

Comment

Bit late to the party as I have only just joined the group but I have been running an APS Kompetitor M4 PR302 for nearly a year so thought i'd give an in-depth rundown on it.

I got it cheap and wasn't expecting much. My plan was to use it until I decided what AEG I wanted with experience gained from games. The model is basically an M4 carbine with an all polymer RIS hand guard. In fact the whole of the exterior is polymer so its light. Ideal if your gaming all day. Its sturdy enough, although the RIS can be bent out of shape if you don't fit the battery properly and force the hand guard together.

I run it with an 8.4v 1600 battery pack which provides an adequate shooting speed and lasts all day without any problems.

It comes with a metal hi-cap mag, which I have never gamed with as they aren't my cup of tea. Also, when I first got the gun and was shooting in the garden it didn't feed too well and was missing feeds every couple of shots. Not very good.

The mag well is big and some mags do wobble but I have a collection of magazines and all have worked pretty much flawlessly.

I have some cheap low cap mags (can't recall the make, but they are plastic) that have never missed a beat. They feed perfectly. I then got a set of Army Systems Polymer mid cap mags. They fit nice and snug and again feed flawlessly.
              And I now also have a set of Magpul PTS Beta mid caps. Again they fit nicely and feed flawlessly.

The one thing I did change was the EBB. I swapped it for a non blow back plate as the EBB spring kept snapping as it wasn't really up to the task. Not sure if this improved performance but since I have done it the gun has run like a dream.

As for performance, when the gun is chrono'd on site its a consistent 310fps with .20 BBs. And during game I can get a real good distance that is more than adequate in game. On my site we do woodland, open field and CQB in a couple of houses and I have found the gun to be a good all round performer.

So, overall, the APS is a budget gun. It's basic but it performs. It performs enough for me to have decided not to get another AEG to replace it. Don't think for a minute that it can compete with the TM or WE M4s but I have used a Cyma and a Bo Dynamics and neither performed any better.

Hope that helps.

Comicbook Hero

Comment

That you so much, thats very helpful

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tipton775 Find out more about tipton775
                Working...
                X