PTW uppers on WE GBBRs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTW uppers on WE GBBRs?

Chaps, I need some help, guidance and advice.

Building a Gothic Serpent AR with a WE XM177, and the upper is obviously not correct. I'm not familiar with UK Firearm laws (other than not wanting to break them), so a real steel Upper is out of the question (so I have been informed).

So, would a PTW upper fit? obviously with modifications? as they are as close to real steel as possible?

Jay
    Don't forget to submit feedback! http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php

Re: PTW uppers on WE GBBRs?

Think WE can fit PTWs so don't see why it wouldn't be able to work the other way around, ask Tac on the PTW forum if you can't find an answer on here.

Comment

WE receivers need to be machined out a bit to fit a PTW. I'd imagine there'd be a bit of slop in the bolt carrier if you tried putting one on a GBB.

Comment

A bit is an understatement. No it won't work.

Comment

It'll fit (receiver pin spacing is fine) on the WE lower, but there will be far too much play for reliable functioning as the WE bolt is smaller in diameter than the PTW cylinder. Real-deal upper? Nope, case law says it's naughty (check the recently updated Home Office guidance to police on firearms licensing 2015).

Comment

Bahhh sod it all. I'll stick to the A1 upper then.. cheers chaps

Comment

I have to ask - which upper are you trying to get, exactly? If what you want is an A2 upper, and are prepared to engage a machinist, I should think you'd be able to fit a receiver from another RS-compatible GBBR, like a ViperTech or PRIME.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                I have to ask - which upper are you trying to get, exactly? If what you want is an A2 upper, and are prepared to engage a machinist, I should think you'd be able to fit a receiver from another RS-compatible GBBR, like a ViperTech or PRIME.
                That is an idea.. perhaps further down the pipeline though.

Comment

Interesting idea there PureSilver. I grabbed the micrometers and a WE bolt and Hop-up unit and a ViperTech bolt and barrel extension from my workshop. There's a surprisingly small difference in diameter between the VT and WE bolts - so shouldn't be any clearance issues with the bolt, but the VT barrel extension is a fair bit larger in diameter than the WE Hop-up unit so you'll need a spacer ring turned up for it. Aside from that it's just a case of slotting the threaded nose on the receiver to take the "wings" on the WE Hop-up unit and the WE spec outer barrel.

Comment

And something i forgot to mention....You might need to make some relief cuts on the underside of the upper receiver. Done with a Dremel with care, or a mill if you want it done neatly.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ProfHappyCat Find out more about ProfHappyCat
                    Working...
                    X