Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Setup Assistance required..

Hello,

The following YouTube link shows a fantastic example of how to build a good helmet setup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NObvWSbbXoU

I would simply follow his instructions to the word to replicate his end product, however;

a.) I have ESS Turbo's, so the knob at the back has to accessible to get the fan to function, ergo the original straps must remain, contrary to his bungee system.
    b.) When it comes to DIY, my skill set expands about as far as a slug's sh*t. I would so much rather pay for this kind of service.
    c.) Relevant to point b, I am terrified I will break something in the process, be it material or flesh!

Other than the goggles, same setup (fast helmet, turbo fans, ear defenders, lower mesh mask), I just wish I had the will and ability to construct this. Essentially, does anyone know of a service that does customs such as this? Because the way I wear it currently is grotesquely uncomfortable! I did notice on;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0V6SPr9W68

..that this guy uses bungee on his lower mesh mask to helmet I believe, rather than the goggles? (<-- As a side note, this guy's game-play video's are superb!)

Any suggestions and/or advice would be most welcome, especially if I am faced with the impossible of having to DIY! =S

Cheers!
    sigpic

Re: Helmet Setup Assistance required..

I know of no service that will do customs on things like this. Best bet is ask a mate who has his own set up to sort it out for you. Honestly though, if you have an opscore style helmet with all the adapters etc it shouldn't be too difficult to cut and re sew straps. I highly recommend you give it a go yourself, as in the process you learn lots about how easily things can be customised, the construction of mesh masks etc (if you have the time). In addition if someone else does it, you may well end up taking it back to the them to redo if you don't quite get on with the alignment etc
    Ess turbos are also a bit of a pita in that you have the fan up top in the way, but you seem set on a helmet so apart from cutting a notch out in the helmet theres not much you can do for that. You can add goggle retention straps via screws to keep the goggles in place.

If you need more help, post a photo of your setup being worn and i can work out why its uncomfortable: Most likely due to overlapping goggles and mesh, goggle fan competing for space with helmet.

Comment

Regrettably, I think that inevitably you will be correct in saying that I will have to construct this myself!
      I shall hold out hope for a few days in prayer that someone may know someone who knows someone.... Who can either aid or complete construction of these components, for a price of course! =D Whom may possess adept skills in this area!
      sigpic

Comment

Haha whatever happens mate, there's always a way! Im great at modifying ppe but i still haven't opened a gearbox nearly 5 years into the hobby haha

Comment

Ok, so I'm now a bit stuck..
          I got the tools, I played with my mesh mask, it now sits a lot better, and it's also attached to my fast helmet via goggle retention clips, very comfortable all round.
          With the helmet on, goggles sit over the back of helmet (so i can get to fan button), and they also keep the helmet in place in a secure manner so that I can jump up and down etc, nothing rattles or comes loose.
          However, I have a BIG head (58cm circumference is being generous lol), and now it's my Howard Leigh Ear defenders that are a bit uncomfortable, as the top band that sits at the top of your bonce is taking up inside helmet space. It is not agony, and if I have to suck it up and get on with it I can, but is there a way to modify the ear def's into the helmet that anyone knows of that allows for a little more give?
          I am considering drilling them into the helmet from (maybe) the top, and more importantly the sides of the helmet, as if that happens, then they have slack to sit without the ear def's attempting to coil back up, thus maybe giving a little more give to sit the helmet on my head properly? Or is this the wrong way to go about it?

Essentially, it is making the helmet FIT on my head as well as it would without the ear defs being there?

Cheers in advance for your replies

Nathan
          sigpic

Comment

Hi. If its pressure on top of your head, move the pads so they are not pressing on it, leaving a little slot for the head band.

Comment

These are for a comtac headset where you remove the band (other types and colours are available) but could you adapt them so the band isn't needed?
              http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...424817&alt=web

Comment

Originally posted by Marshi58 View Post
                Hi. If its pressure on top of your head, move the pads so they are not pressing on it, leaving a little slot for the head band.
                I cut the leather guard off of the headset band, and as such they fit *a little* better, but def a bit more comfortable. I had considered whether I should try and remove the ear pads and connect them to the helmet on the outside with the cable running round the rear, but instinctively knew I would break them. I have however, come up with another idea!

Normal cheap fast helmet, (removed the crappy visor and chin straps that came with it), cut down mesh face mask to fit face & goggles better, and the rear ess fan goggle strap sits at the back of the helmet giving a bit of support. Ear defenders sit fine, and are comfortable enough. But for a proper chin strap!! I was fortunate enough to remove the head set leather band carefully enough that it only pulled out the stitching and wasn't destroyed. Taking the 2 bungees on the front of the helmet, I am going to (with the assistance of my lovely designer sewing machine expert wife) turn the 2 bungees, leather head band, and 2 rear mount nylon straps into a brand spanking new super secure, comfortable chin strap that will hold the entire helmet in place!

Pictures to follow by the weekend hopefully =)
                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

u0933146 Find out more about u0933146
                Working...
                X