G&G 418 Mag feeding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G 418 Mag feeding issues

Hi guys. I got a G7G418 the other week with some PTS mags. I know, they dont fit but I trimed down the front and they fit great.
    My problem is that for the first say 10 BBs, I get nothing but misfires and very underpowered shots. Then it will clear up and be perfect. It seems to only be the PTS mags that do this as my 'MAG' Mags work straight away.

Any ideas of what is causing this and how to fix it up?

Re: G&G 418 Mag feeding issues

Welcome to the rip off world of G&G ownership! Sorry if that seems harsh but I HATE how crappy they are with almost every mag other than G&G mags. I have had 2 g&g m4's, and one of them wouldn't even take g&g own brand metal mid caps! However the same as you've experienced, basic MAG plastic mid cap magazines seem to work fine. I tried loads of brands of mags and had to send most of them back. The solution in the end is to change the hop unit, I then discovered anything fits, the compatibility issues are due to the hop feed tube length and I personally suspect from experimenting that the g&g feed tube angle is a bit off too.

The magazine issue really took the shine off my 2 g&g guns, I just don't think that's particularly good for such a big airsoft manufacturer, and I am sure it's not an accident on their part.

Comment

Rip off? Not really.

Comment

In my mind it is and I'll tell you why I think it's a rip off...

1) None of my old mags would work, had to buy new mags. I use mid caps so buying a set of 6 mags isn't cheap. I like pmag style mags. G&g ones aren't to my taste they have a massive g&g logo moulded into them. So after spending £250+ on a new aeg I then have to buy a load of new mags, I bought an m4 so I didn't have to do this. I would call that a rip off.
        2) To get my old mags working I needed to buy a new hop unit. It's a new gun, I shouldt have to do this!! Again I think this is a rip off.
        3) Before I found the solution to the problem (hop unit) I spent a lot of time ordering mags and sending them back because they didn't work. Postage cost to me on average was £5, postage cost back was around £3. So I have wasted £8 a time trying to find mags that fit, I can't remember the exact amount I tried I think it was in the region of 7, so I may as well have flushed that money down the drain.

I appreciate the above was all my own fault because I am being a fussy little girl about what mags I use however if there had been a warning about the compatibility issues I wouldn't have bought the gun. I think g&g know this and make the mag compatibility issues deliberate so they sell more mags.

Lastly...

4) The top tech con - the motor is meant to be a high torque motor. The resistance of the motor shaft feels the same to turn by hand as a combat machine motor. And performance wise my top tech with this so called high torque motor was no better than my mates standard combat machine.
        5) MOSFET - burnt out the first game day, retailer wouldn't honour any warranty. It was awful anyway so no great loss but disgusting that it happened all the same. I was only using a a 7.4v 1000mah 25c battery.

That is why I personally feel ripped off by owning a g&g, maybe I expect too much, maybe I am being fuss, but I've never had problems like this before and I've owned a fair few guns over the last 10 years. Hands down this has been the worst experience of any of them. Seriously you wouldn't feel ripped off if you were in my shoes?

Comment

Some of what you describe, I would put down to a lack of research on your part; the G&G mag compatibility issue is well known.

Do G&G deliberately make their toys incompatible with other manufacturer's magazines? You do not know the answer to that and neither do I. If they do not, then it is just one of those things; if they do, then that is a pretty sensible business decision on their part as it increases their sales. Why should they make their guns compatible with other manufacturer's magazines? Between us, my lads and I run 5 G&G weapons that take M4 style mags; I like the fact that our G&G mags (both high caps and the excellent plastic mid caps) will run flawlessly in my 3 non G&G guns that take M4 mags. They also run brilliantly in all the rental ICS M4s at the site where I am a marshal.

Mag incompatibility is not limited to G&G; I have struggled in the past to find non KA mags to fit a KA Thompson and my CA MP5K is very picky about magazines.

Regarding the high torque motor, G&G's website describes both the Combat Machines and the Top Techs as having a Hi-torque motor (usually a 16000rpm one) so, again, it looks like you have not done your research properly.

The MOSFET? Yes, their early MOSFETS were not good; however, the retailer was at fault for not honouring the warranty.

Would I feel ripped off if I was in your shoes? No, I would not; however, I might feel that I had been a bit of a plonker for not doing my research properly.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ravasempai Find out more about Ravasempai
          Working...
          X