Anyone use the BaoFeng UV-5R or UV-5RE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use the BaoFeng UV-5R or UV-5RE

Does anyone use the BaoFeng UV-5R or UV-5RE, If anyone does could you let me know how the are to use and what the range of channels and frequencies is like, i am looking to get one so that i have a larger range of channels than on my Retevis H-777.

Does the BaoFeng have access to the sub channels and how easy is it to program, as a whole would you recommend it and if not what radio should i get instead.

Also what is the range like on the BaoFeng and what is the realistic battery life like in a normal use case. Is the radio easy to fit into pouches etc you get the point

Just tell me what wrong with the radio, stuff that it doesnt do and generally what it is like to use.

Also can anyone tell me why BaoFeng, Retevis and Pofung all sell the same radios, are they the same company

Thanks
    ManBearGoatPig
    Current Loadout:
    G&G Combat Machine CM16 R8-L

My Station:

Selling: Tamiya Gravel Hound R/C Car 1/10 Scale

Re: Anyone use the BaoFeng UV-5R or UV-5RE

I've used one for a while and they are very good with long battery life and good range better than that of my kenwood 3201 as for channels that's the difficult part you have to program them in yourself,this is the link I used to program mine
    http://uv5r.net/uv-5r-channel-mode/#saving-channel

Comment

Originally posted by ManBearGoatPig View Post
      Just tell me what wrong with the radio

Illegal to use on PMR frequencies (you're limited to 0.5w for PMR), illegal to use without the correct license on other bands. Not that airsofters seem to give a shit that their usage may be impacting upon legitimate users who've bothered paying the license fees, it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz View Post
        Illegal to use on PMR frequencies (you're limited to 0.5w for PMR), illegal to use without the correct license on other bands. Not that airsofters seem to give a shit that their usage may be impacting upon legitimate users who've bothered paying the license fees, it would seem.
        It's also illegal to exceed the "speed limit" to "jaywalk" and to use "abusive words" lots of different social groups and some airsofters do not adhere to the law on the above examples so you saying "airsofters seem not to give a shit" about using radios without a license is a bit narrow minded and frankly a bit offensive singling them out I bet there are many companies,businesses and individuals that use them that have no links to airsoft and some of these will be unaware of the law regarding radios no excuse but still mitigating circumstances and not in the publics best interest to prosecute

Comment

To be fair it is almost impossible to find a good PMR compliant radio for Airsoft. If you know any good ones I'll get them bit if not then I will just use this I've in the 446Mhz range so that I don't interfere. Also it isn't commonly known about the pmr laws for radios, my current radios don't comply and I only found out about that today. Plus the ofcom website is giving useless at telling me what I am allowed to use. Besides I might get a license if I can get my head around the shitty ofcom site

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
          Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

Originally posted by jonglow View Post
            It's also illegal to exceed the "speed limit" to "jaywalk" and to use "abusive words" lots of different social groups and some airsofters do not adhere to the law on the above examples so you saying "airsofters seem not to give a shit" about using radios without a license is a bit narrow minded and frankly a bit offensive singling them out I bet there are many companies,businesses and individuals that use them that have no links to airsoft and some of these will be unaware of the law regarding radios no excuse but still mitigating circumstances and not in the publics best interest to prosecute
            Do you have a list of channels and there frequencies by chance, if you do, do you mind linking a copy

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

This should be it bud

Comment

You would not believe how many radios I stopped people from using when I head marshalled sites - the rules are there for a REASON. Years ago I was involved in marshalling rally events. Nothing &^%$ comms up like a bunch of muppets who aren't supposed to be on that frequency - particularly when their radio traffic clogs up the net when you're waiting for vital safety information to come though. Like the ETA on an ambulance after a crash (had this happen twice)

**edit** I can be as "offensive" as I like about Airsoft. I've been a player, head marshal, event operator, and run Airsoft related businesses over the last 20 years. An awful lot of Airsofters are completely boneheaded, to degrees you never thought humanly possible.
                Last edited by Heinz; 19 July, 2015, 02:10.

Comment

You would not believe how many radios I stopped people from using when I head marshalled sites - the rules are there for a REASON. Years ago I was involved in marshalling rally events. Nothing &^%$ comms up like a bunch of muppets who aren't supposed to be on that frequency - particularly when their radio traffic clogs up the net when you're waiting for vital safety information to come though. Like the ETA on an ambulance after a crash (had this happen twice)
                  Yeah that's fair to be honest that's why as I said I would be staying with in the PMR frequency. And that ofcom need to make it clearer. Although in you're case or sounds like they didn't check with you or the organisers what frequencies were free and not in use. Out of interest what radio do you use and do you have s licence or do you just check with the event organisers.

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

For Airsoft I run an Alinco DJ-446. It's an extremely well built radio - no license required as it's at the max power for PMR446 (0.5W). I got shot of my VHF license and kit aeons ago.

Comment

For Airsoft I run an Alinco DJ-446. It's an extremely well built radio - no license required as it's at the max power for PMR446 (0.5W). I got shot of my VHF license and kit aeons ago.
                      So what's the range and clarity of that radio and can you run headsets on it. Does it have access to all the channels and sub channels

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

Let's also say for example I get this radio if I operate strictly within the PMR frequency range but on either 1 or 5 watt power modes what kind of interference would I cause, could it be of hindrance to event organizers. This is also suggesting I am of the channels which the event team are on so in ground zero case that is channel 7.1 and 7.2

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

The UK spec ones are set to the legal maximum for the PMR446 band - 0.5W. Yes, you can run headsets on it. Range? Dependant on terrain, a couple of km in the clear, drastically reduced by terrain features. The usual 8 channels plus the 39 CTCSS tones, effectively giving you a total of 312 to use.

Comment

The UK spec ones are set to the legal maximum for the PMR446 band - 0.5W. Yes, you can run headsets on it. Range? Dependant on terrain, a couple of km in the clear, drastically reduced by terrain features. The usual 8 channels plus the 39 CTCSS tones, effectively giving you a total of 312 to use.
                            So if you are familiar with ground zero woodland would it cover point to point on that so that's a Max of like 3km with some moderate valleys and hills but mainly just trees. Also what is the headset adapter for it because this is making me change my mind

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

Oh and if you could pm me where the hell you got your radio that would be great because I can't find it online. Or just name another good pmr446 that is similar

Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ManBearGoatPig Find out more about ManBearGoatPig
                              Working...
                              X