Thinking about getting a TM G17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a TM G17

Basically, I'm after an airsoft pistol to do a bit of plinking/target shooting with and maybe try a bit of skirmishing. I would probably only be doing plinking and so I know I'd have to get a two tone one.

I had looked at the WE range of pistols but was put off by what seems to be a problem of either getting a great pistol or getting a dud one. I'd like my pistol to be a real workhorse which isn't going to just break after a couple of months but also to have a realistic feel to it. I've now started to look at TM which seems to have a much better reputation than WE. At the moment I'm probably going to go for the TM G17 but I've got a few questions I'd like to clear up first.

Firstly, one of the things I don't like about TM are the plastic slides, does the TM G17 feel plasticy and light or do you not really notice the plastic slide (I know that I can upgrade the slide but I'd rather not do that, at least initially)? Also, is it okay straight out of the box, again, I know that I can upgrade it but I don't want to have upgrade a load of parts just to keep it working.

Any other advice about the TM G17 or any other pistols that might suit me would be really helpful as well, thanks!

Re: Thinking about getting a TM G17

TM Glock 17s are great you don't need to do anything, the only thing I might do out of the box is get a 150% recoil spring. I didn't notice the plastic but if you want to change the slide to metal there is always the option.

Comment

Does that spring increase the recoil? If so can this risk damaging the slide?

Comment

Originally posted by Deer243 View Post
        Does that spring increase the recoil? If so can this risk damaging the slide?
        Yeah it does, not really sure I suppose as its stronger it may wear slightly faster but I never had any problems with mine.

Comment

Okay, thanks

Comment

Thinking about getting a TM G17

If it's for plinking, you'll be dissapounted with an all plastic pistol. For garden target shooting I'd go for a KJW. TM guns are really for reliable all year skirmish pistols. Not for the perfect feeling and looking garden plinker

Comment

What's the quality on a KJW like? I'm just a bit concerned that a KJW might start to develop problems after not that long. Also, are KWA Glock 17s any good?

Comment

I have their 19/23. It's a great little gun, and I prefer it over the 17. I picked up a TM 26 for when it gets colder and the KJW's slide will start to get too cold, and I can use the 23 mags in the 26.

The KJW was good enough that it got picked up every game instead of my TM P226, which is widely regarded as one of the best gas pistols out there

Comment

The KWA G17 is nie on indestructible.
                  The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                    The KWA G17 is nie on indestructible.
                    They have good gas efficiency as well.

Comment

I have had a few Glocks but the TM is by far the most accurate and gas efficient and also needs nothing done to it.

The KJ works 23 nice little gun but not that accurate and due to the metal slide cools down really fast in cold weather

The KSC (KWA same gun) Glock 17 is awesome and I have run one for many years with no massive issues but recently retired it as the hop slips and needs a tool to adjust in the field which is a pain but this was in my second one which was 5 years old and had lots of use.

I have had just started to use the TM (again) and it is by far the best option.

Curlyboy
                      'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

TM make the best all round Glock, but I still see it as inferior to a lot of their newer guns, especially if you want something a bit more substantial feeling. The best in my opinion are the TM PX4, M9A1, HK45, P226E2, 1911 series and the new USP Compact.

Comment

Thanks for all the bits of advice, I think that what I need to do now is find a shop with a good range so that I can see what they feel like.

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
                            TM make the best all round Glock, but I still see it as inferior to a lot of their newer guns
                            Likewise. TM's GLOCKs are probably the best once you take everything into account (I think the Stark Arms are better out of the box, but have no parts support whatsoever) but they're still pretty old-fashioned. I've also seen examples that have cracked both slide and frame; again, these parts are easily replaced with upgraded ones that won't do that, but it's not exactly a plus.

I would strongly recommend looking at new guns that are also new designs (that is, use the newer 15mm BBU architecture), specifically the USPc, HK45, M&P9, xDM and PX4. You could also look at the new revisions of older guns that don't have the newer architecture, like the P226 E2 and the M9A1.

Comment

Okay, I'll definitely look at the newer ones as well then. Just need to find a shop with a good selection now!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Deer243 Find out more about Deer243
                              Working...
                              X