TM or Tanaka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM or Tanaka?

I fancy a new revolver. I've had a tanaka before and it was alright, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the TM revolvers are like? Specifically the M66 6" version.
    Cheers!

Re: TM or Tanaka?

Compared to Tanaka, the TM revolvers are quite toy-like, being lighter, less solid and are poorly finished (especially compared to TMs GBBs). With the Tanaka you get the option of HW plastic or various special finishes. As a collector, Tanakas are much better (the RS compatibility is important to me), but maybe for purely skirmishing the TM could be better - it has a more stable/consistent hop up and takes 24 BBs. I'd still take a HW Tanaka with wood grips though, even for skirmishing, over the TM M19/Python equivalent.

If you do get a Tanaka, make sure it's not plain ABS. Go for either a Heavywight (if you want it to feel more realistic), or a special finish one (if you want it to look more realistic)

Comment

Heavy weight Tanaka all the way. I'd go plain black if your skirmishing it.

Comment

How well do they shoot? The m500 I had shot pretty well,but is their performance consistent across the board?

Comment

Every Tanaka I have owned has shot quite differently to the last. The larger ones tend to be better (N and X frames), but age effects the performance too since newer ones have restricted valves limiting the FPS heavily. For skirmishing I would probably look for a used HW Python, K Frame or N Frame. Keep in mind that even newer restricted ones are on par with TM revolvers since they shoot quite soft compared to the GBBs.

Comment

How are the J frames?

Comment

They are all good . Some are a case of getting the right ammo for the gun though ,most have fixed hop but you have that on tm. Only other thing that's adjustable on a few is the hammer spring tension but once again only on a few. Tends to be the m500 range. As for the restricted models if you know what your doing you can destrict them . Only other thing is cylinder timing even in a new Tanaka this can spin shots off to the side which is why I use mine single action as much as possible, also cause's less wear to the gun.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tomdrews Find out more about tomdrews
              Working...
              X