Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&P furniture replacement for Marui Recoil Shock M4A1

Hi guys,

I recently became the proud owner of a Tokyo Marui M4A1 SOCOM Recoil Shock AEG, & I couldn't be happier with my purchase. That said; like any M4 owner, I'd like to make a couple of aesthetic modifications - but this time I'm looking to emulate an older weapons platform rather than just adding a fancy rail system...

Specifically; I'm looking to replace the butt-stock & handguard to make it look more like an original M4A1 that came out in the early 1990s, instead of using the pre-installed LE furniture released in the late 1990s / 2000s. I know that G&P make both of the products I'm looking for; however, I'm unsure whether they'll require any modification in order to fit the target AEG. Can someone with experience advise me whether these are the correct items to add to my shopping cart, or do I need to look for these parts from another manufacturer?

Thank you for your time & patience, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Josh
    "... But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

W.B. Yeats

Re: G&P furniture replacement for Marui Recoil Shock M4A1

The stock will definitely go on without any issues at all.

The handguard could be more problematic, G&P stuff isn't always on-spec with Marui. I don't think anyone else makes the slim handguard though so you'll have to try it and see!

Comment

Originally posted by Foden_357 View Post
      I'm looking to replace the butt-stock & handguard to make it look more like an original M4A1 that came out in the early 1990s, instead of using the pre-installed LE furniture released in the late 1990s / 2000s. I know that G&P make both of the products I'm looking for; however, I'm unsure whether they'll require any modification in order to fit the target AEG.
      The M4 as we know it today was only really finalised in 1995 - the original year of production in 1994 had A2-style upper receivers - and received the model number '920'. The stock you have is correct, but the handguards and delta ring you've chosen are wrong - the M4 debuted with the M4 handguards and tapered delta ring your gun already has, not the ribbed CAR-15-style handguards and straight delta ring you've linked. You can see it here.

To change your SOCOM into a mid-1990s M4A1, you will want:
      1. Stock: Colt 3rd Generation Collapsible. You've linked GP958B, but you can't use a G&P castle nut, buffer tube or receiver endplate, all of which are included with it - the TM has proprietary ones that aren't compatible. (Although you should definitely get an aftermarket steel castle nut suitable for the TM to prevent the buffer tube's threading stripping.) You may be able to buy just the stock itself (GP958) or you may have to buy the whole GP958B kit and sell the stuff you can't use.
      2. Delta Ring Assembly & Handguards: Colt M4 handguards and tapered delta ring. You've linked GP936A, which is the front end of a M653 - a variant of the M16A1 which debuted in the early 1970s. Like I say, strictly speaking the TM already has the correct M4 handguards and you don't have to change anything. However, if you want to change them (they are ABS) for something a bit nicer you will have to change the TM delta ring assembly (part of the horrible faux barrel nut system the Recoil Shocks are saddled with) at the same time. Like the factory handguards and handguard cap, the factory delta ring assembly is slightly too small for most AEG handguards. Part number GP122 is what you want - this includes a new (proper) delta ring assembly (GP123), M4 handguards (GP107) and a handguard cap (GP191). Be aware that if you ditch the shitty TM delta ring assembly the stupid two-part gas-tube should probably be changed too; GP167 is the correct part but will require you to grind off the nub on the receiver and drill a proper gas port. You can start putting more parts on there too (mine has a custom steel outer barrel, a steel front sight, a steel flash hider...) but these are the required ones to change the handguards properly.
      3. Pistol Grip: Colt A2 pistol grip. If you replace all the ABS furniture on the gun except for the fat, shiny pistol grip it'll stick out like even more of a sore thumb than it already does. VFC's VF9-GRP-M4E-BK01 (also advertised as 'slim A2 grip') is much slimmer and made of much nicer nylon fibre - it's one of my favourite upgrades on my SOPMOD and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

So, to build a mid-1990s M4A1 - GP958 is all that's necessary. If you want to upgrade to higher-quality furniture, GP122, GP167 and VF9-GRP-M4E-BK01.

Comment

Thank you both for your expedient responses, I really appreciate it!

Regarding your observations about my proposed upgrades, PureSilver; you can ignore the barrel in the image provided - it was the best photo I could find on G&P's website of the handguards I'm looking at (given the strict rules this forum has regarding 3rd party retailers) mounted on a 14.5'' outer barrel. There's a couple of websites in the UK where you can source the handguards by themselves!

The same goes for the stock; even though I no longer own my old G&P M653, I can remember enough to tell that the buffer tube on the TM SOCOM is not the same. I kinda' wish there was some overlap between me selling the old 'Barnes Carbine' & me acquiring my M4A1, so I could have tested part compatibility then & there...

That said; you appear to have superior knowledge regarding the aesthetic I'm aiming for, & I rally appreciate the model numbers for the items I'm looking for. I'll amend my shopping list accordingly!

With thanks,

Josh
        "... But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

W.B. Yeats

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Foden_357 Find out more about Foden_357
        Working...
        X