Are plastic gearboxes to be avoided?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are plastic gearboxes to be avoided?

I'm in the midst of getting a new airsoft gun in time for the NAE. The gun I'm currently looking at is the Ares AEG L85A2 AFV however I've heard it has a plastic gearbox. Should a plastic gearbox be a dealbreaker when you're spending £340+ on a gun? Even better if anyone here is familiar with this gun and can let me know how it performs and it's durability in terms of the gearbox.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Are plastic gearboxes to be avoided?

When you say plastic it's more likely to be nylon, which is very strong, has a little give so won't shatter, I have seen plenty of so called stronger metal based gearboxes break, only thing which would be better than nylon or standard cast aluminium alloy gb are cnc or steel
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Bare in mind as well that the body of the ARES is Steel, so its very strong.
      The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

a lot of the cheaper guns came with a plastic gearbox and are called LPEG's (low powered electric guns). When STAR released their L85 family of rifles they came with a poly carbonate gearbox shell which threw a lot of people as they thought it was a bad idea however the gearbox turned out to be just as good as a metal one. STAR /ARES eventually swapped to a metal gearbox, which you can buy separately, but this was more to appease the potential buyers and nothing to do with the plastic gearbox breaking.
        Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Jeez £340+ for an Ares? Two words: Hell no.

Take that money and buy a TM recoil shock gun second hand on here instead

Comment

I had a STAR (now Ares) M249 and that had a plastic (actually a type of poly carbonate) gearbox surround and it cracked 2 or 3 times ( and went back to Z1 to be repaired) before I bought a metal surround for it then the piston kept stripping in simple terms avoid.

If you want a L85 try the ICS I have not heard anything bad about them and my friends is a machine. Plus I agree with kodiak you can get a far better gun for that money.

Curlyboy
            'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

Just as another spanner in the works for you I have the G&G AFV , I feed it on 11.1v 800 lipo's and it's a great gatt lovely rate of fire on it AND you also get a free susat with it !
              From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

Never had a problem with my STAR (now ARES) '80 still going strong after 8 years on the polycarbonate gearbox...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
                Opinions are like ar**holes, everyone has one.

Usually found being very unimpressed by a lot of players, but gets a pleasant surprise when they actually have a clue on a game day.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

lizardlenny Find out more about lizardlenny
                Working...
                X