What gear should I grab for CQB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gear should I grab for CQB?

Hey, recently I have been really contemplating dropping into my first CQB airsoft match. I have been airsofting for 4 years and have encountered countless CQB moments at my local forest site but I feel like its time for me to play something different. I understand that protection is my priority when it gets to CQB and so I was wondering what gear I should pick up (mostly surplus or second hand because it only ends up getting destroyed after one skirmish anyway)
    I feel like I need a helmet but I am not sure which one would suit my current clothing which is a desert style color (http://imgur.com/a/jWTF8 I am the one with the gopro). I also think I should probably grab something more substantial than a shemagh and a gum shield if I dont want some teeth removal action. I think ear protection and also maybe some better gloves wouldn't go a miss ( I have the willey X gloves) they leave black on my hands from the leather and are a little too long lol.

Its a lot to ask from my budget of about £60 to £70. So I was wondering does anyone have anything they would prioritize over other gear E.G if you get shot in the ears loads then it might be worth me picking up better ear pro then getting a helmet. So what gear do you guys think is essential to CQB anything I have missed?

Re: What gear should I grab for CQB?

If you want that kind of kit for that budget, I'd suggest either a FAST type helmet (£30-40) + Peltor Ear Defenders (£10-15), or a MICH type helmet which would cover your ears a bit, anyway, and could be had for a similar price to FAST replicas.

I hear good things about Howard Leigh earmuffs, which have active protection, but are pricier, at about £45

Mesh masks can be had for £10-15 and will protect your face just fine, or alternatively get mesh masks that also cover your ears.

IMO getting hit in the ear hurts, but is very unlikely to cause hearing damage, so if your budget is super tight, I wouldn't worry about it. your face, eyes and head are higher concerns.

As for gloves, I like mechanix gloves, but run about £25-30.

All of the kit i've mentioned come in tan colours, bar the earpro, but they'll be a fairly minor part of your kit, anyway.

Comment

I am a CQB only player as I don't like the great outdoors.

Helmet wise I wear a cheap as chips M88 US army/SWAT helmet they can be bought very cheaply. They make a very loud tick when you get shot in the head. I used to get shot 3-10 times a match on the forehead or side of the head. This will protect your ears too. Plus you can buy covers for different environments. The buckles on the M88 cheapos are crappy though. I replaced these or sometimes don't do it up at all. They are also not very breathable so I drilled a ton of holes on mine for both ventilation and mounting stuff.

I also use a full face thermal paint ball mask (rated for 11J) to protect all my face. I have a shemagh around my neck and throat.

Previously I wore (with the M88) a pair of revision desert locust (good visibility) a shemagh then a lower mesh mask that went over my ears. Problem is there were still small gaps in face protection. There was an penny sized hole on my nose where the mesh didn't meet and 7mm of flesh between the mesh and the goggle. The mesh lower is highly breathable though. These little gaps were hit ALL the time.

The shemagh caused all sorts of fogging problems and you're constantly adjusting it. They do absorb most of the energy but you will get small red marks (non bleeding) underneath if it was a close range shot.

I also wear motorbiking gloves a nice pair of Bering leather gloves with hard knuckles.

All in all the M88 should cost £10 from a well known auction site.
      A mesh lower £5-10 depending on if you get only a frontal one or one that goes round your ears.
      Plus maybe some clippers/ hot glue gun to remove the gaps. Or just get a thermal paintball mask to skim all the hoo har.
      Gloves depends. I loathe hand shots.

+some decent anti fog goggles. As CQB always feels much hotter than outdoors. You'll be looking for shadows people cast. You'll be holding your breath to reduce the sound you make.

You also may want to think about protecting your family jewels. It's amazing how often I shoot people there with a low FPS gun (230) and see them keel over.

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention I am pretty sorted in eye pro area. Its only very recently that I have picked up some mesh ones so I have like 5 pairs of nice goggles with plastic not mesh. (I like using the revision bullet ants and I have a pair in tan too). I might look into getting one of the mesh face masks that can cover your ears. And I will just have to look around my local surplus stores for some helmets and see what there is otherwise I might resort to here for some. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

I have a swat style helmet you can have for 15 collected or 20 posted

Comment

idd recomend the full face mesh mask, cant post a link but if you ebay search "full face airsoft exreme mesh mask" your see them, they look like fencing helmets, , they do look abit gay but throw a black/camo balaclava over it and your laughing! as they offer almost full head protection {a couple of small gaps at the very back } whilst allowing you to breath properly ..iv been using one for the last 4 games after i took a nasty almost point blank shot to the top of the head , had a head ache for the rest of the day and totally put me off cqb encounters for that game...

Comment

I play primarily cqb....

I use:

A pair of mesh goggles - cqb is intense and I Always steam up in anything plastic
              A mesh lower face mask - chipped teeth, no thanks!
              I did wear a helmet for a while, but found it didn't help visibility in the dark areas of the game area
              A black hoodie
              A pair of baggy black swat pants
              A pair of knee pads
              Gloves with finger and knuckle protection
              A dump pouch on my belt,
              And a battle belt with mag pouches ect.

If you wear anything but black, you're relatively easy to spot. Black is sneaky.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

roryrocker13 Got into airsoft young. Been playing for around 6 years (as of Jan 2016) first gun was a Well l96. Small tip: dont get a sniper as your first gun. It requires much more patients than you will have and you will find it very hard the first couple of times. Find out more about roryrocker13
              Working...
              X