Wanting to get into GBB primary weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to get into GBB primary weapons

So Ive been airsofting for yeeeeaaaars now, and fancy a change from the norm. Ive had almost every type of AEG on offer now short of things like PTWs or Marui Recoil super high end stuff, and Im wanting to try something a bit different.

GBB Rifles/SMGs for use as a replacement to an AEG primary. But are there any that are actually suitable for use as a primary where you wont be at a massive disadvantage? I already run my AEGs with low/midcap mags so Im used to lack of ammo, but how about performance-wise? Whats actually out there that can rival an AEG, or has the possibility to be upgraded enough to give some really superb performance?

So basically what Im wanting to know is where do I start? Im aware GBBs require a load more maintenance, but what else am I getting myself into? I mostly play CQB so dont need insane range, but I'd like something that can perform solidly and offer decent range/accuracy if I need it.

Im fancying something like an MP7 perhaps, maybe getting a WE one as theyre relatively cheap to start with and see how it goes... how do these perform, are they any good? Or are there others worth considering instead? I'd love an M14 but they seem pretty unpopular and hella expensive which makes me think theyre potentially not that good, the reviews seem to reflect that too.

Re: Wanting to get into GBB primary weapons

I used a WE M4 for a few years as my primary, and I play mostly CQB. Yeah maintenance is something you have to keep on top of. In the end I'd keep spares of most of the internal parts so that field repairs were much simpler. Performance-wise, it worked really well. I found the range and accuracy to be more than good enough for my needs.

If you're used to mid or low cap mags, that cool, just bear in mind the mags are much heavier.

As for 'rivaling' an AEG. Not so sure really...... as far as I'm concerned, you run a GBB for how awesome it makes you feel, not how effective an airsofter it makes you.

Hope this helps. I know a lot of people hate W.E.'s, but I really loved mine and had a lot of fun with it. Must have put 20,000 rounds through it.

Comment

I must admit Im a big fan of crapping on W.Es because every W.E gun Ive owned has been utterly terrible, however that was all their early design GBB pistols. People seem to swear by them now and say their new stuff, especially from W.E Europe is actually half decent, as such Im willing to give them one last chance as a potential budget forray into the world of GBB rifles.

Is there much of an upgrade market for GBBs? With AEGs it seems every single part can be "upgraded" (usually with shiny anodised aluminium tat! :P ), how do GBBs fare for parts? Things like tightbore barrels and all the wierd & wonderful hop rubbers still available? Or is it just not needed?

Comment

If you're used to using low caps happily I'd say go for it. I think that's the biggest hurdle for most people to overcome. As long as you're using semi or short bursts, cool down isn't a major problem. Old W.E guns used to be crap, but now (especially for the price) they're the TM of the GBBR world as far as I'm concerned. I mean look at vfc. Twice the price and almost all of them useless. Mp5, ump, their new 417 has suffered problems.. I could go on. The we mp7 seems to be a really solid performer, and there are loads of aftermarket parts for most we guns. What I will say is their new hop up rubber, barrel chamber seems abit crap, but the vsr barrel/ nubs still swap straight in. Most guns have one or two things to watch out for, and if you have your heart set on the mp7 I'll find a video I watched a while back where the guy breaks it down and goes through things you might wanna keep an eye on. Preventative maintenance and all that.

As for maintenance, it sounds weird, but there's something oddly satisfying about stripping down a gbbr and cleaning it, but maybe that's just me. I personally would run it on propane but oil it after every day of use. Using green gas in the gun helps lube the gun, but it gets all over the hop and in the barrel, ruining consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by W0lf View Post
          As for maintenance, it sounds weird, but there's something oddly satisfying about stripping down a gbbr and cleaning it, but maybe that's just me.
          Not just you pal. Felt good!

Comment

Originally posted by W0lf View Post
            If you're used to using low caps happily I'd say go for it. I think that's the biggest hurdle for most people to overcome. As long as you're using semi or short bursts, cool down isn't a major problem. Old W.E guns used to be crap, but now (especially for the price) they're the TM of the GBBR world as far as I'm concerned. I mean look at vfc. Twice the price and almost all of them useless. Mp5, ump, their new 417 has suffered problems.. I could go on. The we mp7 seems to be a really solid performer, and there are loads of aftermarket parts for most we guns. What I will say is their new hop up rubber, barrel chamber seems abit crap, but the vsr barrel/ nubs still swap straight in. Most guns have one or two things to watch out for, and if you have your heart set on the mp7 I'll find a video I watched a while back where the guy breaks it down and goes through things you might wanna keep an eye on. Preventative maintenance and all that.

As for maintenance, it sounds weird, but there's something oddly satisfying about stripping down a gbbr and cleaning it, but maybe that's just me. I personally would run it on propane but oil it after every day of use. Using green gas in the gun helps lube the gun, but it gets all over the hop and in the barrel, ruining consistency.
            Im not necessarily completely set on an MP7, I just like the look of them and dont know if I fancy going all out on a full rifle just yet :P Im also eyeing up the KWA/KSC/ASG MP9 to relive my Perfect Dark N64 TMP glory days, and a lot of reivews seem to say its one of the best GBBs ever made (apparently?) so that could be a winner too.

Stripping and cleaning guns is pretty satisfying though I used to run my pistols on propane, but then I briefly "quit" airsoft for a while due to living in the middle of nowhere with no sites nearby, and sold all my kit, including propane adaptors Currently using abbey ultra for my pistols, need to get back into the propane game really too. Especially if Im gonna go all out on GBB weapons for the amount Ill be burning through!

Comment

For a rifle to use, I'd go for an MP7, but handle one first. It's ergonomics aren't fantastic, and for me, the stock leaves a little to be desired. I'd very much like to try one of WEs MP5s though.

GHK G5 rifles are also very good, as is almost anything by GHK in the GBBR department.

I've owned a RATech built M4, won't bother again. I believe the aluminium nozzle was probably the cause of most of its problems but it just didn't perform as fast as me.

Upgrades there's plenty for WEs M4 range. And GHK. TMs offering is new but that'll surely pick up more options as days go by.

Comment

If you get a WE M4 - stick with stock bits and build up a good inventory of spares imo (trigger boxes, bolts etc). For CQB the KWA Mac 11 with a silencer fitted would be my first option, but mine's a G&P steel kitted version with Wii Tech aluminium nozzle - it shoots fine, but not everybody's cuppa. For excellent recoil and imo better reliability (only just) over the M4's, the WE AK74'S are very good. Not had an mp7, but the Mp5's perform very well too. I've had no experience with GHK'S offerings, a bit more money, but whether they are genuinely better I don't know..

Comment

To be fair every WE rifle I've owned(yes even the scar H gbb) trails in comparison to everything ghk offers. The g5 and m4 are absolutely great.

Comment

One small point on the GHK G5 the magazines are not cheap compared to other brands and can be regarded as "fragile" if they hit a hard surface - they are heavy and hit hard!

I'd get a WE M4 (RIS) and have a play about. There are plenty for sale and a good stock of standard and upgrade parts are available.

But you really do need to properly clean them after every game day. Unlike AEGs which can do a bit of time between a proper clean the gas guns need proper love to keep them playing nice.

Good luck Steve
                    Move Fast - Kill All

And yes that Barrett is real and heavy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Airsoft Joe View Post
                      To be fair every WE rifle I've owned(yes even the scar H gbb) trails in comparison to everything ghk offers. The g5 and m4 are absolutely great.
                      Yes, I don't doubt it and the respective prices reflect that.

Comment

GHK for sure. AK's M4's and G5's are wonderful. Sure they're more expensive but I've had WE GBBR's which just couldn't shoot straight and hop up would have a mind of its own. You tend to see them being sold on the classifieds with aftermarket barrels and the like, along with a few mags. Breaks your heart when you pay another 100+ on upgraded inner barrels, hops etc

I find the stock GHK hopup do a decent job when they've been scrubbed in and dialled down, you could save yourself a bit of money if you skip straight to the higher tier with a few mags than buying the same in WE and then upgrading everything.
                        http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Comment

Originally posted by muzzleflash View Post
                          For CQB the KWA Mac 11 with a silencer fitted would be my first option, but mine's a G&P steel kitted version with Wii Tech aluminium nozzle - it shoots fine, but not everybody's cuppa.
                          Funny you should mention that, I've recently got a KSC/ASG Mac11 and it's ridiculously fun, utterly ludicrous ROF but I'm not convinced it would make a good primary, the range and accuracy are pretty lacklustre. But the noise and ROF more than makes up for that, thwarts what's made me want to try GBBs properly I think. Anything you can do to it to improve the Mac11?

Comment

I've just completely stripped out and rebuilt mine with new bolt, flute valve, nozzle springs etc. To be fair, I'm a collector of GBB's and have only cqb'd it a couple of times (I'm too old, ha ha!).

The Wii Tech ally nozzle is imo a worthy upgrade in terms of accuracy and power. I dropped in one of their new, redesigned flute valves and it's made a significant difference - but I use it only for can plinking nowadays, but it's certainly one gun I want to keep going and have bought lots of spares for it. As for off the shelf upgrades their isn't much tbh.

Comment

My GHK G5 has been my primary for a few years now with my GHK AK seeing a few games before I was set on getting a GHK M4. The beauty of the G5 is that is really doesn't need any upgrades. The only upgraded parts in mine are the charging handle and a maple leaf hop rubber. Everything else is stock and it's hitting 350 FPS and sending .3s out to around the 65 to 70 meter mark with very good accuracy. When you've got the gun sighted in on a decent red dot you rarely have to send loads of shots down range to score hits.

There are downsides though, like the auto disconnector breaking a couple of times and a snapped hammer, but those have broken over 3 years of use and the replacement parts are cheap and fairly easy to install. Also the magazines are heavy! I run 7 G5 mags and 6 AK mags and the weight quickly adds up.

I've not used an AEG since going GBB, even though I bought AEG's as backups but never actually needed them.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
                              Working...
                              X