AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but here goes....

Basically, i recently purchased a cyma aks-74u and i want to snazz up the wood funiture kit that is on it. This is because its almost bright orange and it looks very cheap.

I was considering using a tea bag to stain the wood to give it a darker, more badass look but im not too sure now.

I also heard that you can dye the wood with ink to get it dark in patches and if done well, it looks brilliant. But if done badly, well you know the rest

Problem is, this is my first time modifying a wood furniture kit and i really do not want to c**k it up and cheap replacement aks-74u wood handguards and not easy to come by.

All i want to know is, has anyone tried any of these techniques? how did it turn out? any other techniques to "pimp" your ak?

Be very greatful if you guys could help,

Thanks you

Jimmy

Re: AK

Take them off and re-varnish. Keep applying more coats untill you get the darkness you want - simples. Did this to one of mine, because wasn't happy with the lighter wood it came with.

EDIT: The one in my avatar isn't the one I re-coated, although thinking about doing the same with it.

Comment

Cheers, seems like a logical way to do it. Will i be able to remove it incase i want to re sell it or is it stuck like it?

Comment

That's the best part - if you're not happy with the outcome, sand it off and retry.

Comment

Aewsome! i think ill have to go with that method, i take it you havent tried any of the other techniques? Ive seen the tea dye method on a ak at UWG and it looks great, dont think you can go back it you c**k it up though :/

Comment

Nope, can't beat the varnish/wood stain method I think... just don't spill any.... not that I did of course *shifty eyes*

As for the teabag method, I'd image you'd be able to sand it off and retry, although i'd also imagine it would sink deeper into the wood thus needing more sanding to get it off!
            Don't want to sand too much though, won't have anything left hah.

Comment

Sweet, im picking it up from TWA on saturday and i will probably see to it that night after a days skirmishing and testing it works. Thanks for the help!#

Jimmy

Comment

No probs - I'll probs be going there myself this Sat.

Comment

give one or two coats of clear varnish to protect the wood when you are finished, will also make the wood look slightly darker.

Comment

Originally posted by davetherave View Post
                    give one or two coats of clear varnish to protect the wood when you are finished, will also make the wood look slightly darker.
                    But..... If hes already achieved the darkness he wants why would he want to make it slightly darker?? He doesn\'t need to apply varnish to protect more varnish!
                    Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                    Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

for colour, go with a wood stain, not varnish - test it first somewhere that won't show.

once you've got the right depth/shade of colour, a clear varnish would protect it and give you a glossy/matt finish depending on your preferred look.

h e y d r i c h
                      L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

Or just use wax (or linseed oil) to finish instead of varnish - it will look more authentic and less glossy. As far as I am aware the real steel versions are oiled/waxed rather than varnished.

Comment

ak's are ment to look battle hardend IMO,

get the right colour then gett a ball pan hammer and give it a good smacking!

or do what my dad did with his,

take the wood off and launch it across the front of the garden, then get the metal and slide it on the pavement,

looks good lol
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Parky
                          Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

And it still works ? sure it ain't real steel lol
                            Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

One of my mates gutted his ak and tied the parts to the back of his car and slowly drove round the block, have it a very very good worn look!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

TheCustardChucker Jimmy. that's all your getting. Find out more about TheCustardChucker
                              Working...
                              X