starting out, need advice on gear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting out, need advice on gear!

I have recently started going along with some friends to my local club and have decided it is 100% the sport of kings, and am now seeking to purchase my own gear rather than borrow the (hilariously innaccurate) cheap AEG mp5 and hardware-store googles I have been using.

of my party of six, four of them are using spring sniper-rifles as their main and one is using a scoped AEG m16; the group is heavily optimised for long range engagements and while we often win pub-game standoffs, we usually get horribly fleesed when the other team closes the distance or in close terrain.

I have decided to augment the group by optimising my gear for short ranges. I am new to the hobby so plan to buy fairly cheap gear until I know more about the sport, but for now I have absolutely fallen in love with the Tri-shot M3 and pending purchase of my own (I am looking or places in the UK that sell them to little success, if anyone could link me or sell me one I would be in love - http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...731#post415731), will be using one as my main for at least a month or two.

so, to all you veterens out there, I seek thy mighty wisdom-

what accessories should I get/where from? I rather want a leather shell holder on the gun and a bandoleer for the rest of the shells, but am unsure where best to purchase?

shorty or stock? im going for shorty atm on the grounds there seem to be more of them for sale

is the m3 workable as a main?

advice for closing the distance in woodlands terrain?

how best to augment a group of snipers with a close range weapon?

slamfiring - OK in emergencies?

should I get a sight or rely on the spread?

0.2g or 0.25g BBs?

any advice very welcome

Re: starting out, need advice on gear!

The M3 is skirmishable as long as its TM. The full length has the range and accuracy of the VSR series, plus the tri-shot makes missing an enemy nearly impossible. For a new player they cost a fair ammount, but no need for gas or batteries. Just stock up on plenty of shells. .25s work very well in these.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1855

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1854

Comment

is the DE imitation workable?

Comment

Yes it is, the DE ones are perfectly skirmishable. After using my mates one I don't think it'll last you forever, but take decent care of one and I'd suspect it would last you a good year or two at least. And for around £40 if you get 2 years out of it, I think thats not bad value. Oh and whilst I'm on this subject I also own a TM m3 (http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1854) and yes there is a difference between them and the imitations and the major one is about £100 in the cost. Yes the TM one will probably last a lot longer but its not the only option to go for.
        Last edited by psirus101; 9 July, 2010, 19:50. Reason: Spelling,

Comment

what accessories should I get/where from? I rather want a leather shell holder on the gun and a bandoleer for the rest of the shells, but am unsure where best to purchase - Just buy shed loads of DE shells and something to hold them in

shorty or stock? im going for shorty atm on the grounds there seem to be more of them for sale - I prefer stocked as its a damn sight easier to cock when in your shoulder

is the m3 workable as a main - Yes it can be as long as you use it right and pick your targets carefully ie avoid fire fights at range with full auto

advice for closing the distance in woodlands terrain - run bloody quick from tree to tree

how best to augment a group of snipers with a close range weapon - something full auto

slamfiring - OK in emergencies - dont! although you can do it with some shotguns it puts terrible strain on parts causing breakage

should I get a sight or rely on the spread - stupid question, always aim

0.2g or 0.25g BBs - TM fixed hops are set to .25gs i believe

ALSO GET YOUR UKARA SORTED FIRST SO YOU CAN BUY A RIF!!!!!!

Comment

@ UKARA, im direct debitting money to a friend to buy it for me and hold onto it for games until I get my licsence

@ Sights - sorry to clarify, I meant does the usage of a shotgun merit expenditure on a sight, or are they too short ranged?

Comment

There is no airsoft licence. If you want a sight get one, I wouldn't but then I don't like the look of anything other than spare shells on a shotgun. Is a sight needed.... No.

Comment

Airsoft shotguns arent exactly short range, but i wouldnt bother with a sight personally, on a shotgun it looks ridiculous, unless you change the exterior for something ultra modern

A gun :p
                Cheap Camo
                shells (would say about 16 shells in your case, if a shotgun is gonna be your primary)
                Somewhere to put the shells (a few different choices, whichever looks best to you)
                safety shizz (goggles and a shemagh, or a full face mask)
                and for the love of god get a speedloader :D
                hasta la vista, baby

Comment

Let's straighten things up here. Marui's tri shot guns are using one spring to push THREE cylinders through fixed hops. They have nothing like the range of any other gun I have used. They are short ranged.

The spread on the three shots is also minimal.

However. Shotguns look the tits and make you feel the man. Only for these reasons should you invest.

Comment

they are usefull at about 25 meters for keeping the enemy pinned down,they also give your arm a workout....
                    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
                      The M3 is skirmishable as long as its TM. The full length has the range and accuracy of the VSR series, plus the tri-shot makes missing an enemy nearly impossible. For a new player they cost a fair ammount, but no need for gas or batteries. Just stock up on plenty of shells. .25s work very well in these.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1855

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1854
                      Sorry but the full size one is no different to the short one. Well apart from the cosmetics.
                      All TM tri shot shotguns use the same internals.

Originally posted by I.King View Post
                      I have recently started going along with some friends to my local club and have decided it is 100% the sport of kings, and am now seeking to purchase my own gear rather than borrow the (hilariously innaccurate) cheap AEG mp5 and hardware-store googles I have been using.

of my party of six, four of them are using spring sniper-rifles as their main and one is using a scoped AEG m16; the group is heavily optimised for long range engagements and while we often win pub-game standoffs, we usually get horribly fleesed when the other team closes the distance or in close terrain.

I have decided to augment the group by optimising my gear for short ranges. I am new to the hobby so plan to buy fairly cheap gear until I know more about the sport, but for now I have absolutely fallen in love with the Tri-shot M3 and pending purchase of my own (I am looking or places in the UK that sell them to little success, if anyone could link me or sell me one I would be in love - http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...731#post415731), will be using one as my main for at least a month or two.

so, to all you veterens out there, I seek thy mighty wisdom-

what accessories should I get/where from? I rather want a leather shell holder on the gun and a bandoleer for the rest of the shells, but am unsure where best to purchase?
                      Good idea for accessories there. TM did a shell holder which attached to the stock if you can find it but that's only good for the ones with stock obviously.
                      As for a bandoleer, I'd personally go with a shell belt. You can pick them up pretty cheaply a well known auction website.
                      Something else you could do is add a shell holder to the side of the gun. I've done it with my M3 using the velcro shell holder from a tac vest and some sticky backed velcro.

shorty or stock? im going for shorty atm on the grounds there seem to be more of them for sale
                      I own the full size M3 and it's the same size as an M16. In woodland that isn't so much of a problem but if you ever play CQB it makes the gun a pain to use so if I were buying again I'd go for a shorty and if you can find one a shorty with a stock. If you can't find one with a stock then G&P make a sliding one which is far from perfect (it wobbles after a while) it makes aiming a lot easier. Plus it looks cool
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DSC00059.jpg

is the m3 workable as a main?
                      Yes but only if you play within it's limitations. You have to pick your shots and basically be a sneaky bugger.

[quote]advice for closing the distance in woodlands terrain?[quote] Be a sneaky bugger and be quick with it. Try sticking to the flanks and sneak up on your enemy.

[quote]how best to augment a group of snipers with a close range weapon?[quote] Get an AEG. Sorry to say it but the TM shottys generally only just cover snipers M.E.D. (minimum engagement distance) so when the enemy close in you're going to be hard pushed to take them out quick enough with a shotty. I tend to think of the TM shottys as a short range sniper weapon. Not something I'd pick to cover a snipers back and definitely not something to cover 4 snipers.

slamfiring - OK in emergencies?
                      Well you wouldn't catch me doing it. Spares are as rare as rocking horse poop. Not to mention that they are an absolute nightmare to take apart.

should I get a sight or rely on the spread?
                      The iron sights are good but iirc they aren't painted so some white paint on them really helps. The spread isn't massive either. Basically it opens up as the bbs drop. You're probably looking at a 6-8" spread at max range.

[quote]0.2g or 0.25g BBs?[quote]Well the hop is apparently set for .25s but I've never really had any trouble using .2s in mine. .25s will give you slightly better accuracy though so that's one thing to keep in mind.

any advice very welcome
                      I think I've covered most things but I will say that if you're wanting a lot of shells get the DE ones. They are a lot cheaper than TM ones and work fine. Also get a speed loader.
                      If you can't find a TM one I wouldn't rule out the DE ones.
                      The hop isn't quite as good as the TM ones but they have slightly more power which makes up for it slightly. Also the build quality isn't quite as good as the TM but then you're generally paying 1/3 of the price.

Comment

Thankyou for the comprehensive response Evansy, I appreciate it

If the innards are the same between the short and long versions, and the effective range is really just around 25', I think I'll go for a short, pistol grip model- that way, when I get a more expensive main the shotty can become my sidearm. Reviews suggest the Desert Eage M56 is the budget shotty of choice, so I'll go for the DE M56B (short, pistol grip).

The DE M56B dosnt seem to be in stock in 90% of online providers in the UK, though

Retailer links removed

Good idea for accessories there. TM did a shell holder which attached to the stock if you can find it but that's only good for the ones with stock obviously.
                        As for a bandoleer, I'd personally go with a shell belt. You can pick them up pretty cheaply a well known auction website.
                        Something else you could do is add a shell holder to the side of the gun. I've done it with my M3 using the velcro shell holder from a tac vest and some sticky backed velcro.
                        Is there a retail shell holder that attatches to the side of the gun anywhere?

Can you recommend a particular kind or make of shell belt?
                        Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 10 July, 2010, 17:56.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

I.King an hero Find out more about I.King
                        Working...
                        X