Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping for a free float rail system

Hello Everyone

Ive a few standard m4's with the standard front end e.g rails that attach up to the delta ring and a front triangle style sight

My question is how would you change this out to a free float rail system?

Would i need a gas block or a whole new front end including outer barrel?

Also do you need a gas tube to be able to do this ?

thanks in advance

will:D

Re: Swapping for a free float rail system

It should be fine if you replace only your handguard for a free float one. You won't need a gas block/tube, but it's always good to have, it helps keep the rails in line.

To change it out, you remove the 2 piece RIS handguard you have now. It's a good idea to remove the inner barrel and hopup chamber beforehand to avoid any damage etc.
    Take off your flash hider and any shims there.
    Use a metal punch and a hammer and gently knock out the two pins on the front iron sight, it should just slide off the end of the barrel now, along with the plate used to hold the rails in place and the gas tube.
    You're best off getting a delta ring wrench for this part: unscrew the delta ring from the outer barrel/receiver. The outer barrel will detach from the receiver.
    Your free float handguard will typically have a threaded end. Fit the outer barrel back into the receiver and put on the new handguard, screwing it onto the receiver (sandwiching the outer barrel's rim between the handguard and the receiver)
    You may find that the handguard doesn't line up with the receiver's top rail properly, you'll need to get hold of some delta ring shims or find a substitute, they go between the outer barrel rim and the handguard's thread to add space effectively locking the handguard at an earlier angle. It'll take some trial and error to get the right spacing.

Comment

Re: Swapping for a free float rail system

Originally posted by grey View Post
      It should be fine if you replace only your handguard for a free float one. You won't need a gas block/tube, but it's always good to have, it helps keep the rails in line.

To change it out, you remove the 2 piece RIS handguard you have now. It's a good idea to remove the inner barrel and hopup chamber beforehand to avoid any damage etc.
      Take off your flash hider and any shims there.
      Use a metal punch and a hammer and gently knock out the two pins on the front iron sight, it should just slide off the end of the barrel now, along with the plate used to hold the rails in place and the gas tube.
      You're best off getting a delta ring wrench for this part: unscrew the delta ring from the outer barrel/receiver. The outer barrel will detach from the receiver.
      Your free float handguard will typically have a threaded end. Fit the outer barrel back into the receiver and put on the new handguard, screwing it onto the receiver (sandwiching the outer barrel's rim between the handguard and the receiver)
      You may find that the handguard doesn't line up with the receiver's top rail properly, you'll need to get hold of some delta ring shims or find a substitute, they go between the outer barrel rim and the handguard's thread to add space effectively locking the handguard at an earlier angle. It'll take some trial and error to get the right spacing.

Ta-dahhh, exactly how i did it, although mine fit snugly onto my CA M15A2 cos CA m4s are awesome

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Willyham Find out more about Willyham
      Working...
      X