Charger advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charger advice

Yesterday I spent £25 on a nice new pro peak varipulse charger and got home to find it didn't fit the mini tamiya on my battery... Back to the shop I went to get a set of mini tamiyas, I cut the end off my charger and rewired a smaller connector and was pretty chuffed with myself.

Then I plugged the battery to the charger turned it on, heard a hiss, saw a puff of smoke and now it doesn't charge!! The fan still goes around so the fuse in the plug must be ok but the charging light goes neither green (trickle charge) or red (full charge) when the battery is connected...

Is it proper fucked now or has anyone done a similar thing and know how to rectify it?!

Re: Charger advice

The fan in the plug will be operated by either the mains power or the battery, so it's possible that you've blown something in the charger and the battery is running the fan.

Stupid question time; did you double check the polarity before you re-wired it?

If it's totally knackered, you can still use it as a discharger for nicads as the fan will run the battery down.
    sigpic

Comment

Stupid answer time: no I didn't check the polarity and really wish I had!! I super wanted to charge the battery and figured it was a 50/50 punt!

Won't be doing it again!

Do you recon there is another fuse inside the charger or have I shafted it good and proper?

Comment

Re: Charger advice

You might be lucky, but the smoke isn't a good sign!

Check the fuse in the plug and if that's OK open it up and see if there's an internal one. After all, you've got nothing to lose by trying (as long as it isn't plugged in at the time, in which case you might lose your life!).
        sigpic

Comment

Lol, I'll give it a whirl...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

m4tt Find out more about m4tt
          Working...
          X