Metal vs plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal vs plastic

Are there any advantages between either apart from the obvious weight difference.
    I've been looking at metal M4's (ICS) and have not considered the plastic versions..should I??

The obvious one is that if dropped or stepped on then metal ones are less likley to break.
    With the exeption of the ones that are supposed to be some form of plastic (only g36 springs to mind at the mo) i steer clear of plastics for that reason, just dont like the feel of a plastic weapon that in the real world should be steel.
    However you will find plastic versions are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Metal vs plastic

As above, but, If they are not mean't to be metal, as in the G36 series, I look for polymer externals and not ABS.

There's a reason real steel manufacturers use this substance over ABS, and that is strength and lightness
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

The plastic on the ICS plastic guns is very good quality. Very much different from the brittle ABS found in China guns and CA sportlines.
        It's tough, flexible nylon polymer, and it can take quite a beating. It would have to drop from pretty high up to crack (unless you dropped it onto the barrel or something), so I can stand by it as being a very good body. It's also a nice, flat matte black without any paint to chip, so it looks nice as well, unlike the tackier alternatives.

Obviously not as realistic or as nice as the full-metal bodies, but for the price, they really can't be beat.

Comment

Well I have to admit not trying many china guns, but owning a couple of JG and CYMA ones, I don't find their plastic brittle or poor quality, quite the opposite in fact.
          Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

CA are though i stepped on a guys M4 a while ago and put a nice boot shaped crack in the upper and lower reciever.
            But my plastic Galaxy MP5k is very flexible plastic i think if stepped on the insides would break before the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually ABS plastic may seem brittle but it can take a huge hit as ABS plastic is Anti ballistic shock plastic designed to stick its middle finger up at falls and vibration based damages blah blah blah but ofc metal is stronger to a degree if someone stepped on say a GBB meta pistol the frame could warp and ruin the gun where as ABS if stepped of would take the hit better.

Its a matter of opinion they both have equal pro's and Con's
              Originally Posted by balaclava ben
              i like to fill those cracks with the good old white stuff
              sigpic

Comment

My FAMAS is ABS, it's not bad at all. There's always the issues of plastic on plastic creaking, but that can be sorted out with either a bit of silicon lube or some duct tape inbetween contact points.

I'd still prefer nylon/glass fibre over ABS, it's got a more solid feel to it. Also, I wouldn't go for plastic/NyPo on a gun that's meant to be metal, doesn't feel right at all.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

snuff Find out more about snuff
                Working...
                X