Looking at bolties and a bit confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at bolties and a bit confused

Right i have decided to get a starter bolt action rifle but i am a little confused with what models are compatible with parts.

I love the look of the L96 but as far as im aware the two main types are...
    TM - L96 AWS has the true location for the mag. General costs of upgrades are more? The rifle its self costs more.
    WELL/WARRIOR/UTG/Maruzen - L96 all share the same parts can be quite cheap, more upgrade parts around? Different mag location.

VSR based rifles...
    TM/HFC/JG/WELL/AGM - I honestly dont have a clue if they are all the same parts or not as there seems to be so many.

Anyhow I see quite a few on the forsale section its just a bit daunting trying decide what version/make to go for. Any advice is more than welcome.
    Thanks
    Alex
    RA Custom Co2 HK416 DMR Project

Many will say a vsr would be an ideal starting platform .

However I do love the l96 and was my first sniper.

Buy a better brand for better quality - as the general rule .

Look into upgrading slowly if sniping is for you.

Regards- James

Edit: ask around at your site ( I guess it's woodland ) to see and maybe shoot a variety so you find something that suits you.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Looking at bolties and a bit confused

ive had quite a few sniper rifles and also started with a maruzen l96 which was partly upgraded, then moved onto a fully upgraded l96.... then went for prety much fully upgraded VSR

the only thing missing from the vsr was the teflon cylinder and zero trigger but with upgraded trigger sears there is no need for a zero trigger uni.

from experience and costly learnings (but was fun).... i would say go for a VSR if you want best performance and more importantly, consistency.

i have found every l96 i have owned was nto as consistent as a VSR, and i like how easily adjustable the hop is on a VSR.

as for compatability.... if you get a warrior / maruzen l96 get type 96 parts

if you get a VSR it doesn't matter what make really, TM parts are compatable with JG parts etc, your best to go all PDI or all Laylax usually but ive had laylax parts with pdi parts and not hit any problems.

Summary - get a VSR gspec / bar 10..... either TM or JG, up to you.

upgrade it when u can but you don't need a zero trigger, just get some upgraded sears and spend ur savings on gear.

Comment

Agreed vsr or a bar 10 on a budget, although aw338s are on my want list!
        sigpic

Comment

Great advice guys. Have a couple more questions for you guys with the vsr's. Alot of reviews talk about the safty being a bit of a pain and can be locked into safe by knocking with the bolt handle. Is this really a big problem or just an issue with learning the gun?

Also for the L96 guys. Whats the deal with the two triggers im guessing its a saftey thing but it must be a pain when trying to shoot to have to depress two at once. Also is the hop up system really as bad as people make out?

Comment

VSR bolt knocking safety thing - never came accross this problem on both TM and JG versions ive owned, usually the safety lever is snapped off anyways and when ur in the safe zone you have your mag out so safety = useless kinda :/

so no issues had personally with safety thing u questioned

as for L96's double trigger thing.... the 2nd trigger is prety useless it just catches onto a point inside the trigger mech so your not supposed to be able to pull the trigger unless you pull both parts at same time.

personally i removed the 2ndry trigger in mine as it felt more responsive when i pulled the trigger :/

Hop up system isn't so much a problem mechanically wise its just irritating you have to use an allen key and fiddle arround with it inside a magwell, VSR hop adjustment is just so much easier...

Owned both snipers and would say get a vsr, its far better sniping experience

Comment

Great just what i wanted to know. Thanks so much for being patient with all my questions. But i do have 1 more! Now im on the VSR route im trying to work out what version to get. From what i have read the G-Spec just has a shorter inner barrel compared to the Pro and is generaly not upgraded to 555mm inner barrels. Is that really much of a big deal?

Comment

apparently not but if your a first time buyer id say go for the longer barrel option.

if you end up purchasing a tightbore barrel in the future i believe there is no price difference in length....

i had a vsr g spec with extended tightbore barrel into the silencer and was getting up to 90 metres accurate headshots with it, i currently own a g spec with a normal lengthed (short) tightbore barrel but can't say how good it is at range and accuracy yet as i need to get a few £££ to throw into it

so get a 2nd hand vsr really and get the long barreled version, people will say "length doesn't make a difference" but personally i think it makes some difference with bb stability n such.

Comment

That top one is amazing!
                  (Top) G-Spec: 500fps
                  -Smokey’s Stock
                  -Barska 6.5-20x-50mm
                  -High rise scope mount
                  -Zero Trigger/High Pressure Piston
                  -Teflon Cylinder
                  -150sp
                  -Damper Cylinder Head
                  -Ball Bearing Spring Guide
                  -Laylax Silencer attachment
                  -King Arms Light Weight 290mm Silencer

Found it on another forum but wow i never knew the vrs's can look that good!

Comment

Looks more like a PSG-1 if you ask me , amazing what you can do with some custom parts.

Comment

If you look in the tech section under single action ....

there are two or three upgrade threads and compatible parts on each ....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Nighthawk Find out more about Nighthawk
                      Working...
                      X