X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying parts from abroad

hi all,

i need some legal info.

i am looking to buy a metal body from china that i have found online but am confused as to what is ok to do and what is not. i do not have ukara defense and am just trying to maintain what i had before the vcra came into effect.

any help would be great

Re: buying parts from abroad

Are you sure you can't get the part in the UK? Often with parts, with shipping and customs charges (as well as the courier handling fee) there's not much, if any, advantage to buying from overseas.

Comment

Should be absoultly fine mate, as your not modifiying a IF, as i presume your just changing the body on a RIF

Comment

yes mate got a lovely crack in the body and getting bigger every time i pick it up. i cant even find this body in stock in the uk and been out of stock for ages over here

Comment

Legally you will have no problems. You don't even need a defence to import parts.

Be prepared to pay import tax and a clearance fee or whatever it's called.

Won't be much though.

Comment

yeah expecting that when i order. will it be requested before they release it from customs or do they send a bill?

Comment

The courier will charge normally, as they pay the fee on your behalf then ask for you to pay them back. (Couldn't say for every courier though)

For me when UPS did a delivery, they asked for cash on collection.
              I had been expecting to pay tax on my order, and the amount they asked for was what I had calculated the tax to be.

Comment

that is great info many thanks for that :D

Comment

yeah you've got no problem mate! like mentioned above just as long as you are not changing a IF into a RIF its fine. ive been lucky, some shops ive found somehow pay it for you/have it included in the price when buying stuff from hongkong. and sometimes i just havnt had to pay inport tax at all. for example me and my mate bought some barrels from a wolf that is red, ordered them to his house and a bill came through a week or so later. since then ive bought 2 more from the same shop plus other parts and havnt had to pay any tax. personally ive found it rather intermittant but maybe ive just been extreamly lucky haha!
                  Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

i never pay tax on parts, at least never been asked to anyway,luck?
                    sigpic

Comment

Probably not luck.

I think if the shop sells it as a gift, or atleast marks the item as a gift then it's tax exempt. I know hk sites mark items they ship as gifts to avoid the buyer having to pay a tax.

Comment

the four letter retailer from HK so probably the gift thing then
                        sigpic

Comment

Bit naughty as a gift only counts as one private individual to another - but i'm not complaining

Comment

Originally posted by JOE90 View Post
                            the four letter retailer from HK so probably the gift thing then
                            really? awaiting an order from these guys atm. I thought they mark everything as "100% Market Value" or something like that- however this means it's still gonna get taxed?

And isn't there limits on weight and price? Anything under £18 or something is tax exempt... well that's what I've heard/been told... It's all very confuzzling.

I would only suggest buying abroad if you cannot find the part in UK, or can't get anyone to order it in, and are buying in bulk, to make up for shipping and handling.
                            sigpic

Comment

well most of the spares i want are so much cheaper from HK imo, probably where ive never paid tax, lol, also they stock alot of stuff our retailers just dont unless special order
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

urban spec-ops Find out more about urban spec-ops
                              Working...
                              X