Trying to decide ICS M4 or MP5 SD6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide ICS M4 or MP5 SD6

Im just getting into airsoft and looking for an all round first gun. Interested in Ground zero woodland and CQB.

I like to get into the thick of the action but still need some distance in woodland.

I am looking at the following two guns and struggling to make a decision.

ICS Automatic Electric Rifle M4A1 Carbine Sportline Series
    ICS Automatic Electric SMG MP5SD6

Any help?

Re: Trying to decide ICS M4 or MP5 SD6

Also interested if anywhere local to Poole or Bournemouth where I can see the two models in person and possibly handle them to compare differences?

Comment

Out the box they will probably perform the same, i.e.; you'll probably get the same amount of range with either.

It really depends on your needs.

The M4 is certainly easier to upgrade internally thanks to the split GB, so if you fancy cracking in open and getting into the meat of the gun, the M4 is the way to go. It also has the advantage of accepting a wide variety of accessories, including handguards and stocks, though ICS is a bit picky about which parts it fits, generally TM-compatible parts will fit, if only with a bit of modding.

The MP5 is a decent all-rounder, and has the advantage of being almost entirely compatible with other parts, but isn't quite as easy to upgrade due to being a standard V2 gearbox.

I haven't used an MP5 in ages, but I do recall the mags being a bit hit-and-miss. Which isn't much of a downside, if you get good ones. Other than that, the choice is largely aesthetic.

Comment

I would say get the MP5 and stick a tightbore barrel in it. Then you have long range for woodland and a nice compact aeg for your CQB needs. To birds with one stone.

I've always found an m4 too big for cqb
        Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
        I've never seen an Aug look so large :p

Comment

Zero One should be able to help you bud

and welcome to airsoft
          sigpic

Comment

If it will stay pretty much standard grab the M4 and just stick a better motor in it as the sportline ones sound like they are about to explode. Despite popular belief it is a c**t to externaly upgrade.

The MP5 im sure with the right TB and hop rubber combination could be a very good woodland weapon and is much easier to put aftermarket externals on.

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
              If it will stay pretty much standard grab the M4 and just stick a better motor in it as the sportline ones sound like they are about to explode. Despite popular belief it is a c**t to externaly upgrade.

I have to agree with this sentiment.
              If the idea of taking a coarse metal file or hacksaw to your new metal external accessory puts you off, it may not be in your best interest, unless you choose to use exclusively ICS parts.

For instance, TM-style outer barrels will slip right on an ICS, but they need the hop-up "wing" slot widened up with a file and have a notch filed on the external square portion if you wish to use a RIS handguard.
              Stock tube sling mounts also need to have bits filed off.

Comment

What aboyt the M4 carbine?
                I've had an Mp5 but I wasn't happy with the range,I got the M4 and the range is so much better,I've fitted a tight bore and that improved accuracy but that's all I've done.
                I have got the full metal version with the 3ooo gearbox if that makes any difference,I would/couldn't change it for anything else...at the moment anyway..
                They are a pig for body upgrades(magpul handguard) but do they need them?
                The carbine is ok for CQB but I carry a pistol anyway.

Comment

Ive had both and the range on the m4 was awesome, although it was the metal version, only difference is the pLastic parts in some places and the motor, instead of the turbo 3000 in the metal, the sportline uses an infinity motor but starting out its certainly enough although a bit loud.

Ive had a metal and plastic MP5 and quality wise there was not much difference but the range was poor compared to the m4.

If you want an MP5 then go for ICS but if you prefere the M4 then you may want to consider the G&G ones as they run the same price (i think) and look uber cool, very well made and plastic tough as hell I beleive. I run with a TM SOPMOD and Magpul Masada but considering getting one of the below soon as backup as heard very good things and you get the benefit of a RIS (not sure if metal or plastic) and a shorter CQB gun that can be used in both woodland and CQB

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5775
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, very useful.

I thought the ICS MP5 SD6 came with the ICS split gear box, thats at least what the other reviews on the internet state.

I was looking for an easy to maintain gun hence the choice of ICS.

I was not sure if the ICS M4 sports line would be better range or accuracy than the ICS MP5 SD6 (not sport line).

I was also wondering if the MP5 would be better/ tougher quality as it is not sports line and has metal components.

The obvious advantage for the M4 is the £160 price compared with £210 of MP5.

Was wondering what the key differences were and the best choice. I wont be modifying the guns much, but if I did would not mind modifying the parts as mentioned above.

Comment

The metal M4 is how much more?? Everything about them is good,weight,action and as said the 3000 motor...:D

Comment

I like the look and reviews of the ICS metal M4 but is outside my price range (max £210).

Thats why I am looking at M4 sportlines or MP4 SD6 (both ICS)

I was guessing that the MP5 was better build quality and similar range as it is not the sports line, however if the sportline is very good (or better suited) I could save some money for extras like scope etc.

Comment

Try the classifieds on here,I got mine with minimal useage in vgc..some people buy guns and just don't like them when they try them..
                          You may also find that a lot of the (un-)necessary upgrades are done already...
                          Ask the right questions of course,rounds fired,what's included,etc,etc.
                          Example here-I'm not saying buy it the seller has nothing to do with me,I'm just showing you what you could get for your money...ok mods??

Comment

I'd go with the M4. I know everyone moans about the issues of adding aftermarket parts externally, but there are a lot that fit (or fit with minor modding). There aren't nearly as many aftermarket parts available for an MP5, so once you've got it, it'll pretty much look like a standard MP5 for life anyway. The split gearbox design on the M4 is awesome. I think only the new MP5s have a split gearbox so check which model you're interested in.

If you go for the M4 carbine, and find it is a little too long for CQB you can save up and buy a CQB upper for it. Pop out two pins on the body and swap the entire top over. Those are pretty expensive on ZeroOne http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=4431 but they come up on here every so often for good prices, or you buy them a piece at a time as the bits appear in the classifieds

Or just go for the ICS CQB M4 anyway - you'll get surprisingly good range for woodland! Nice and short for CQB.

If you're in or near Poole ZeroOne is based there. Go in and fondle the guns before you buy

Comment

Ive just bought an m4 cqb stubby and the range is not what you expect i use it for woodland and it goes far

ive had a mp5 and prefer this m4

But price is always the problem

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mylier Find out more about Mylier
                              Working...
                              X